Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica for Slane 2019

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Anyone got pics/videos from the warm-up gig......if anyone was lucky enough to go????

Was it an actual gig or just rehearsals? I know one of the papers said it was a gig but I wonder were they getting ahead of themselves. I'd imagine they would have posted some stuff on their social media if it was an actual gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

dasdog wrote: »
    View looking back from between the two towers in your pic.

https://imgur.com/a/4Al6sVr

Fantastic photo. Some size of crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

horgan_p wrote: »
    Nah , this was in the gold circle. 2 lads - mid to late 40s I'd say. it was to the right hand side of the stage.
    Think one of them had his young fella with him.

As someone above said - probably go to one gig per year, and get absolutely twisted beforehand
    Yeah I think I was beside them, I doubt they knew as much about metal as they were projecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Me possibly?

Are you bald on top with a bit of a combover?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭phill106

pablo128 wrote: »

Ouch if it was, he would never admit if :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

phill106 wrote: »
    Ouch if it was, he would never admit if :)

There may be a video recording.;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I’ve been to see Metallica every time they’ve played here since the gig in 91/92 and including the gig in Belfast. I’ve been to Slane before too and was DREADING them playing there.

Showing my age, purposefully arrived just as Ghost were ended. I was on the dry as I drove and was parked in Green.

Fee slip ups musically during show but that doesn’t bother. Enjoyed the gig, good energy for the most part. Not a fan of most of new songs and a couple of other song choices. Surprised they blew their load on whiskey early on but it was cool that Rob and Kirk did the Irish Rover. Regardless of the rendition it was a nice tough. Fair play. They plays for 2.5 hours so not to be snubbed at. The visuals for the show were a nice touch particular the latter half of the set.

I was in gold circle. Let’s be honest, it’s a rip off. I’ve been closer to the stage at Metallica gigs in the past without having to pay for the privilege. Just a money making racket. That being said, I didn’t encounter any trouble or pushing in it. Even from the pissheads.

Reading the comments about moshing and drunkards, well it is a metal gig and people will get drunk. Why people need to get sloshed is beyond me but YMMV.

Downsides. Slane. Everything Slane. It feels like logistically the gardai or whoever makes the planning decisions wanted to make it as difficult as possible to get there. The bus tickets from Belfast to Slane were cheaper than the bus tickets from Dublin to Slane.

It took nearly 2 hours to get from venue to green car park afterward.

Was pissed that the rules said no bags or anything like that yet they allowed bags on the day after searching them.

An earlier comment had a gripe with food. Was he at the same gig? There was lots of variety. I even saw a vegan food stall. I didn’t get food or go to bar so can’t comment on that.

At least next time Metallica are back they won’t have to play there again.

Event was tainted though when I came home and my dog was paralysed and I had to put him asleep this morning. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Was it an actual gig or just rehearsals? I know one of the papers said it was a gig but I wonder were they getting ahead of themselves. I'd imagine they would have posted some stuff on their social media if it was an actual gig.

I think it was a Fan Club gig?

I think it was a Fan Club gig?

Maybe. But I thought we would have heard more about it both in the run up to it and the aftermath. Surely there's a fan club member that posts here? And Metallica are big into Twitter and Instragram and they post everything on those but apart from 3-4 pictures from the Olympia, there was nothing and no set list released anywhere.

faceman wrote: »

Event was tainted though when I came home and my dog was paralysed and I had to put him asleep this morning. :(

Sorry to hear that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Olympia wss a private rehearsal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Sorry to hear that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Did it in an hour and a half but that was pushing hard - I could've happily done it in two. Tore the bollox out of me feet doing it because my laces worked loose and no matter what I did I couldn't fix it.

But that was only because the bus was leaving two hours after the concert ended and it took a while to get through the crowd up the hill.

Quite a few missed that bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭whomenonotme

Facebook post - missing person after gig

"My sister Tara Mccrave went to Slane yesterday and has not come home last seen at 11pm she missed her bus and her phone died so she has no way to contact anyone! If anyone has seen her please contact 0838705716"

