Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100 euro to spend before I can use Home Renovation Incentive

Options
  • 19-09-2018 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for an advice.
    We did some work in the house and now I need to spend a further 100 euro before I can claim my vat back for a total spend of 5000 euro.
    The first 4900 euro have been already submitted by the contractors to the revenue.

Any small job I could do to add few hundred euros?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

You're sure the contractors can't send an amended invoice for the 100 euro materials underpayment they forgot to include on the original? I'm sure they'd be willing to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

cargen wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for an advice.
    We did some work in the house and now I need to spend a further 100 euro before I can claim my vat back for a total spend of 5000 euro.
    The first 4900 euro have been already submitted by the contractors to the revenue.

Why not buy some pots of paint and a few brushes. Or some plants for the garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

What did you get done?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭cargen

Ste.phen wrote: »
    You're sure the contractors can't send an amended invoice for the 100 euro materials underpayment they forgot to include on the original? I'm sure they'd be willing to

They are last year jobs and we don't want to contact them anymore due to some problem.

What did you get done?

We did few bits with a total spend of 30k, bit only some of the contractors have submitted works to the revenue.
    Others are gone after we did the last payment

• Advertisement

Turnipman wrote: »
    Why not buy some pots of paint and a few brushes. Or some plants for the garden.

Not sure you can claim this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Not sure you can claim this way.

You're probably right - better to ask the contractor to buy them for you and then to process the payment through the HRI website.

EDIT - just saw your comment regarding some problem. So ignore the above advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Get a spark to fit an additional or outdoor socket?
    Get a plumber to fit a garden tap?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

WiFi controlled central Heating Controls like a Nest, Climote, Hive etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

kceire wrote: »
    WiFi controlled central Heating Controls like a Nest, Climote, Hive etc

Depends- most suppliers are giving these gratis to customers as a retention ploy- aka- sign up to us for another year and get a Free Hive and EUR200 into your gas account, and 14% off your standard unit rates.......... Times must be bad for suppliers- but anyone who plays hardball with them- can really do a proper shakedown.

If you're to buy these off the shelf- and get them installed (and they do have to be installed)- it'll cost you a lot more than the 100 quid the OP wants to pay.

OP- honestly- I'd suggest leaving good enough alone- claim your 4,900- its not worth tying yourself up in knots for the sake of the VAT on another 100 Euro of expenditure..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

OP- honestly- I'd suggest leaving good enough alone- claim your 4,900- its not worth tying yourself up in knots for the sake of the VAT on another 100 Euro of expenditure..........

But I think you need a minimum spend of 5000 to claim, is that not their point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Get your bathroom painted. Or another small room.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hi,

Looking for an advice.

That’s fairly inconsiderate of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

august12 wrote: »
    But I think you need a minimum spend of 5000 to claim, is that not their point.

You can accumulate over various spends

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

The OP has spent €4900 to date. He’ll only qualify to claim the rebate if he goes above €5000. So he wants to add a small job to get him over the qualifying limit.
    Would a small window replacement be feasible?
    Garden shed? Our metal garden shed qualifies but it wasn’t cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

Get your chimney/stove cleaned if you have one, maybe fit a rainguard cowl etc to get over the 100 quid. Boiler service is another option, usually about 85, I'm sure they could do something small extra to get to 100.

Advertisement