Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica for Slane 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    I printed my tickets at home, and the long barcode on the bottom right hand corner worked perfectly first time. It's not the QR code.

My problem is that I didn't print the tickets at all. When I got to the place where they checked tickets I just got the QR code up on my phone and they scanned it right there on the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

threein99 wrote: »
    How do you know this ?

The amount of baseless claims on this thread is hilarious

To be fair, I went to the shows in 03, 04, 06 and 08 but gave 09 a miss because I did have my fill at that stage and maybe I wasn’t the only one. So it wasn’t the worst opinion for that poster to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Yeah I was at all of those + belfast x 2 + manchester, and haven't had my fill :pac:

Did Belfast, now Slane Castle, if I had money, I'd definitely head to Manchester & London to see them again.

To be fair, I went to the shows in 03, 04, 06 and 08 but gave 09 a miss because I did have my fill at that stage and maybe I wasn’t the only one. So it wasn’t the worst opinion for that poster to make.

If I remember correctly too, 08/09 was around the cringeworthy “family, family” stuff too. That was enough to drive a few people away I’d imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

He said most fans had had their fill. Most fans ?

• Advertisement

He said most fans had had their fill. Most fans ?

Jaysus will you relax. It’s a figure of speech on a message board not a court submission.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Camping is the only way to do Slane. Except if you have a campervan. I have serious campervan envy for some of the rigs I saw in the camp site.

We drove a couple of times and firstly, you are sober, and secondly, it takes hours for the car park to empty before you can get moving at all so you are so wrecked you probably aren't all that safe on the roads really.

Met friends there this year who had to leave about 4 songs early to catch their bus. That's a big chunk of the gig to miss for the price you pay for the tickets. Apparently due to Metallica being 40 mins late on stage you either had to miss the end or miss the buses.

We camped up the two nights, and were able to arrive on the Friday night when it suited us, we brought chairs, table, airbed and my own duvet and pillows as well as a kettle, stove, barbecue and food so it was very comfortable. Woke up on Saturday, played some Ghost and Metallica on our speakers, and chilled with some cans, then had a barbecued fillet steak dinner before heading in during Bokasssa. That meant there was no queueing for food, and could just enjoy the gig. The queues at the merchandise stands was ridiculous as the service was so slow. The bar staff weren't exactly working under pressure either when I was getting my round in. But we stayed until the very end of the fireworks, avoided most of the crush getting out, and strolled back to the tent 5 mins later.

The next day it was about midday before we packed up and were ready to go, but there was no traffic queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

Neyite wrote: »

Met friends there this year who had to leave about 4 songs early to catch their bus. That's a big chunk of the gig to miss for the price you pay for the tickets. Apparently due to Metallica being 40 mins late on stage you either had to miss the end or miss the buses.

Strange 'service' that, didn't hear of any buses that were leaving until the concert had ended, at least none of the official ones.

You're right though, camping would be the best choice for most, the craic would be brilliant and the convenience too.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

bladespin wrote: »
    Strange 'service' that, didn't hear of any buses that were leaving until the concert had ended, at least none of the official ones.

You're right though, camping would be the best choice for most, the craic would be brilliant and the convenience too.

The friend that got the bus and left early to get it told me that. People who stayed until the end got caught up in the crowds and couldn't get back to their buses on time. They were told about 1000 people missed their bus. No idea where they heard it but they aren't prone to exaggeration so I'd believe them.

What were the shower/toilet facilities like for the camping? I'm surprised they didn't offer glamping as it was offered here for the Féile last year which had a lot less tickets sold.
    The friend that got the bus and left early to get it told me that. People who stayed until the end got caught up in the crowds and couldn't get back to their buses on time. They were told about 1000 people missed their bus. No idea where they heard it but they aren't prone to exaggeration so I'd believe them.

The way the Dublin-bound buses worked at least was that once they were full they left. I'd say no one went back on the same bus they went to Slane on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Jaysus will you relax. It’s a figure of speech on a message board not a court submission.

I'm perfectly relaxed, I can still call someones post bs if I want to

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

What were the shower/toilet facilities like for the camping? I'm surprised they didn't offer glamping as it was offered here for the Féile last year which had a lot less tickets sold.

Very clean - cleaner on hand all the time to keep the place respectable, hot water and plenty of paper.

Showers - individual shower cubicles...

Top class really, for a 'festival' type crowd/occasion

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

lbj666 wrote: »
    They played big outdoor shows in 2003, 2004 and 2006 in the RDS and 2009 in Marley Park by the time Marley Park was over most fans had their fill for a while.
    How do you know this ?

The amount of baseless claims on this thread is hilarious

In fairness he did PM all of us fans in advance of making this sweeping statement.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

bennyl10 wrote: »
    can it be phone downloaded? or does it need to be a computer?

If you're using Chrome on your phone tick the desktop site box in the 3 dot menu and it'll let you download to your phone.

greenspurs wrote: »
    Very clean - cleaner on hand all the time to keep the place respectable, hot water and plenty of paper.

Showers - individual shower cubicles...

Top class really, for a 'festival' type crowd/occasion

Have been reading throughout this thread that camping is the only way to do Slane….

Curious as to total additional costs after paying for the gig ticket itself? And there's food in campsites also ya?

Also - I presume you'd only camp the night beforehand if you'd a lot of free time & wanted to soak up the atmosphere? ie there no logistical issue getting in on the morning of the gig is there?

Just for my planning for next gig! Thanks....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Have been reading throughout this thread that camping is the only way to do Slane….

Curious as to total additional costs after paying for the gig ticket itself? And there's food in campsites also ya?