Or Navan Garda Station 046 9036100

https://www.lmfm.ie/news/family-appeal-for-information-on-whereabouts-of-mi/

Managed to randomly get into the golden circle when I didn't have a ticket to it, took a wrong turn coming back from the Jack's, went through a little walkway between barriers when I realised I was in :)
    I hadn't a sip of water with me or anything but stayed the rest of the night there, delighted with myself!
    Enjoyed the bands, never heard of ghost before and plan to look them up.
    Wasn't any shoving or pushing as such where I was, right in the middle, was about 4 people back, so great view as was some Brazilian lads ahead of me (no 6fters thank god!).
    Midway through Metallica some of the crowd ahead of me turned back to see something interesting, so I turned and just caught a guy nearly drop onto an woman next to me while crowd surfing, me and another guy pushed him onto the front where he was lifted out.
    This push from the crowd brought me to 2nd from the front, so no complaints there!
    Towards the end hours of no water was catching up on me, felt a little faint (and I never do!) but resolved to make it to the end, and if not I'd do out over the railing.
    Rocked the night out, took loads of photos, some videos, sang myself hoarse and managed to get a guitar pic that James tossed towards the end, so was delighted!
    My bus in the red zone was due to leave, so I left there as the fireworks kicked off, and joined the horde of walking dead limbering back to the busses.
    Did not help that there was two red car parks and I went to the one for the bloody cars first as that's the way I was directed when I asked the stewards. Many many many people around me were in the same boat, but made it back eventually.
    Definitely could have used a few more lights on the road back, my phone was nearly dead so I couldn't risk the torch. Several times I nearly walked into a water seller who setup an opportunistic table In the middle of the road!
    While those walking were all in good form, could have gotten messy very easily.
    My first slane since the verve/Robbie Williams and my third Metallica gig in Ireland and I loved it.
    If they come again, I would definitely pay for the golden circle, absolutely worth it.
    Didn't get back to limerick till 4 or so, as our bus seemed to got a spin to dublin, then slane and back onto limerick?

Now just wondering what to do with 8gb of photos and a few videos I took of the night :)
    Stuck a few videos on youtube if anyone wants to see, look for ones uploades by philliprobert, I didn't video too much, just when they were very close!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

It's a tough one this and it comes down to social responsibility. Metallica in the sfx you could call a private event and anything goes. Metallica in slane is a public event and when moshing you should look were your going in case you hit a child or and elderly person that wouldn't expect to be hit.

:pac: Won't someone please think of the children!

The elderly were the ones who were moshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

limabromac wrote: »
    Metallica were literally on fire...

No, they weren't. They were on fire, just not literally.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Missing girl from the concert, if you can all click the link and see if you know anything

• Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

pablo128 wrote: »

No combover :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I had a great day of it, we were the first bus to arrive in the red bus park at 11am, we just stayed around the bus drinking cans until about 12:30 a few more buses had arrived so we walked with the crowd down to line up. They started letting people in at 1:30 and we were some of the first in and I managed to get the first pint of the day lol. They couldn't take cash unless I had exact change because they were still setting up. Luckily they took card and the pints were cheaper then I was expecting at 6 euro :).

We just lied in the grass in the sun drinking pints as more and more people arrived. So nice relaxing way to spend the day. We were in standing up by then barrier to the right of the help zone, decent view but eventually we moved up the hill after ghost because my friend is pretty short and got a way better view a few metres up the hill. About half way into metallica's act it got a bit mad though, people trying to push there way to the front while your standing on a pretty steep muddy hill wasn't fun but we all held on together and song our voices course.

Our bus was the first to leave too and we got back to Clare for 3:50am, Polish bus driver was very sound and drove like like a maniac. Slept the bus ride home and the bus dropped us off a few places around town so no one really hard far to get home. He didn't have to do that and was very sound.

I enjoyed every bands performance but I don't like punk music so stiff little finger performance was a beer and food run.

• Advertisement

phill106 wrote: »
    Missing girl from the concert, if you can all click the link and see if you know anything

F**k. Hope she's found safe and well...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Camping is your only man in Slane, particularly the night of the gig as otherwise you're queuing half the night to get out of the castle, and then the car park. Unless you leave early but the encore can often be the highlight of the gig so fcuk that. Camping solves all that and then you can just relax after the gig. We had breakfast in the town this morning and the place was almost deserted.

Can't bring myself to look at The Cure thread as it really was a tough call which gig we went too as love both bands. My bedroom as a teenager was predominantly Metallica & The Cure posters. Anyway.... hopefully they'll play again here soon.

We were in the GC and did our best to find a position with little moshing about us. No real issue with it (dare say I did a fare bit of it back in the day) but we're all much too old to be dealing with elbows in the back and being flung into those in front of you without warning. Not exactly Victor Meldrew, but I'm getting there.

Not the setlist I would have hoped for tbh, but fcuk it. Highlight of the night for me was undoubtedly FWTBT. A biblical performance and worth the price of admission alone. One, Lightning, NEM and Master were all epic performances too.

