Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Eir Wi-Fi

Options
  • 19-09-2018 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

As mentioned in a previous thread I have an issue with Eir Wi-FI. I have fibre with Eir, 75mb up, 20 down. I have the F2000 router.

My issue manifests itself in two ways:
    1) a connected device drops wi-fi signal for a few minutes before re-connecting again.
    2) The Wi-Fi only shows as one or even zero bars, stays connected but there is no data activity. The device and apps hang basically for a few minutes on this low wi-fi signal before eventually returning to full or near full bars and data service restored.

Both of these issues occur frequently throughout the day. In most cases I have to knock off wifi on my phone, revert to mobile signal and turn Wi-Fi back on later.

It is occurring on several devices, primarily 5g. Even when I'm sitting right beside the modem.

I am testing the phones on 2.4g today to see if there is any difference but the kids tablets are 2.4g only and they haven't been complaining!

I was on to Eir several times who "made some changes at their end, now go test".

Any direction on some things to test or what I need to be saying to Eir.

All advice appreciated.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

As mentioned in a previous thread I have an issue with Eir Wi-FI. I have fibre with Eir, 75mb up, 20 down. I have the F2000 router.

My issue manifests itself in two ways:
    1) a connected device drops wi-fi signal for a few minutes before re-connecting again.
    2) The Wi-Fi only shows as one or even zero bars, stays connected but there is no data activity. The device and apps hang basically for a few minutes on this low wi-fi signal before eventually returning to full or near full bars and data service restored.

Both of these issues occur frequently throughout the day. In most cases I have to knock off wifi on my phone, revert to mobile signal and turn Wi-Fi back on later.

It is occurring on several devices, primarily 5g. Even when I'm sitting right beside the modem.

I am testing the phones on 2.4g today to see if there is any difference but the kids tablets are 2.4g only and they haven't been complaining!

I was on to Eir several times who "made some changes at their end, now go test".

Any direction on some things to test or what I need to be saying to Eir.

All advice appreciated.
    Thanks!

I would think it is most likely local interference rather than an eir problem - other devices in the home or close by interfering with the signal from the router.
    Maybe try selecting a specific Frequency/Channel on the F2000 and test, then change if that fails ...... rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Thanks Johnboy. Any examples of devices that might interfere?
    I think this issue has been going on a long time now, probably since we got the router.

Racking my brains as to any other devices that we've had that long

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks Johnboy. Any examples of devices that might interfere?
    I think this issue has been going on a long time now, probably since we got the router.

Racking my brains as to any other devices that we've had that long

Could be almost any electrical device I suppose but those most mentioned seem to be DECT phones and Micro-wave devices and neighbours devices.

Your best bet IMO is to change the channel used on the 5Ghz setting in the F2000 (from Auto to a specific channel - start at 36 This is found in Home Network - Wireless Settings - Advanced Settings). Try each channel in turn until you find one that stays connected.

If it does not help then you have eliminated local interference from the equation and could possibly ask for a replacement F2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

do you live near an airport, harbour or port as 5Ghz wi-fi will always give way to radar by design. Some wifi routers will even log this event so maybe check the eir router logs. I have a friend who lives next to a harbour and the passing ships kills his 5Ghz so he reverted all devices to 2 and all is good.

If this is the case just use 2Ghz and forget about 5.

Just a quick update. Have been testing 2.4g connection on my phone and my wife's phone for last day. Definitely some improvement but I wouldn't say the issue has been eliminated.

I've experienced issue number 2 as per the first post on 2.4g
    2) The Wi-Fi only shows as one or even zero bars, stays connected but there is no data activity

Separately I downloaded a wifi analyser app on the phone which picked out some free channels for me. I changed the 5g channel on router to one of those.

SO i'll go back to 5g and restest that too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

As you have mentioned in your other thread, you have extended your WiFi by other device.
    In the sitting room, I have a tP ac1350 router connected to the ethernet socket. Primarily to extend the wifi in the house but it also gets me a few extra ports for the devices there.
    What way you have set this up?
    Which device is DHCP? Have you disabled it on tP ac1350 router if f2000 is DHCP(or other way around)
    Have you set separate SSID's or using same? What channel setting you have?

These two issues might be well related.

More details about network layout/settings needed.

Thanks smuggler. For the purposes of this testing, I've removed the second router. Only connection available is the 2.4g or 5g eir modem.

Want to eliminate the eir one or not from the situation although I'm sure it existed before I got the second router, hence buying it in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭ArrBee

WiFi in the home is a varied beast.
    You have all sorts to contend with. Electrical appliances, building structures etc.

Generally speaking to get reliable WiFi through walls 2.4Ghz will be better, but is a noisier band.
    5Ghz can offer greater speed over shorter distances and is more impacted by walls and stuff, but *should* have less RF interference in most homes.
    Obviously locating a WiFi access point is critical too.

So, if you are experiencing the sorts of drop outs you describe while sat next to the access point in your router without moving around, then you have a problem that needs troubleshooting.
    But if you are getting drop outs and you have structural and/or RF interference between AP and client device, you are more than likely reaching the boundaries of your equipment.
    You can locate your equipment or add to it to give you better coverage if this is the case.

All in all, it's tricky to fix over a forum.

One of my 1st steps when faced with this sort of issue, is to install a WiFi scanning/analysing app and asses blackspots/coverage that way before deciding if I can get away with move an AP or if I need to buy another one.

Don't forget not all WiFi is equal, a lot of APs built into a router are crap. either giving short range or not really coping with staying on all day everyday without restarts.

