Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underrated areas in Dublin with houses under 300k?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Monksfield or Woodford areas of Clondalkin. Walking distance to the village on right side of Clondalkin. Beside red cow / m50 sandy ford in 30 mins. Prices under 300k for 3 bed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Qrt wrote:
    Do you know why?

The neighbours. Specifically their kids. She is a single woman living by herself and has had to put up with a lot of harassment. Bored kids entertaining themselves by throwing things at her house and spitting on her windows. And the parents do not care. She was afraid to let her cats out at one stage. That was a couple of years ago and possibly the kids have moved on but it sounded pretty horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

The neighbours. Specifically their kids. She is a single woman living by herself and has had to put up with a lot of harassment. Bored kids entertaining themselves by throwing things at her house and spitting on her windows. And the parents do not care. She was afraid to let her cats out at one stage. That was a couple of years ago and possibly the kids have moved on but it sounded pretty horrible.

That could happen anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

griffdaddy wrote: »

When my granny was growing up in Dundrum, the woman next door used to tell her kids to throw stones at granny and siblings any time they saw them outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

griffdaddy wrote:

I was only saying why I wouldn't live there myself. Doesn't mean other people won't have a completely different experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Qrt wrote: »
    When my granny was growing up in Dundrum, the woman next door used to tell her kids to throw stones at granny and siblings any time they saw them outside.

tbh Dundrum of the past was a fairly knackery area. It's only in the past few decades it's acquired a solid middle class reputation ;)

Anyways always try to avoid buying in an area with a large amount of white vans parked outside houses...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    tbh Dundrum of the past was a fairly knackery area. It's only in the past few decades it's acquired a solid middle class reputation ;)

Anyways always try to avoid buying in an area with a large amount of white vans parked outside houses...

Bit snobby there. Probably workmen earning multiples of your salary

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Anything between the Nangor and Naas road in Clondalkin is generally a very settled area with very good amenities. Some of those will be well outside the 300k mark but away from Clondalkin village you will find some gems that are well priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I wouldn't live there. I have a friend who does and she absolutely hates it.

Much nicer parts of Tallaght and a better house nearer to Sandyford too.

Well, I have a friend who lived in Tallaght until his front door was stolen off the hinges. And his car was burnt out. So, no thanks.
    Whereas my cousin in Sundrive has a strong, friendly community.
    Come to that, in Foxrock you can barely borrow a cup of sugar from a neighbour because they all have these coded gates!

My point is, one person's experience doesn't define a district.
    If you find a reasonably priced house, others will find them too, and the area will reflect the aspirations of the hopeful young.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Well, I have a friend who lived in Tallaght until his front door was stolen off the hinges. And his car was burnt out. So, no thanks.

What part?
    Council estates in West Tallaght Avoid,Avoid,Avoid!!!!
    Balrothery so so as well!
    Oldbawn,Millbrook and around St Dominick’s R.C and Seskin View ( private estates) nice settled areas and up until recently there were bargains to be had! Avonbeg ex council estate but ok!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

2 bed ex council houses in the Sarsfield road, Bluebell parts of Ballyfermot are great value. 5 km from the city centre, close to Luas, Heuston station. Under 300 last time I looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 doneill94

Ballymun is a bargain

Sundew wrote: »
    What part?
    Council estates in West Tallaght Avoid,Avoid,Avoid!!!!
    Balrothery so so as well!
    Oldbawn,Millbrook and around St Dominick’s R.C and Seskin View ( private estates) nice settled areas and up until recently there were bargains to be had! Avonbeg ex council estate but ok!

I'm don't think Avonbeg can be classed as "ex-council". It was constructed as a council estate, some sold off, not all. Exact same as West Tallaght, the only difference being was that it was beside the village, so not devoid of services from construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

ZeroThreat wrote: »

The absence of vans outside of houses would be more of a worry tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

dsmythy wrote: »
    The absence of vans outside of houses would be more of a worry tbh.

