Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica for Slane 2019

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Having said that, it didn't matter for the journey home what bus you got on. You just got in a queue and whatever bus pulled up to that queue you got on. We got the Marathon bus to Slane and a Dublin bus back to Dublin.

Yeah we were on a really nice bus back into town. the one on the way out was a Marathon double decker and was seriously struggling to get up the slightest inclines on the road, it was ancient :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

There was a post on FB about posters but I'm not sure of the details. Got myself one of the Slane T-shirts which I think are class. Great idea and a nice touch by them to get venue-specific ones done up.

snoopy84 wrote: »
    didn't fancy carrying the poster around all day so thought I'd buy online instead. SOLD OUT! do you think they'll come available again when they get back unsold ones from the gig or do you think that's already happened?

Friend of mine designed that poster. There was a few on the Metallica store yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 classic_master

I wonder what the revenue figures for Slane were, any idea what the total take on tickets were, how much Metallica pocket from Slane, how much lord henry gets from it and other figures involved? Assuming there were 75,000 there that's at a conservative estimate take in of 7.5 million to start with

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭snoopy84

Friend of mine designed that poster. There was a few on the Metallica store yesterday.

fair play to him really like it. all gone now so annoyed I didn't check yesterday

• Advertisement

I wonder what the revenue figures for Slane were, any idea what the total take on tickets were, how much Metallica pocket from Slane, how much lord henry gets from it and other figures involved? Assuming there were 75,000 there that's at a conservative estimate take in of 7.5 million to start with

7.5 million based on the general standing price
    + Extra for Golden Circle
    + Extra for Snake Pit
    + Merch

My buddy was telling me that he saw a video of how the band's accountant worked out the costs back in 1988. There's a video of it on YT I think. In it the guy lists out costs like security - $50,000, stage set up - $50,000 and at the end - Metallica - $1.5 million.

If the band was getting that much between the 4 of them back then God knows how much they got for Slane!

Any chance your friend might be able to get his hands on a few?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

rob316 wrote: »
    My mates broke down on the way up, so didn't make it i was gutted, but this post has had made my day. Thanks man your very welcome.

Was that the Bartons double decker stuck on flower hill in Navan? Plenty of thumbs stuck out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

to be honest these missing people things are gone a bit daft.

Went to a gig
    Didn't come home
    Missing

The chances of something bad happening someone missing are slim, but still there is that terrifying chance.

There was a case 10 years ago of a girl who went missing after going to a Metallica concert in the US. I've had the utmost respect for Metallica after their offer of $50,000 to help catch her killer and their charity donations in general.

Sorry to put a dampener on things, but never assume anything about someone gone missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Great day out. Didn't really believe those who said the carparks were a 30 - 40 minute walk away as it didn't really look like that on the maps..... i was wrong:o

Was delighted to see such a huge crowd there especially after hearing about poor ticket sales and rumours of moving the show to the RDS. Was all BS obviously. Such an amazing sight looking up the hill during the laser shows etc.

Metallica were out of this world. One or two minor mistakes perhaps but this talk of missing beats etc it ridiculous. If you want to listen to fault free music stay at home and listen to your records.

Finally, regarding the moshing.... i'm not into it but it's obviously part and parcel of a gig and you can't give out about it. What i don't like though are the idiots who do it and have absolutely no control. Very easy to get an inadvertent slap or a headbutt and that simply is not fun. It's all about having just a small bit of respect.

• Advertisement

We were talking to one of the Gardai and he said that they had half the number at the Metallica gig compared to what they had planned for the Fatboy Slim gig which is double. He said you never get any trouble at a metal gig but Dance/Techno is a different story.

I personally didn't see anything that remotely resembled trouble, just lots of people having a great time and making sure others did the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Degag wrote: »
    Great day out. Didn't really believe those who said the carparks were a 30 - 40 minute walk away as it didn't really look like that on the maps..... i was wrong:o

Was delighted to see such a huge crowd there especially after hearing about poor ticket sales and rumours of moving the show to the RDS. Was all BS obviously. Such an amazing sight looking up the hill during the laser shows etc.

Metallica were out of this world. One or two minor mistakes perhaps but this talk of missing beats etc it ridiculous. If you want to listen to fault free music stay at home and listen to your records.

Finally, regarding the moshing.... i'm not into it but it's obviously part and parcel of a gig and you can't give out about it. What i don't like though are the idiots who do it and have absolutely no control. Very easy to get an inadvertent slap or a headbutt and that simply is not fun. It's all about having just a small bit of respect.

All that was utter garbage from people who havent a clue how it was selling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Was there myself in the red car park camping.
    Second time at Slane , was there for guns too.
    I don’t get the hate for slane or how people are walking an hour to the car park ?
    Red car park is just around the corner.
    Beer and food was handy inside happy days.
    Brilliant venue if your camping, wouldn’t go to any gig like that and try to get home after.

Glad I saw Metallica, first time I did, wasn’t blown away but enjoyed it nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

7.5 million based on the general standing price
    + Extra for Golden Circle
    + Extra for Snake Pit
    + Merch

My buddy was telling me that he saw a video of how the band's accountant worked out the costs back in 1988. There's a video of it on YT I think. In it the guy lists out costs like security - $50,000, stage set up - $50,000 and at the end - Metallica - $1.5 million.

If the band was getting that much between the 4 of them back then God knows how much they got for Slane!

Don’t get me wrong, the 4 lads do very well out of these gigs but this a huge production with a large crew so I’d imagine the costs of putting on this tour are fairly high too.

I was griping at the €100 ticket fee at the start but someone posted a report a while back about the logistics involved (I think it was from the Paris gig) and combined with having seen the show now, I can see why it was the price it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Saw some mad bastard with a lightsaber during Metallica's set.
    Surprised they didn't bring the whole concert to a standstill until he was safely removed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Amazing gig !!
    Tallica were mighty. Any setlist with One->Master->Bells->Creeping->Seek , one after the other is a killer !!!

Camped for 2 nights, great vibe.
    The only bummer is the q's inside Slane, and those semi circle urinals !?>?!? You wouldn't want to be shy !!

P.s - Any sign of yer man 'Nal' ? I haven't seen him back to tell us how sh1t/half empty it was ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

greenspurs wrote: »
    P.s - Any sign of yer man 'Nal' ? I haven't seen him back to tell us how sh1t/half empty it was ?

He's in hibernation. Will just be waking up for the 2020 Slane announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

As far as I'm concerned it was a sellout... They would have been over selling if they packed in anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭seanino

I thought it was a great gig. We got the marathon bus down and some bus back. I thought the gig went pretty smooth. I started listening to Metallica when I was teenager 25+ years ago but I mostly listen to other stuff not much metal so have not been too much metal gigs.

Would have preferred more classics/old stuff from the first albums as a few people have already said. didn't mind whiskey or wild rover. The sound was perfect where I was - we did move around a bit - but I tend to always do this at gigs to try and find the optimum spot usually not too far from front in the middle. In this case that was right behind the mosh pit in main area.

I'm guessing the moshing was fairly tame by metal gig standards? I got involved a few times - good craic. Not sure why people would be surprised at that though - its exactly what you'd expect at a metal gig and taking a video of it is as someone posted already is a bit sad. Way too many people watching gigs through their phones now. I forgot how tiring moshing can be

My only gripe is the toilets and getting a pint is a nightmare in the general area. Did GC for guns n roses and its worth it alone for the proximity to bar/toilets.

Slane is hard work though - not sure Id be back unless it was someone I really wanted to see - camping sounds like the way to go.

Id love to see metallica somewhere like the 3

• Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Slane would make an epic movie location for their 40th anniversary :)

• Advertisement

greenspurs wrote: »
    The only bummer is the q's inside Slane,

I went to the Heineken tent 4 times and had no problem at all, in and out fairly lively.

When we got in we queued at the merch stall for about 20 minutes before getting to the front but the crepe truck was a nightmare. A good 35 mins before I got served. Don't ask me why I did it but the end product wasn't worth the wait at all.

With regard to the toilets, from the middle of Ghost's set lads were openly pissing where they were standing in the crowd and along the fence going down the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Anyone pre-order the MP3 of the gig yet from livemetallica.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

XsApollo wrote: »
    Was there myself in the red car park camping.
    Second time at Slane , was there for guns too.
    I don’t get the hate for slane or how people are walking an hour to the car park ?
    Red car park is just around the corner.
    Beer and food was handy inside happy days.
    Brilliant venue if your camping, wouldn’t go to any gig like that and try to get home after.

Yeah, we drove down at 2pm from Dublin and we were parked in the Red Car Park within half an hour from passing through Ashbourne. There was zero traffic apart from maybe for a few mins at the Garda checkpoint at the edge of the town.

The Red Car Park (and Slane Farm Camping / Castle Park) are all only 10/15 minutes walk after the gig and so perfect. If you're camping you can just chill out and wait for the crowd to disperse from the Castle too and so the walk back is even enjoyable. At 3am cars were still queening to get out though so camping (or even sleeping in your car) is a must

Last year for GnR we got the bus from Drogheda and so had to walk back to the Blue car park and that's a half hour walk at the best of times, but after a gig in Slane it's a nightmare, never again would I do that. Sleep/camp in the Red Car Park, or in one of the camping sites, is the only way to do Slane.

See a few hopes for who's next to play there, my hope is it'll be Springsteen, given I was too young the first time he played there (and was more into Adam Ant at the time anyway). Tour for 2020 being talked about too.

Lithium93_ wrote: »

How do you do that if you used the E-ticket and Ticketmaster app? It's not allowing me into the QR Code I used on Saturday. Just showing the event in "My Events".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Ordered it Sunday and got the confirmation email. Just waiting for it to be uploaded now. Says 2-3 days is the norm. Haven’t checked today.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

How do you do that if you used the E-ticket and Ticketmaster app? It's not allowing me into the QR Code I used on Saturday. Just showing the event in "My Events".

You just need to register on the site, enter the number underneath the barcode on the ticket, and wait 24-48 hours after the gig when it'll be ready for downloading.

Any chance your friend might be able to get his hands on a few?

metalmongrol.bigcartel.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Camping actually made Slane and the venue enjoyable, mad I know!!!

Metallica were always gonna be deadly no matter what but camping really made the weekend for me, the buzz and craic on Friday was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Anyone else unable to register for their download of the show?

I put in my ticket number beside the bar code a few times and no good, either as one long number or the spaces in between the numbers like on the ticket either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Camping actually made Slane and the venue enjoyable, mad I know!!!

Metallica were always gonna be deadly no matter what but camping really made the weekend for me, the buzz and craic on Friday was unreal.

Friday night was absolutely brilliant.

Advertisement