Since moving to 2xdedicated APs in my home, I left the sorts of issues you described behind me!
    rock solid now, and I can roam the house without pauses for handover between APs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

as many people post here invest in Unifi APs. You will never regret the small cost as once setup you will forget you have them as they just work and give you a whole slew of very useful wifi features.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-LR-Range-Access/dp/B00HXT8S9G

Thanks bailmeout and smuggler.

I do have tp link ac1350. Any guides on how to incorporate that correctly to my network to have downstairs would be much appreciated

I did have it set up but would like to go at it again and report back.

I jus want to be bale to walk around my modest 4 bed 2 storey house without dropping wifi!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

We have same F2000 router at work, and it gives WiFi issues intermittently.
    Generally we not using it for our needs(all wired) and its not serving anything part of WiFi for rare visitors - AP only
    once in couple of weeks we get inconvenient situation were visitor not able to connect to WiFi - reboot of F2000 usually solves this.

As it was mentioned above, dedicated AP would be my choice and recommendation. Once you have tp link ac1350, for now, until committed for dedicated AP, you can use that. Leave DHCP running on your main F2000, but disable WiFi. See if TPLink able to cover your premises. Make sure DHCP is disabled on TPLink

Enterprise grade AP would give you good coverage. Its pricey, but worth it.
    Myself using Cisco Aironet 3500 AP - requires knowledge to configure, not consumer friendly, but even being oldish does perfect job.
    Ubiquiti - Have not used, but apparently more consumer friendly, easy to configure/manage. I believe you will get reviews here or on Google.

Depending on area to cover you might need two AP.

And note - WiFi will never beat properly installed wired network, so use wire whenever you can.

As mentioned I want to get the TP link added in the network to give me full wifi coverage around the house. The eir modem is upstairs and the master, the tp link downstairs, the slave

Attached are the DHCP and wireless settings from the Eir router. How do these look.

I will post the TP link settings next once I can track down my logon and password!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

As mentioned I want to get the TP link added in the network to give me full wifi coverage around the house. The eir modem is upstairs and the master, the tp link downstairs, the slave

Attached are the DHCP and wireless settings from the Eir router. How do these look.

I will post the TP link settings next once I can track down my logon and password!

Are you in an urban environment with other 5GHz networks around? If so you really shouldn't be using an 80MHz channel. Try setting it to 20/40 in the eir router.

http://www.revolutionwifi.net/revolutionwifi/2013/03/safely-using-80-mhz-channels-with.html

In a housing estate. Made that change. Do the channels I've chosen still hold. I tried to puck ones a bit up the range to avoid neighbours being on the lower ones.

Attached are screenshots from the basic settings in the TP Link

SSIDs and passwords are set to match the Eir modem

Will follow with advanced settings shortly

In a housing estate. Made that change. Do the channels I've chosen still hold. I tried to puck ones a bit up the range to avoid neighbours being on the lower ones.

Should do. I had an issue where one of my devices could not see the 5GHz if I set a channel above 44. There's no harm in doing some experimenting with different channels to see if it resolves your drop out issue. I'd avoid the 80MHz channel width though.

Attached are the advanced network settings on the TP Link. Please feel free to point out any errors or adjustments - I'm not precious! Thanks!

Last lot of settings under network

Look alright. You haven't posted what channels you're using for 2.4 and 5GHz on the TP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Do you have your tp link set to access point mode in network settings?

• Advertisement

Look alright. You haven't posted what channels you're using for 2.4 and 5GHz on the TP.

Sorry, got distracted watching Jack Ryan, one episode to go!

Your 2.4ghz is interfering, 6 and 8 overlap and will cause problems for one another. Change the one on channel 8 to 11 or 1. There are only 3 non overlapping channels in 2.4ghz, 1, 6 and 11

Do you have your tp link set to access point mode in network settings?

Hmm. Not sure where that setting is, I can't find it anywhere. All menu options are in screenshots in previous posts.

I thought the naming of the SSID compared to the Eir device determined if it was an access point or extender mode.
    For now I've set it the same as the eir modem.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Hmm. Not sure where that setting is, I can't find it anywhere. All menu options are in screenshots in previous posts.

I thought the naming of the SSID compared to the Eir device determined if it was an access point or extender mode.
    For now I've set it the same as the eir modem.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

You have a second router, you would need to stop it routing or you will end up with 2 networks and the dreaded double NAT which can cause problems. What exact model number is it?

I posted an issue with your wireless channels in the post above, did you miss it?

Your 2.4ghz is interfering, 6 and 8 overlap and will cause problems for one another. Change the one on channel 8 to 11 or 1. There are only 3 non overlapping channels in 2.4ghz, 1, 6 and 11

Done.
    I posted an issue with your wireless channels in the post above, did you miss it?

I think we posted simultaneously!

You have a second router, you would need to stop it routing or you will end up with 2 networks and the dreaded double NAT which can cause problems. What exact model number is it?

TP link archer c58

Let me know if you need any screenshots of settings etc. Thanks!

TP link archer c58

Let me know if you need any screenshots of settings etc. Thanks!

Doesn't look like it has an access point mode, some devices do. All info online just says give it an IP address in the range of the first router, disable DHCP and connect it to the original router using a Lan port. You've done all this.

Doesn't look like it has an access point mode, some devices do. All info online just says give it an IP address in the range of the first router, disable DHCP and connect it to the original router using a Lan port. You've done all this.

Excellent, looks like its a case of testing now I guess?

• Advertisement

Just a small update to say I'm definitely seeing improvements with regard to Wi-Fi around the house.

There is the occasional pause but the Wi-Fi never drops and kicks you out.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Advertisement