Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIOS and HDD trouble

Options
  • 19-09-2018 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

How are ye,

Have a HDD that seems to be giving up the ghost, it started just not showing up in Windows, normally a reboot would fix but after a few days it stopped showing up altogether, haven't been able to get any go from it since.

It shows up in BIOS alright on its own but its less reliable if I connect another drive (3 in total).

When I do connect the dodge one, Windows takes bloody ages to boot (its booting from an SSD) and then doesnt show the drive existing.

Have swapped all my SATA and power cables and get the same issues.

Is the drive just on the way out? Would rather not replace it :( there's no clicks and before this there were zero issues with the drive, it seems like a very rapid deterioration.

Turns out my BIOS isn't goosed it just takes like a minute to load for some reason, is there any need to go reinstalling it or should I just keep patient.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Alright so Windows has decided to throw me a bone, its showing up in Disk Management as a Dynamic Foreign disk, my options are Import Foreign Disk or Convert to Basic

*edit* Also, have done a full reinstall of Windows since this has been happening

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Alright so Windows has decided to throw me a bone, its showing up in Disk Management as a Dynamic Foreign disk, my options are Import Foreign Disk or Convert to Basic

*edit* Also, have done a full reinstall of Windows since this has been happening

Maybe run a check disk on it to see if the filesystem is corrupted and can be fixed?

Importing it as a foreign disk showed it as normal, that worked until the next boot.

Check Disk showed no issues, its still only showing up intermiddently but all my datas still there and accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I hope you have the data backed up elsewhere . ... if not do it now before anything happens that prevents recovery.

Theres nothing crucial on it afaik, gonna disconnect it and order a new drive for now anyways

• Advertisement
Advertisement