Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica for Slane 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Count Hairyfoot

The farm campsite seems to be getting better with every review. In reality it was ok. Pot luck who you ended up beside. If music all night and campfires aren't your thing then tough as nobody was told to stop at any point. The food selection wasn't great and the queues for it were ridiculously long. Toilets were ok. No lighting at all after the gig but given what it smelt like we were walking through on that road up past the wood probably best we couldn't see it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Anyone see the crazy drunk dude up by the men's urinals at about 3/4pm?
    He was about 40 with what looked like his teenage son and he was so wanked he couldn't get up.
    He was on all fours with his face on the ground.
    Ah FFS, I'm only 34!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

The farm campsite seems to be getting better with every review. In reality it was ok. Pot luck who you ended up beside. If music all night and campfires aren't your thing then tough as nobody was told to stop at any point. The food selection wasn't great and the queues for it were ridiculously long. Toilets were ok. No lighting at all after the gig but given what it smelt like we were walking through on that road up past the wood probably best we couldn't see it too.

Maybe you should drive to the next one, you could complain about that too then ………

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

greenspurs wrote: »
    Maybe you should drive to the next one, you could complain about that too then ………

Tell me where I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Don’t get me wrong, the 4 lads do very well out of these gigs but this a huge production with a large crew so I’d imagine the costs of putting on this tour are fairly high too.

I was griping at the €100 ticket fee at the start but someone posted a report a while back about the logistics involved (I think it was from the Paris gig) and combined with having seen the show now, I can see why it was the price it was.

It is pretty much their bread and butter now, making a record actually costs money now. €170 for the GC for essentially a standing ticket nearer the stage. Its mad money but I can remember throwing out £20 a pop on a CD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Has the Phil Lynott statue been moved? Can't figure out where it is from the pictures Metallica put up?

Where did you see the pic?

I was looking at Metallica's Instagram 'story' for Slane and maybe I'm wrong, but did some guy who bought a 'meet & greet' package ticket actually ask Lars to sign a bootleg CD? The balls :p

Anyway, love him taking this pic as I see this bar on Dame St had done this to their window on Friday night.........

https://www.instagram.com/p/Byb2YNun_Cf/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

He was about 40 with what looked like his teenage son and he was so wanked he couldn't get up.
    The son was morto and on the phone (to his ma i'd say)
    4/5 Order of Malta lads and a few cops picked up him and took him away (to an ambulance I'd say).

Dude had long hair and a beard, grey, son or grandson in the mid teens id say. They were standing beside us in the middle of metallica, they dude was legless, I had to help the son hold him up for awhile but I said to him we'll just bring him down to the help zone and they took the young lad the the legless dude over the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Leppard Messiah

Don’t get me wrong, the 4 lads do very well out of these gigs but this a huge production with a large crew so I’d imagine the costs of putting on this tour are fairly high too.

I was griping at the €100 ticket fee at the start but someone posted a report a while back about the logistics involved (I think it was from the Paris gig) and combined with having seen the show now, I can see why it was the price it was.

in fairness their ticket prices are no higher than the majority of other stadium bands

No one gave it a 5* rating.
    Were you in Slane Farm?

"pot luck who you ended up beside" Obviously its a campsite. Do you get to pick who buys the house next to you ? Or the room beside you in the hotel on your holidays ?

"Food selection wasn't great " - nope, it was standard fare for a festival/gig setting. The exact same as was inside the castle grounds.
    "Queues were ridiculously long" - True, but there was probably 5000 people in the campsite , all q'ing up for breakfast, at about the same time.

"Toilets were ok" - they were very good actually. Other sites had a portaloo, inside the venue had portaloos, so I think attended toilets with flush and toilet paper and hot water from the tap, is a bit better than ok!

"No lighting at all after the gig" - That's rubbish if you were in Slane Farm.
    There was lighting rigs in the fields. I would have held your hand if I had known.

Maybe stick to glamping at festivals. :D

Anyway ……….

Its a field at the end of the day with some port a loos and porta showers. What do you expect?
    The food queues were long but if your any bit prepared you brought your own.
    They had a few of these massive floodlights up by me that seemed to light the place grand.

Sounds like the outdoor life aint for you. It was 30 quid for 2 nights like, I'd say parking alone wasn't much less :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Tell me where I'm wrong.

Nal ? is that you ???? :D :rolleyes: ;)

That's it u could hear the snare in real time and through the PA so it sounded like Lars was doing done funky jazz double hits when in fact he wasn't :)

i was in the snakepit at download festival 2012 and while its an amazing experience to be so close tot he band the sound is a bit hit and miss especially if you are close to one of the one stage monitors..when rob would walk close to a monitor all you could hear was bass and the drums in general sounded weird

And on the noise, it was fairly quiet. I could hear some 2 going at it fairly hard in the van a few up from me but that didnt last too long :P

Some other car was blaring music, but in fairness his missus was out of it and he kept trying to turn it down.