When the band moved forward it almost felt like being back in the Top Hat again with them so being close and compacted together like that. Really added to the atmosphere. Wasn't at it, but still and all chills went down my spine to see the SFX ticket on the large screen behind them when S&D kicked off..........

sfx.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Facebook post - missing person after gig

"My sister Tara Mccrave went to Slane yesterday and has not come home last seen at 11pm she missed her bus and her phone died so she has no way to contact anyone! If anyone has seen her please contact 0838705716"

Or Navan Garda Station 046 9036100

Shared on Facebook too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

No combover :)

so it was you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Camping is your only man in Slane, particularly the night of the gig as otherwise you're queuing half the night to get out of the castle, and then the car park. Unless you leave early but the encore can often be the highlight of the gig so fcuk that. Camping solves all that and then you can just relax after the gig. We had breakfast in the town this morning and the place was almost deserted.

Can't bring myself to look at The Cure thread as it really was a tough call which gig we went too as love both bands. My bedroom as a teenager was predominantly Metallica & The Cure posters. Anyway.... hopefully they'll play again here soon.

We were in the GC and did our best to find a position with little moshing about us. No real issue with it (dare say I did a fare bit of it back in the day) but we're all much too old to be dealing with elbows in the back and being flung into those in front of you without warning. Not exactly Victor Meldrew, but I'm getting there.

Not the setlist I would have hoped for tbh, but fcuk it. Highlight of the night for me was undoubtedly FWTBT. A biblical performance and worth the price of admission alone. One, Lightning, NEM and Master were all epic performances too.

When the band moved forward it almost felt like being back in the Top Hat again with them so being close and compacted together like that. Really added to the atmosphere. Wasn't at it, but still and all chills went down my spine to see the SFX ticket on the large screen behind them when S&D kicked off..........

sfx.png

Camping seems to be the way to solve a lot of problems. Pity though all the forecasters got it wrong - light showers was actually very heavy rain when it came down. Looking very wet for Fleetwood Mac Thursday also.

Anyway roll on next year Slane hope it happens - maybe Iron Maiden could add a date after the end of their South American stadium tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Camping seems to be the way to solve a lot of problems. Pity though all the forecasters got it wrong - light showers was actually very heavy rain when it came down. Looking very wet for Fleetwood Mac Thursday also.

Anyway roll on next year Slane hope it happens - maybe Iron Maiden could add a date after the end of their South American stadium tour.

They said at the end ACDC are rumored for next year. That will sell out in minutes if thats the case lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I was getting heavy showers forecasts throughout the week, you could see on radar, that the showers were gonna be heavy and prolonged

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

How loud was the concert

killanena wrote: »
    They said at the end ACDC are rumored for next year. That will sell out in minutes if thats the case lol..

They've been saying that for years and it's never happened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

I’ve been to see Metallica every time they’ve played here since the gig in 91/92 and including the gig in Belfast. I’ve been to Slane before too and was DREADING them playing there.

Showing my age, purposefully arrived just as Ghost were ended. I was on the dry as I drove and was parked in Green.

Fee slip ups musically during show but that doesn’t bother. Enjoyed the gig, good energy for the most part. Not a fan of most of new songs and a couple of other song choices. Surprised they blew their load on whiskey early on but it was cool that Rob and Kirk did the Irish Rover. Regardless of the rendition it was a nice tough. Fair play. They plays for 2.5 hours so not to be snubbed at. The visuals for the show were a nice touch particular the latter half of the set.

I was in gold circle. Let’s be honest, it’s a rip off. I’ve been closer to the stage at Metallica gigs in the past without having to pay for the privilege. Just a money making racket. That being said, I didn’t encounter any trouble or pushing in it. Even from the pissheads.

Reading the comments about moshing and drunkards, well it is a metal gig and people will get drunk. Why people need to get sloshed is beyond me but YMMV.

Downsides. Slane. Everything Slane. It feels like logistically the gardai or whoever makes the planning decisions wanted to make it as difficult as possible to get there. The bus tickets from Belfast to Slane were cheaper than the bus tickets from Dublin to Slane.

Was pissed that the rules said no bags or anything like that yet they allowed bags on the day after searching them.

An earlier comment had a gripe with food. Was he at the same gig? There was lots of variety. I even saw a vegan food stall. I didn’t get food or go to bar so can’t comment on that.

At least next time Metallica are back they won’t have to play there again.

Sorry about your dog.

Advertisement