+1 white van means trade, means solid working class area that doesn't want to be woken up by some pillock at 2am blaring music when they have to be on site at 7am. Also if the boom keeps booming, it's nice to be able to knock on the door of a neighbour and get that leak sorted/ socket moved for a €50 nixer than a €250 call out to be told it's not worth getting out of bed for.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Finglas/Cabra
    its less than an hour on the LUAS to Sandyford - Do it regularly

40/50 mins on the M50 to Sandyford

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

spurious wrote: »
    At approx. 450 sq feet, this home is about the size of a typical one bedroom apartment,

You have to love the wishful thinking of the folks from the Peninsula. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

I'm living in the Glenfield area of Clondalkin, nice quite estate on the cold cut road, very close to liffey valley and a straight run to the city centre, houses in the area range between 240-270k. Considering to rent one of them is 1400-1600, it's good value to buy..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Brainz wrote: »
    I'm living in the Glenfield area of Clondalkin, nice quite estate on the cold cut road, very close to liffey valley and a straight run to the city centre, houses in the area range between 240-270k. Considering to rent one of them is 1400-1600, it's good value to buy..

Area surrounding Glenfield would be what worries me, ie Greenfort, St Marks, Harelawn etc. A cursory google search of those estates would show why. Plus, the fact that the bus service (40/76) are curtailed several times a week due to anti-social behaviour. I grew up and went to school in that area, and wouldn't be keen on dropping close to 300k to stay there permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Cali_girl wrote: »

Wow, a little cutie, and in a pinch you could cycle or even walk to Sandyford!

Wow, a little cutie, and in a pinch you could cycle or even walk to Sandyford!

AND to Dun Laoghaire and the pier and Teddy's on the weekends :pac:

*no it's not mine but if you could live with the size and had a nice gig in Sandyford you'd have a very nice lifestyle!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Kilnamanagh, Belgard Heights, Kingswood Heights, Old Bawn. Basically the older, settled areas. Avoid would be Jobstown, Kilinarden, Fortunestown etc.

Same for Clondalkin. Areas within walking distance to the village like Newlands, Bushfield, Hazelwood, Monastery, Johns Wood, Johns Park, Willow, Laurel Park, Brigids Ave. And avoid Rowlagh, Neilstown, Bawnogue etc.

I'd add Aylesbury to the settled areas list also.

Ush1 wrote: »
    I'd add Aylesbury to the settled areas list also.

Bancroft too, they're big houses too so they might be over the €300k mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Qrt wrote: »
    Bancroft too, they're big houses too so they might be over the €300k mark.

They'd be about 400K I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

We have our reasons to consider it. We have a front and back garden that you wouldnt swing a cat in, and a seven year old son that needs a garden to play. We also have the most interfering nosey neighbours that you can think of, think Hyacinth Bouquet multiplied by 100.

The financial side of it is also tempting us. A house opposite us sold for almost 800k a couple of months ago and ours is recently renovated from top to bottom so we could ask for more, a house we were looking at in Balrothery was on the market for 280

Just shows how demented people in Dublin are about postcodes that they'd look down at a financial deal like that to avoid moving to a perfectly settled area about 4-5km away purely on postcode perception. It's almost like a cult mindset :D

OP, I doubt you'd get anything in good nick in Tallaght areas like Ellensborough, Kingswood, Bancroft or Old Bawn for sub 300k these days. You might get something a bit further out in citywest. There's some nice enough, settled estates like Corbally or Verschoyle that might be on or just over 300k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

duffman13 wrote: »
    Anything between the Nangor and Naas road in Clondalkin is generally a very settled area with very good amenities. Some of those will be well outside the 300k mark but away from Clondalkin village you will find some gems that are well priced.

Yeah St. Johns, Cherrywood etc would be in the range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Nermal

you can barely borrow a cup of sugar from a neighbour

does this actually happen outside of an Angela's Ashes novel

Advertisement