Fairly tame in comparison to the **** I've experienced at EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Duffy98

Hopefully Ghost get a gig here thats what usually happens for Slane bands use it to send out the feelers same happened with Royal Blood for Gnr only thing is that they may only get enough fans to fill the olympia . Anybody know when they are going to be uploading the pro-shot footage of the gig like the have done for the previous shows of the tour

The son was morto and on the phone (to his ma i'd say)
    4/5 Order of Malta lads and a few cops picked up him and took him away (to an ambulance I'd say).

this is the type of wanker who listened to the black album in secondary school and decided to go to slane for the day to re live his youth..what a knob with his youngfella there..to be honest looking at alot of the videos the crowd seem very subdued and id say a good 20-25,000 were very casual fans who wouldnt have gone if it wasnt slane

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Where did you see the pic?

I was looking at Metallica's Instagram 'story' for Slane and maybe I'm wrong, but did some guy who bought a 'meet & greet' package ticket actually ask Lars to sign a bootleg CD? The balls :p

Anyway, love him taking this pic as I see this bar on Dame St had done this to their window on Friday night.........

https://www.instagram.com/p/Byb2YNun_Cf/

ha nah they sell CD copies of the audio from live gigs, you can get one for slane. Think the CD was from the RDS

Lars and James had photos with the statue on their Instagram, just doesn't look like Bruxelles or the building beside it to me but could just be the angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,408 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Think Pearl Jam will be the next slane headliners in 2020 or 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ciantheod

Live download ,cant get it to work at all ,just says doent recognise bar code ,ive two tickets and working for neither ,have manually input code also and no joy ,anyone have any ideas ,thanks .

i was in the snakepit at download festival 2012 and while its an amazing experience to be so close tot he band the sound is a bit hit and miss especially if you are close to one of the one stage monitors..when rob would walk close to a monitor all you could hear was bass and the drums in general sounded weird

I was warned, and expected the sound to be bad but it was pretty good until they moved to the second drum kit. Was gonna be worth the sacrifice either way.

ciantheod wrote: »
    Live download ,cant get it to work at all ,just says doent recognise bar code ,ive two tickets and working for neither ,have manually input code also and no joy ,anyone have any ideas ,thanks .

Pm your email and I'll send you on a copy when it's available

• Advertisement

greenspurs wrote: »
    No one gave it a 5* rating.
    Were you in Slane Farm?

"pot luck who you ended up beside" Obviously its a campsite. Do you get to pick who buys the house next to you ? Or the room beside you in the hotel on your holidays ?

"Food selection wasn't great " - nope, it was standard fare for a festival/gig setting. The exact same as was inside the castle grounds.
    "Queues were ridiculously long" - True, but there was probably 5000 people in the campsite , all q'ing up for breakfast, at about the same time.

"Toilets were ok" - they were very good actually. Other sites had a portaloo, inside the venue had portaloos, so I think attended toilets with flush and toilet paper and hot water from the tap, is a bit better than ok!

"No lighting at all after the gig" - That's rubbish if you were in Slane Farm.
    There was lighting rigs in the fields. I would have held your hand if I had known.

Maybe stick to glamping at festivals. :D

Anyway ……….

Standard fare at a festival or gig...so not great then which is what I said.

The toilets were ok - yes better than a portaloo though a few of the women in our group said there was no water pressure - didn't see that problem in the lads - but it was what you'd expect to get in a professionally run campsite these days which is what the farm is.

In fairness on the lighting you're correct about the site - I was referring to the entry road to get into the far field - the one that ran beside the woods. No lighting on that at all.

Nice we were able to agree on so much!

Don't get me wrong I'd stay again. It's infinitely better than a 2 hour walk to the car park, hour wait to get out and a 3 hour drive home.

Why would you buy the green car park? I passed it leaving Sunday morning I nearly broke down laughing it's miles out.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Duffy98

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Think Pearl Jam will be the next slane headliners in 2020 or 2021

I reckon it will be Coldplay who will play it when they do their comeback tour they would sell it out no problem , he also said that he hasnt got AC/DC yet so maybe they could do it when they release their new album , Pearl Jam would be unreal though if they ever come back here to do a show

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

rob316 wrote: »
    Why would you buy the green car park? I passed it leaving Sunday morning I nearly broke down laughing it's miles out.

Some of us like the misery of walking. My feet were bolloxed what can you do. Didn't realise the non-Dublin bus would leave us so far out.

One the plus side, it left on time without waiting to be full. On the downside - for anyone left behind - it left on time without being full.

Weirdly, and for reasons I can't explain, I'm in good humour today. Better humour than I've been in for a long time. It's only really starting to settle in. Only regret is that I didn't get the chance to do things like this years ago.

Sure I'd go see Ghost again if they got another show.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

If there’s anyone not using their barcode and willing to PM me I would greatly appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Moth being rehearsed in the Olympia on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Moth being rehearsed in the Olympia on Friday.

Man thats class. This and Now That We're Dead and Spit out the Bone were highlights for me. 3 favourite songs off Hardwired.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

That is ****ing cool. Wonder who you have to know to get into a show like that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

If there’s anyone not using their barcode and willing to PM me I would greatly appreciate it!

Did you check the two I posted here?

Mate has another one I can PM you if they're both used though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

D.Q wrote: »
    That is ****ing cool. Wonder who you have to know to get into a show like that

It wasn't even a show. So probably just the sound guys, technicians

Advertisement