Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica for Slane 2019

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The download sounds great (although I haven't got to Wild Rover yet!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Dero wrote: »
    Apropos of nothing, but the cover art on the MP3s is a bit odd.

482508.png

Jaysus. And here I thought the Loudness War was over!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

They uploaded Whiskey in the Jar.

Making my way through the gig at the moment and after Halo on Fire and before the Kirk/Rob thingy, there's some tool repeatedly shouting for 'Ride The Lightning'. Was he not there at the start of the concert?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

allen175 wrote: »
    They uploaded Whiskey in the Jar.

Hetfield is gone very old looking the last year or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Here's the story behind NEM being dedicated to Christopher Bell 'A friend of ours we never met' at Slane:
    Heartbroken family of Meath man killed in crash thank Metallica for dedicating song to him at Slane gig

THE heartbroken family of a young Meath man who was killed tragically in recent weeks have thanked rock legends Metallica for dedicating a song to him on stage at Slane concert.

Lead singer James Hetfield brought tears of sadness and joy to family members last Saturday when he announced to the crowd: “This is for a friend we never met – Christopher Bell”, before launching into the classic ‘Nothing Else Matters’.

https://twitter.com/ShaneCannon1/status/1137771291488980993

Christopher Bell, 26, from Duleek died when his motorbike was involved in a collision with a tractor on the Clonmellon Road outside Kells on May 25th last.

He died of his injuries a number of hours later in hospital.

The hugely popular man, who was a Corporal in the Army Reserves Defence Forces, was living in Navan and on his way to a holiday home in Westmeath when the accident occurred.

cb2.jpg

His distraught partner Carina was following him in her car at the time. Christopher was an avid fan of Metallica and already had his ticket to see his idols in Slane last weekend.

His uncle Adrian Murray said Christopher’s sisters Nicole and Katie had brought his ticket to the concert in his honour.

Adrian said: “I brought Christopher to see his first Metallica gig in 2008 in Marley’s Park when he was only 15 years old.

“He was gobsmacked and it made him even more interested in playing the electric guitar with a band in transition year in St Mary’s in Drogheda.

“I also brought him to see AC/DC and to the Rory Gallagher festival over the years but Metallica was his favourite.

“Christopher was someone who gave you his all. He lived life to the full and didn’t do things in half measures.

“The fact that he was so well liked and respected in the defence forces was evident by all at his military funeral.”

Just ahead of the gig, Adrian got a call from a friend telling him he had managed to contact the band.

“A friend of mine had got in touch in someway and said Metallica had agreed to remember Christopher but we didn’t know in what way.

“Then when we heard James Hetfield say those words: ‘This is for a friend we never met, Christopher Bell’, in the opening bars of Nothing Else Matters, it gave us such a lovely and positive feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭seanino

rob316 wrote: »
    And lads the queues are intentionally bad at these events. Can you actual imagine trying to control that crowd if they got all the drink they wanted into them. Security are far outnumbered.
    MCD could throw another 3 bars into the concessions if they wanted.

As a nightclub owner before told me, queues control the crowd. It doesn't make financial sense to let someone get tanked up early and have to throw them out or risk harm to your staff. Keep them there all night is the strategy.

That makes little sense. What about the queues to the jacks, does that control the crowds too? Although made little difference to me as I made use of the fence :) Not too many nightclub owners either that would curtail drinks at the bar!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Here's the story behind NEM being dedicated to Christopher Bell 'A friend of ours we never met' at Slane:

Fair play to them

• Registered Users Posts: 38,407 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Nirvana would of been a great Slane headliner. Others like Led Zep, Pink Floyd and Prince would of made the cut no doubt but the first 2 were a different era tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 25 new Author

That's such a ginormous crowd I can't imagine anyone at the back on top of the hill will be able to see that much.
    we didnt grrrrrr but great day despite the walk back to the car park a nightmare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

Massive rock bands like Metallica are an endangered species. I'm not sure what direction Slane will take in future. There will always be fine rock bands around no doubt, but popular enough to sell 80,000 tickets in Ireland? Will they go back down the route of rap/pop? A shame if so, slane was built on rock.

Also, just downloaded the MP3 of the gig. They sounded mighty, and great crowd noise too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Ah man what a concert, anyone who moans about slane needs a slap, it's a brilliant iconic venue and we should be celebrating the place instead of knocking it, OK getting drink and food isn't the easiest, I was just near bottom of the hill and went to the bar twice for tray of beer, it's a pain in the ass alright but it is what it is, as for going the toilet I went once behind a chipper van and once where I stood, not proud of that but gives me a little chuckle now when I think about it, slane Farm camping was brill craic Fri night with tunes blaring all round, fire lighting and plenty booze and mingling, myself and a friend headed off for firewood after a large number of cans and it took us an age to find our tent as we got lost, if you want privicy don't go camping though because your practically on top of each other but we loved it and will deffo be back, I'd love to see Springsteen actually

100% agree. I've only been to Slane twice, Stones 2007 and Saturday but in between those years was living overseas, went to numerous massive gigs and played myself in some very big and well known venues.

Walked back in on Saturday and it's just another world. Slane was built for rock 'n roll. We don't appreciate how lucky we are.

The energy of every gig ever hosted there seems to be captured in those hills - it's like a time warp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Massive rock bands like Metallica are an endangered species. I'm not sure what direction Slane will take in future. There will always be fine rock bands around no doubt, but popular enough to sell 80,000 tickets in Ireland? Will they go back down the route of rap/pop? A shame if so, slane was built on rock.

