Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica for Slane 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This lad has a few videos up and was right up the front https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgDjsVW9t2XNN2m65bh-tCw/videos

and to think people were getting annoyed at the thought of whiskey being played!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

rubadub wrote: »
    This lad has a few videos up and was right up the front https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgDjsVW9t2XNN2m65bh-tCw/videos

and to think people were getting annoyed at the thought of whiskey being played!!

He sounded like the guy who sings the intro to "sponge bob square pants"

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Dont think that was him, this fellah only went in for one song and then back out and off him and his missus went.

Apologies, the person I was talking about had a Ride the Lightning top on.

horgan_p wrote: »
    Apologies, the person I was talking about had a Ride the Lightning top on.

Haha ok, I just edited my other post :D This is all very confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Another highlight for me was during the lull before Ghost when the rain was at a heavy point and black hole sun was playing the crowd shouting their lungs out

Black hole sun won't you come.
    AND WASH AWAY THE RAIN!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Apparently they paid tribute to the chap who passed away in the motorbike crash recently?

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Apparently they paid tribute to the chap who passed away in the motorbike crash recently?

Yea I think it was at the end of One.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

DaveyDave wrote: »

Heard james mention someone’s name before nothing else matters alright didn’t ring any bells to me so that might well have been it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

It was an amazing gig. Weather could have been worse. I swore after the awful time I had coming home from GNR that I was definitely done with Slane but camping this time made all the difference. Met some lovely people and had a ball :)

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

Which was fine until him and his buddy started swinging at the people outside the pit. To clarify - a person on the edge of the pit pushed him away from his wife and back into the pit. This clown's buddy literally walked up and squared up to the person on the edge of the pit.

And I've been around long enough to know the difference between slam dancing and just acting the p**ck.

Was that an ould lad 50-60 with long hair and his buddy a shorter fella with a tight hair cut by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭dasdog

Well I had a ball. Went up Friday and the campsite was good fun. Some lad beside us had a van with an unbelievably loud stereo but he was playing some good music (Reign in Blood got an outing). Went in for SLF who I enjoyed, I'd forgotten about some of their songs. Ghost were okay, not really for me but they put on a good performance.

Really enjoyed Metallica. Got a good spot bang in the centre a few rows back from the barrier of the standing area. Three songs in and Ride the Lightning gets played...that's when this show hit me. When they played MOP I found myself welling up a bit. 31 years after I first saw this band they are headlining Slane playing puppets. Never in my wildest dreams as a young kid would I have envisaged that happening.

Easy getting in and out to the campsite. Definitely the way to go if I ever return.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

I'm not complaining about moshing, since that's a thing of its own to be expected at any sort of rock gig

But at one stage I got a damn hard open slap to the back of my head at the end of The Unforgiven, was down near the front to the left of the main cameras

I'm positive I didn't do anything myself like stand on toes or have my hands flying back, but I was paranoid and self aware then for the rest of the gig and I'd always be checking myself then during any of the bigger bits in the rest of the set, I wouldn't go as far as to say it ruined the gig for me but it did annoy me
    Fair point. And some people can be hideously unaware of where the pit ends and who doesn't want to be a part of it. They're usually people who aren't from the metal scene and go to one gig a year. Four pints in the sun and they're done.

Got whacked myself last night. By a woman twice my age. At The Cure. Was just an accidental symptom of being in a lively part of the crowd.

Not advocating at all for reckless moshing. At large metal festivals these things are usually impeccably self policed. Perhaps at Slane it was a bit different.

I do struggle with the other side of it, though. For all our self professed craic, Ireland's not half got some of the most stand offish, play-something-we-know crowds. The folded arms brigade. Just gotta find your turf I guess!

Had someone at a local gig a few weeks ago tell me and my other half to stop headbanging because he was white knighting for the girl he was with that night. Who wanted to stand front and centre of a pit friendly gig without spilling a drop of cider. I just smiled back at him like a maniac.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Also was anyone else in disbelief that a circle pit opened up on the right side of the hill during Frantic? Of all songs! I really enjoyed it live though (hadn’t seen them play it since 2003).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I haven't really listened to Metallica for about 20 years although some of the brothers would have had it on in the house. I got 2 tickets for GNR last year and brought one of the he brothers and he repaid the favour this year. I genuinely thought I wouldn't know most of the songs having not listened to them, but there was maybe 3 or 4 I didn't know. The highlight for me was Seek and Destroy.

I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Another great day out at Slane.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Was that an ould lad 50-60 with long hair and his buddy a shorter fella with a tight hair cut by any chance?

