Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underrated areas in Dublin with houses under 300k?

Options
  • 19-09-2018 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Just looking for suggestions of places to look for in Dublin with homes under 300k that would get you to sandyford in about an hour

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Tallaght

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Idonotknow

Tallaght

Are there any particular areas you would suggest or any parts to avoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Inchicore, parts of drimnagh... Irishtown

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

300k might get you a 1 bed in irishtown! We sold there this year. Crazy prices.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

An hour by what? Car?

In that case pretty much the entirety of Dublin is open to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

If your not put off by a m50 commute OP have a look in kilbarrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

Glasnevin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Glasnevin for under 300K?

Or wait for these 150k houses to appear. Whatever about the timeline, there's some seriously good site locations in the city being targetted for these developments. I believe cathal brugha barracks is one. That's an amazing location. Potentially you could get a 3 bed in there for 350k under the proposed government scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Idonotknow wrote: »

Kilnamanagh, Belgard Heights, Kingswood Heights, Old Bawn. Basically the older, settled areas. Avoid would be Jobstown, Kilinarden, Fortunestown etc.

Same for Clondalkin. Areas within walking distance to the village like Newlands, Bushfield, Hazelwood, Monastery, Johns Wood, Johns Park, Willow, Laurel Park, Brigids Ave. And avoid Rowlagh, Neilstown, Bawnogue etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Idonotknow wrote: »

To generalise completely, yes to east of The Square, no to west. I live in the west, but it's a newish estate (c. 12 years old) and not one of the badly planned 80's monstrosities. New 175 bus would get you to Sandyford via Dundrum Luas within an hour off-peak, not sure about peak.

Old Bawn is a good shout, but the prices might be higher than €300k.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

annoyedgal wrote: »
    If your not put off by a m50 commute OP have a look in kilbarrack.

+1 On Kilbarrack but under 300K will be pushing it now. Most of the ex corpo 3 beds are going slightly over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

jon1981 wrote: »
    Or wait for these 150k houses to appear. Whatever about the timeline, there's some seriously good site locations in the city being targetted for these developments. I believe cathal brugha barracks is one. That's an amazing location. Potentially you could get a 3 bed in there for 350k under the proposed government scheme.

Are there any actual plans to convert cathal burgh barracks or some political just mentioned it'd be a good idea? It would be fantastic though, its a huge plot of land right by the south canal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Balrothery in Tallaght. Me and my wife are strongly considering selling up here in Terenure and buying up there. Its a lovely, quiet settled estate and right beside the motorway, so you would be in Sandyford in minutes

wakka12 wrote: »
    Are there any actual plans to convert cathal burgh barracks or some political just mentioned it'd be a good idea? It would be fantastic though, its a huge plot of land right by the south canal

Lands mentioned:

Among the Dublin city centre zones are Grangegorman; Broadstone; O’Devaney Gardens; St Bricin’s Hospital; Infirmary Road; holdings by CIÉ, such as the rail works in Inchicore; St Teresa’s Gardens; Newmarket Square; Meath Hospital; Dublin Institute of Technology sites; Cathal Brugha Barracks; Harold’s Cross Greyhound Stadium and Portobello GAA pitch; the Irish Glass Bottle site; Bridgefoot Street; Arbour Hill prison; Collins Barracks; Boland’s Mills; the North Dock of Dublin Port; East Wall and St James’s Gate.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/new-state-agency-to-free-up-land-for-150-000-homes-over-20-years-1.3627335?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Dude89

Balrothery in Tallaght. Me and my wife are strongly considering selling up here in Terenure and buying up there. Its a lovely, quiet settled estate and right beside the motorway, so you would be in Sandyford in minutes

Imagine leaving Terenure.... Are you insane

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Kilnamanagh, Belgard Heights, Kingswood Heights, Old Bawn. Basically the older, settled areas.

Probably missed the boat on those areas being sub €300k. Some houses going for over €400k in these estates now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

wakka12 wrote:

It is total pie in the sky. Would not be putting all my eggs in that basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Qrt wrote: »
    To generalise completely, yes to east of The Square, no to west. I live in the west, but it's a newish estate (c. 12 years old) and not one of the badly planned 80's monstrosities. New 175 bus would get you to Sandyford via Dundrum Luas within an hour off-peak, not sure about peak.

Old Bawn is a good shout, but the prices might be higher than €300k.

Houses in Old Bawn are selling over €320K at the minute . Even ones needing full renovation are going for that and ones in good order well over it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Hi OP
    Earlier this year I spent quite some time hunting for southside homes at around this price point, and approximately the same areas too:
    (For a young married couple of my acquaintance)
    Surprisingly, I did find a number of properties: but they were either very small, or in areas that were traditionally quite poor
    Must it be a house?
    You will find apartments...but they have no gardens, of course.
    Best places were: Sallynoggin, or Sundrive. Old council houses getting gentrified are still possible hunting-grounds if you are willing to do the modernising yourself (bit by bit, lol)
    Cherry Orchard had several, but...you could end up with some problem neighbours (no offense meant)

What size of and type of property were you hoping for?
    I've already pulled up from DAFT.ie some apartments - Bohernabreena, Rathcoole etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/13-oak-view-santry-dublin-9/4267000

Near enough to the M50 that you would be in Sandyford in under an hour very good public in to town and good schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

If you stretched the budget a bit:
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/31-shanliss-drive-santry-dublin-9/4269244

It needs work but its a large house with a big garden and a garage it would make a very nice home.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭John DoeReMi

I live on an estate in Inchicore called The Ranch - mix of cottages and two up / two down houses. No gardens though. Nice little estate. Rented there years ago then bought when the crash happened.

Dude89 wrote: »
    Imagine leaving Terenure.... Are you insane
    We have our reasons to consider it. We have a front and back garden that you wouldnt swing a cat in, and a seven year old son that needs a garden to play. We also have the most interfering nosey neighbours that you can think of, think Hyacinth Bouquet multiplied by 100.

The financial side of it is also tempting us. A house opposite us sold for almost 800k a couple of months ago and ours is recently renovated from top to bottom so we could ask for more, a house we were looking at in Balrothery was on the market for 280

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭boris1234

Clogher Road, Crumlin

https://m.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/139-clogher-road-crumlin-dublin-12/4273258

Close to town. All amenities nearby. Bought here myself and love it

mariaalice wrote: »
    If you stretched the budget a bit:
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/31-shanliss-drive-santry-dublin-9/4269244

It needs work but its a large house with a big garden and a garage it would make a very nice home.
    Anyone have a phone number for Dermot Bannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Day Lewin wrote:
    Kimmage, Sundrive Rd.

I wouldn't live there. I have a friend who does and she absolutely hates it.

Much nicer parts of Tallaght and a better house nearer to Sandyford too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I live on an estate in Inchicore called The Ranch - mix of cottages and two up / two down houses. No gardens though. Nice little estate. Rented there years ago then bought when the crash happened.
    I live round the corner on Lally Road, great little street and very handy to town.
    I looked in the Ranch but as you say no garden so ruled it out.
    It's also not Inchicore... Its ballyfermot... No matter what way the EAs spin it I think :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

I wouldn't live there. I have a friend who does and she absolutely hates it. .

Do you know why?

Advertisement