Also, just downloaded the MP3 of the gig. They sounded mighty, and great crowd noise too.

Don’t worry U2 will undoubtedly be here for another 30 years.

U2 might do it again but then again they have done Croke Park and Stadiums worldwide since 2001.

ACDC is possible if they actually tour again but think it might need to be Brian Johnson on vocals and not Axl Rose. Tbh the name would sell it. Coldplay and The Killers ??. Ed Sheeran maybe with the way music is going

Its hard too knw will we get a repeat gig from some of the last few headliners when/if they tour again. GNR, Foos, Bon Jovi (unlikely if there playing RDS this year). Pearl Jam as headliners i(support act in 1993 or sometime around then) is very possible as they haven't played here as a band for years and we saw what a 10 year gap done for Metallica

I knw this is morbid but when the day comes (hopefully not for a while yet) Lord Henry passes away we might get some big ass tribute concert which would be pretty fitting for such a passionate guy to open up his house for a massive gig

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

Might be an "out there" opinion, but if the unlikely happens and REM reform, they could be a great headliner. But to make a more likely prediction, when Oasis inevitably reform they would be a perfect headliner.

endainoz wrote: »
    Might be an "out there" opinion, but if the unlikely happens and REM reform, they could be a great headliner. But to make a more likely prediction, when Oasis inevitably reform they would be a perfect headliner.

Forgot about Oasis if they get back together

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Muse.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

endainoz wrote: »

REM headlined Slane in 1995, supported by Oasis :)
    Fanbloodytastic gig :D

Would Green Day be big enough nowadays too headline ??

Actually wtf are they up to nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Over 3 days later and I'm still on a high. I would do anything to re-live that again (now that my body has recovered from the jumping and screaming every lyric as loud as I could. What an utterly magical experience.

My second time to Slane after GN'R. I don't know what it is about this venue but there is something really special about it. I didn't think anything would come close to GNR but Metallica did.

The band were on fire. Sound was spot on, they blew me away. I thought James in particular was so impressive and really enjoyed hearing those new tunes live.

The crowd were really into it, I didn't see any bad behavior everyone was out to have a good time. I was surprised by how much the crowd knew the songs. I think it's incredible that Metallica (a metal band formed in the 80s) drew close to 80k people in our tiny country!

Read most of the comments but one point I strongly disagree with is those commenting on the 'casual' fans on Saturday. I think it's brilliant that people would be so open minded (and open their wallets) to a days trek around a field in slane to see Metallica. They easily could have went for an easier day out in Marley Park or the Aviva to see some pop act. Fans were gained on Saturday, trust me!

I spoke to people in work who brought mates along who only knew Enter Sandman on their way in, they've since been raving about the gig and are listening to all the tunes and turning into fans. I think Metallica gained ALOT of new friends on June 8th. Congrats to the boys, please come back again soon :D

Slane is slane people - just like any huge event in Ireland, there will be queues for the bar and even longer lines for the toilets. Definitely need double amount the toilets or else it will be impossible to control people going right there in the venue. As far the bar... it's honestly not that hard to sneak abit of drink in :P

P.S so where's the petition for Slane 2020?

My top picks:

Rolling stones ( yes, again - shame they did Croker so recently).
    Paul McCartney would be epic
    AC/DC/reformed Oasis - echo all the shouts for those two.
    Van Halen is always being scouted for Download in the UK but doubt they could sell 80k in Ireland.

OR could they top class 3/4 bands and kick off at and be a mini festival? (camping facilities already there!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

DBB wrote: »
    REM headlined Slane in 1995, supported by Oasis :)
    Fanbloodytastic gig :D

That was my first Slane. I camped at that one too. It's the only way to do Slane. Camping is the way forward 😀

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Muse.

Muse struggled to sell out the Point in 2016. It was a weekday, but still I don't think Ireland has the interest in them at Slane.

Muse struggled to sell out the Point in 2016. It was a weekday, but still I don't think Ireland has the interest in them at Slane.

I don't know anything about Muse and their popularity here but weren't similar things being said about Metallica around this time last year?

Last weekend has shown to me that we should rule out nothing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Muse played Marlay park about a decade ago, same as Metallica, they'd have a few songs your casual person going to Slane for the craic would know, and their music is generally more radio friendly than Metallica, I'd say they'd pull in at least 40,000 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Interpol & Muse would be a great gig

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Muse sell out arenas instantly. They've added no Irish show to this album tour, so maybe there's a plan to get them back for an outdoor show at some stage. Wouldn't be a sell out, but would get over 50k at it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Fake news, also played the arena in Belfast on the same run which isn't managable for a number of acts and they'd only sold out the Ulster Hall a few months prior.

https://m.facebook.com/events/3arena/muse-dublin-ireland-3arena-dublin-sold-out/482066188622074/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Would Green Day be big enough nowadays too headline ??

Actually wtf are they up to nowadays

They played Kilmainham last year and it was pretty much sold out.

They wouldn't be a Slane headliner unless it was something like 30 years since Dookie or something in 5 years time. Ain't gonna happen though.

Dare I say Kanye West headlines Slane within in the next 5 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

callaway92 wrote: »
    They played Kilmainham last year and it was pretty much sold out.

They wouldn't be a Slane headliner unless it was something like 30 years since Dookie or something in 5 years time. Ain't gonna happen though.

Dare I say Kanye West headlines Slane within in the next 5 years?

Oh Jasus no way he’s useless tripe

My money is on AC/DC or GNR would be great to see agin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Muse could definitely be an option, but you'd want a strong support.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement