Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when will BoI have Google Pay or Android payments?

Options
  • 19-09-2018 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,
    I keep trying Google Pay app & keep being told my bank does not support.
    I inquired from a bank counter assistant, and she had no idea what I was talking about.
    Will you please see if there is any prospect of getting a payment app SOON
    And Please, not just iphone stuff.
    Contactless payment is handy, but as a pensioner & getting forgetful I am nervous of losing or
    mislaying my card.
    Also it has happened that I have gone out without wallet or purse...but Never phone.
    Please help
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Just move banks. It’s really not that hard to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 happym

Thanks,
    I will if necessary, but all the new numbers for accounts , online etc would be a pain 
    in the arse
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Or maybe BoI could get into the modern world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi happym,

Thanks for your post.

We have several previous threads asking this. We've no update on mobile payments but we will advise customers on our websites and social channels if this changes.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

How about getting a Revolut card? It's a prepaid debit card so you'd have to top it up first but can be used with Google Pay and is also great for exchange rates if you go away/buy online.

Also, you can top it up on the fly so even if you don't have your wallet with you, can top up Revolut just using phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Move to AIB OP, they are very good. Account switching is very easy these days you just walk in to AIB with some id, give them your BoI bank account details and they switch all your direct debits etc. over on a date you specify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Wheety wrote: »
    How about getting a Revolut card? It's a prepaid debit card so you'd have to top it up first but can be used with Google Pay and is also great for exchange rates if you go away/buy online.

Also, you can top it up on the fly so even if you don't have your wallet with you, can top up Revolut just using phone.
    That's what I did. I use the Revolut for all spending and withdrawals with it's own card or via Google pay, and only use the Bank of Ireland Visa Debit for topping up the Revolut. Much handier than changing accounts.

Added bonus in that you've so much more security options via the app for disabling stuff (online payments, ATM withdrawals, etc) and you get notifications any time the card is used so you can't be diddled at contactless machines in shops where they insist on tapping your card and won't give you a receipt.

Patww79 wrote: »

That's what I did. I use the Revolut for all spending and withdrawals with it's own card or via Google pay, and only use the Bank of Ireland Visa Debit for topping up the Revolut. Much handier than changing accounts.

Added bonus in that you've so much more security options via the app for disabling stuff (online payments, ATM withdrawals, etc) and you get notifications any time the card is used so you can't be diddled at contactless machines in shops where they insist on tapping your card and won't give you a receipt.
    Also, I'm not sure if they're doing free physical card at the moment but as I told my wife, if you just sign up and don't order one for a while (if they're charging €6) they might send you an email offering a free card. They did for my wife anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

Revolut all the way. BOI is a sinking ship. They are busy closing branches instead of adding features that would keep customers onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

On newtalk business this morning they said they are working on other things and Pay ain't high on the priority list that they are working off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Tow

They let go all their IT staff 15+ years ago.  At the time it looked good for their profits/bonuses.  The problem is (modern banks are IT companies which manage money) everything has stagnated since them.  They currently in the middle of a ~1Bn plan to overhaul their core aging infrastructure.  Messing around with hi-tech payment systems is on the long finger, the basics have to be fixed first.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Tow wrote: »
    They let go all their IT staff 15+ years ago.  At the time it looked good for their profits/bonuses.  The problem is (modern banks are IT companies which manage money) everything has stagnated since them.  They currently in the middle of a ~1Bn plan to overhaul their core aging infrastructure.  Messing around with hi-tech payment systems is on the long finger, the basics have to be fixed first.
    And they let consultants cannibalize the bank IT from 2014 on. Now those consultants are leading the design, and future plans. It's a gravy train, that is only designed to enrich the consultant companies. Nothing will get delivered in a hurry. Survival of the contract with the consultant is tantamount. Google Play or Android are at the back of a very long queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Michaellennon

Thats really not good enough , is there even a road map to enable mobile payments?? Boi and Ptsb are not letting thier customers avail of this service. It's a joke really.
    Hi happym,

Thanks for your post.