Also - I presume you'd only camp the night beforehand if you'd a lot of free time & wanted to soak up the atmosphere? ie there no logistical issue getting in on the morning of the gig is there?

I was always sceptical about it, but we did it for GnR, and it was perfect.
    €30 per person for 1 or 2 nights, there are burger vans, coffee vans inside.
    We go on the Friday evening, so you can have a few drinks, and relax, place some music, its great craic. More relaxed than driving/bussing in on the morning.

I would recommend.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

My barcode number has 14 digits, 7 sets of 2. I entered them in without spaces and it worked fine.

Mine was a physical ticket though as opposed to an email one.
    Audio only.

I had a physical ticket, but a paper one as opposed to the normal hard type

In any case I'm nowhere near as bothered for an audio only replay of the gig, I was giving out about the lad who recorded the whole gig but whenever it's up on youtube that will be handy :pac:

We camped at Castlepark camping. It's closer to the venue than Slane Park and probably more rustic. There were shower blocks which were grand and a room where you could plug in hairdryers /straighteners, and the toilet block was fine. Not 5 star but not as vile as a portaloo. :D There was a food van there (burger & chips were €9) and a coffee van I think.

It's 25 per person to camp for the two nights, so cost us €50 on top of the gig tickets. We brought most of our own booze and food so we only spent on pints in the gig itself and petrol there and back.

You do have lots of free time - it was a very lazy Saturday for us. People are just drinking and listening to music having the craic or maybe having a disco nap for us oldies! You could camp for the one night but you had to arrive before 8am to ensure you'd get let in to the campsite -cars were still arriving at lunchtime so I presume that they had been queueing. The campsite was open 24h so you could arrive at any stage between Friday night and Saturday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭snoopy84

metalmongrol.bigcartel.com

sold out 😣

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm perfectly relaxed, I can still call someones post bs if I want to

I don't think it's a totally crazy claim, I gave them a skip in 09 because I'd seen them the previous three times they'd played here, as did many other friends of mine. Ireland got a lot of Metallica shows between 03-09, there was a bit of fatigue there by the end of that run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Moocifer

We camped at Castlepark camping. It's closer to the venue than Slane Park and probably more rustic. There were shower blocks which were grand and a room where you could plug in hairdryers /straighteners, and the toilet block was fine. Not 5 star but not as vile as a portaloo. :D There was a food van there (burger & chips were €9) and a coffee van I think.

It's 25 per person to camp for the two nights, so cost us €50 on top of the gig tickets. We brought most of our own booze and food so we only spent on pints in the gig itself and petrol there and back.

You do have lots of free time - it was a very lazy Saturday for us. People are just drinking and listening to music having the craic or maybe having a disco nap for us oldies! You could camp for the one night but you had to arrive before 8am to ensure you'd get let in to the campsite -cars were still arriving at lunchtime so I presume that they had been queueing. The campsite was open 24h so you could arrive at any stage between Friday night and Saturday morning
    We stayed here too on the Friday and Saturday nights and the convenience of it was something else. It was definitely the best way to do Slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

If I remember correctly too, 08/09 was around the cringeworthy “family, family” stuff too. That was enough to drive a few people away I’d imagine.

nah that war crime started creeping in around 2012 iirc

was around the black album anniversary shows

What's the family, family thing??

What's the family, family thing??

It was a call and response thing james was doing with the crowd. I think it was at some point in Sandman

"Metallica family"

"Metallica family"

Definitely remember it at Download 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Has the Phil Lynott statue been moved? Can't figure out where it is from the pictures Metallica put up?

Has the Phil Lynott statue been moved? Can't figure out where it is from the pictures Metallica put up?

Last time I saw it was when Alice in Chains posted a photo of themselves with it..... Wait! …. You don't think that....?! Nah... hardly?! (?)

D.Q wrote: »
    It was a call and response thing james was doing with the crowd. I think it was at some point in Sandman

"Metallica family"

"Metallica family"

Definitely remember it at Download 2012

He did something similar during the gig on Saturday but it wasn't a call and response.

It was to the right of Bruxelle's front door on Friday night.

Anyone see the crazy drunk dude up by the men's urinals at about 3/4pm?
    He was about 40 with what looked like his teenage son and he was so wanked he couldn't get up.
    He was on all fours with his face on the ground.
    The son was morto and on the phone (to his ma i'd say)
    4/5 Order of Malta lads and a few cops picked up him and took him away (to an ambulance I'd say).

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Was wondering had anyone else from here stayed there, it sounded like nearly everyone was in slane farm.. anywho I stayed in this one, just the saturday night, only charged €20 each and we arrived at 10am, sailed in, no queue, I'd say it was grand to arrive in up until 12pm...
    Campsite was really nice and chill, the only gripe I have is that there wasn't near enough toilets, they were kept in great nick but queuing for 1/2 an hour is torture.. So we hopped the fence for the weekend, classy ladies :cool:
    Didn't check out the shower blocks, but everyone looked happy enough with them and there was no queue from what I could see..
    Just the one food truck but we brought food

Overall, camping is definitely the way to go!
    *Just be careful with the driving home, I brought the breathalyser and wasn't good to leave this half 11 ish and that was taking it easy on the booze :eek:

Really liked Ghost, gonna check them out more. Loved Metallicas set, special shout out to our new nordy friends, Paul, Dave and Shane(?) and two lovely Dubs - Dave and Ian who put us on their shoulders :D

• Advertisement

He did something similar during the gig on Saturday but it wasn't a call and response.

This was a prolonged section in the middle of a song, went on for about 2 minutes i'd say.

I don't share this link lightly, click at your peril.

Advertisement