Nah , this was in the gold circle. 2 lads - mid to late 40s I'd say. it was to the right hand side of the stage.
    Think one of them had his young fella with him.

As someone above said - probably go to one gig per year, and get absolutely twisted beforehand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

I'm not complaining about moshing, since that's a thing of its own to be expected at any sort of rock gig

But at one stage I got a damn hard open slap to the back of my head at the end of The Unforgiven, was down near the front to the left of the main cameras

I'm positive I didn't do anything myself like stand on toes or have my hands flying back, but I was paranoid and self aware then for the rest of the gig and I'd always be checking myself then during any of the bigger bits in the rest of the set, I wouldn't go as far as to say it ruined the gig for me but it did annoy me

There was one up on the hill that I got a bit of a clatter out of when someone was launched in my direction and it looked like a few people would end up going all the way down and taking out everyone in their way but it didn't happen.

Then again I didn't realise how far down we were until we had to go back up to the gate.

My only worry was that I'd get knocked over and fall on someone and hurt them. You can laugh all you want but **** me if I'm not paranoid about that.

I'd want to reiterate what I've said elsewhere - I'm a bit of a dungeon-dweller who normally avoids crowds and only really went because I had friends going and it'd be a chance to see Metallica live, which I wouldn't get for a while. Only found out about Ghost because they were on the ticket, but glad I did.

On the whole, worth the effort and the rain and the slog up to the bus-park (I half expected a jeep to come down the road broadcasting Vnimanie, Vnimanie, such was the cue of busses)

I'll be ****ed if I didn't enjoy every minute though - it felt worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Dartz wrote: »
    I'll be ****ed if I didn't enjoy every minute though - it felt worth the effort.

Yep home safe after camping so can't complain overall, feet and legs were dead back at campsite by 1 but it's great to say the whole thing was worth it, wouldn't be much of an event man either only my 3rd gig ever at 24

As someone above said - probably go to one gig per year, and get absolutely twisted beforehand

Ya definitely an element of that with the eejits on our side too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Ya definitely an element of that with the eejits on our side too.

There was a lad behind us must have done a couple of e's. He was dancing non stop from about 6 o clock until the end, even during the acts when there was no music playing!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

To the people around me moaning about a few skinny teenagers moshing around them. Get a grip, that was the tamest crowd I’ve ever seen a show and still you have people who by the way decided they were getting near the front complaining about the crowd moshing and not “just enjoying the music”. Would have loved to see them people at nuclear assault a couple of years back... lol

Metallica 92 in the point depot, basically the whole venue was one giant mosh pit.

• Advertisement

Thoroughly enjoyed the day, thought the band had great energy and seemed really up for it. Have seen people complaining about Kirk being sloppy and those kind of things. Have you never seen any clips of Metallica live? He's been like that for about 20 years! They aren't machines, they're human, it's not going to sound like the record. That said, they sounded great in general, the odd bum note is not a big deal. Stage was epic, lighting, pyro, a great show put on. Looking back up the hill during nothing else matters at all the lights and massive crowd is nothing something I'll soon forget. Hope they are back soon.

pablo128 wrote: »
    There was a lad behind us must have done a couple of e's. He was dancing non stop from about 6 o clock until the end, even during the acts when there was no music playing!:pac:

It could have been Father Liam Finnegan.

Looking back up the hill during nothing else matters at all the lights and massive crowd is nothing something I'll soon forget. Hope they are back soon.

Yea it looked fantastic. Link to my bad photo.

https://imgur.com/a/hr0tcsl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭phill106

SQ2 wrote: »
    Anyone get a picture of the plectrum?

Managed to get one in the gold circle from James towards the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Just read that they, through their All Within My Hands Foundation, made two donations €35,000 to the Capuchin Day Centre and the ISPCC Childline. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭dasdog

Yea it looked fantastic. Link to my bad photo.
    https://imgur.com/a/hr0tcsl

View looking back from between the two towers in your pic.

https://imgur.com/a/4Al6sVr

• Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

what do people expect!!..its not a michael buble gig ffs..if you go near the front expect a bit of moshing..god help these people if they went to metal/rock gigs 20 years ago when crowds were a lot crazier

It's a tough one this and it comes down to social responsibility. Metallica in the sfx you could call a private event and anything goes. Metallica in slane is a public event and when moshing you should look were your going in case you hit a child or and elderly person that wouldn't expect to be hit.

Xenji wrote: »
    Ah sure back during the Wherever We May Roam Tour it was just shy of 3 hours most nights.

And it nearly finished them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Anyone got pics/videos from the Olympia warm-up gig......if anyone was lucky enough to go????

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote: »

Me possibly?

Advertisement