We have several previous threads asking this. We've no update on mobile payments but we will advise customers on our websites and social channels if this changes.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

Patww79 wrote: »

Also, I'm not sure if they're doing free physical card at the moment but as I told my wife, if you just sign up and don't order one for a while (if they're charging €6) they might send you an email offering a free card. They did for my wife anyway.
    I setup my revolut card on google pay and it said it cant be used in stores it can only be used online, is there a setting or something that needs to be turned on in the app in order to use google pay in shops

Thats really not good enough , is there even a road map to enable mobile payments?? Boi and Ptsb are not letting thier customers avail of this service. It's a joke really.

Hi there,

When any information becomes available to us we will let customers know here.

Thanks
    Tara

ellobee wrote: »
    I setup my revolut card on google pay and it said it cant be used in stores it can only be used online, is there a setting or something that needs to be turned on in the app in order to use google pay in shops
    You usually have to 'activate' it for contactless by using it with chip and pin first. If still not working, go into the card in Revolut app and then security and make sure contactless is switched on. Button should be blue and slider is to the right.

Do BOI have any of the digital wallets?

KBC have Apple, Google, Fitbit and Garmin :-)

https://www.kbc.ie/banking-at-your-fingertips/digital-wallets

You usually have to 'activate' it for contactless by using it with chip and pin first. If still not working, go into the card in Revolut app and then security and make sure contactless is switched on. Button should be blue and slider is to the right.

Do BOI have any of the digital wallets?

KBC have Apple, Google, Fitbit and Garmin :-)

https://www.kbc.ie/banking-at-your-fingertips/digital-wallets
    the contactless works fine I'm talking about google pay, I was checking it out and it looks like google pay is only available for mastercard cards and 
    not visa cards and mine is a visa card

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Heroditas

On newtalk business this morning they said they are working on other things and Pay ain't high on the priority list that they are working off

A functional website would be a good start

the contactless works fine I'm talking about google pay, I was checking it out and it looks like google pay is only available for mastercard cards and 
    not visa cards and mine is a visa card
    Actually you're right. I have a Mastercard and always forget this. It doesn't work on Revolut Visa cards yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Griffinx

Is there any update on this BOI? The year is 2019 and please don't give the same answer as above 

• Advertisement

Griffinx wrote: »
    Is there any update on this BOI? The year is 2019 and please don't give the same answer as above 

Hi Griffinx,

No further update on this.

Thanks
    Tara 

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

It's 2020 and still not able to use Android Pay. My 78 year old dad is paying with his phone and I am still walking around with cash.

Archaic BOI

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

It's 2020 and still not able to use Android Pay. My 78 year old dad is paying with his phone and I am still walking around with cash.

Archaic BOI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

Hi Poncke.

Thanks for joining the thread today.

We do plan to integrate phone payments in the future although at present we are unable to confirm timings for this.

We certainly appreciate the interest, we will be sending this to our digital team.

Thanks for taking the time to check this with us.

Many thanks,
    Richard

Just to reiterate, nearly a year later, a functional website would be a start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Heroditas wrote: »
    Just to reiterate, nearly a year later, a functional website would be a start

Couldn’t care less what the website looks like but still have doubled payments and missing transactions by Tuesday/Wednesday after a weekend is mental!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

Hi Heroditas and Mirrorwall14,

Thanks for getting in touch here on Boards.ie.

Our Digital Development Team are currently working on a new Mobile Banking App which will be launched on a phased basis this year. You can find more information on the new app here.

Rest assured we will update our customers closer to the time, confirming the launch date.

We hope this information helps. Please don't hesitate to get back in touch if we can help with anything else.

Many thanks,
    Richard

KBC have a brilliant app. 

KBC have a brilliant app. 
    I've given up on BOI I just use my revolut card all the time now as well as google pay I get an accurate real time balance on my account

• Advertisement

I've given up on BOI I just use my revolut card all the time now as well as google pay I get an accurate real time balance on my account

I just gave up and got myself a Revolut card last week. FR superior to BOI's offering.

Advertisement