Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs in City centre

• 19-09-2018 8:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hey, so the better half is 40 in the next few weeks. Looking to organise a few beers with friends (20 ish).
    It's been so long since we've been in town on a night out so kinda out of touch.
    Looking for some suggestions for a good spot to go with an older crowd, some music but not blaring with tje space to reserve some seats.
    Was thinking of upstairs in market bar, was at a party in there a few years ago and it was buzzin with a nice crowd, is it still the same?
    Any suggestions folks??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

I recall upstairs in Arthur's being decent. They'll let you plug in your own tunes if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭Sinbad311

Is it a function room upstairs? Would prefer to be in with the main hustle and bustle as there's only 20 of us, function room could look a bit sparse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

verycool wrote: »
    I recall upstairs in Arthur's being decent. They'll let you plug in your own tunes if you want.

I loooove this pub. It’s as if they pipe the Guinness directly from the storehouse.

The last day I was in they had the fire on downstairs, I had a belter of a stew and and pint or seven of the black stuff.

Not really city center though, a bit off the beaten track. Not much but a bit.

Op if craft beer is your thing any of the Galway Bay pubs are nice like the black sheep, another one near Whelan who’s name escapes me.

The capital is grand for cheap cocktails if that’s what you’re into and to be fair there’s a number of pubs on that stretch I’d be a fan of.

Not really city center though, a bit off the beaten track. Not much but a bit.

Thanks Murphy, yeah looking for something central enough. Its gas, used to be in town every wkd until I had kids lol.. So out of touch. Capital bar could be an option. Remember years ago we used to always start the night there

Sinbad311 wrote: »
    Is it a function room upstairs? Would prefer to be in with the main hustle and bustle as there's only 20 of us, function room could look a bit sparse

Might be a bit yeah, but yee could have a meal then pop down to the rabble downstairs. Fills up fairly fast...actually booking an area downstairs might work.

Maybe Oscars on Fishamble Street (they do an amazing burger!). It's a mezzanine you can book upstairs so you'll still be able to view / pop down to the main bar.

Also, upstairs in Bull and Castle is nice too if any of yee are in to the craft beers. Although, sometimes it feels like more of a "stag and hens" venue (not sure why I get that). It does fill up too.

• Advertisement

Dont think a meal was in her plans, maybe a platter or two. More of a session and a catchup with the old gang!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Ruin bar on corner of tara and fleet st. Used to be mac turcaills. Or camden exchange on camden st.

Or the mercantile on Dame St, nice area down the back that opens onto Dame Lane.

Will check them out, thx for the suggestions Teds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Foggy Dew

Have messaged the foggy yeah, not sure they'll reserve seats. Place does be jammers. Waiting to hear back. Great boozer with great music

• Advertisement

Have messaged the foggy yeah, not sure they'll reserve seats. Place does be jammers. Waiting to hear back. Great boozer with great music

You can reserve the two tables tucked around the corner. If you're coming in from the Central Bank side it's up the few steps and the last tables you see on the left.

Guinness was a bit watery the last time I was there, but great pub and tunes!

I know the seats ur talking about, suppose we could the in and kinda take the area around it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Upstairs of stags head?

Never been upstairs, is it open to public? like the buzz around that part of town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Never been upstairs, is it open to public? like the buzz around that part of town

On busier nights it is such as Thurs-Sat. My wife had 30th bday drinks up there for about 30 ppl. We had it until about 10ish before the let other ppl up. Great spot. Give them a call.

Cheers Jon, chatting to herself about it now, gonna go on a recon mission Friday evening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

TheShow wrote: »
    Ruin bar on corner of tara and fleet st. Used to be mac turcaills.

That place is massive, and any time ive been in it or gone past it, 95% empty. The long stone round the corner is busier, think the upstairs nooks and crannies can be booked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Op if craft beer is your thing any of the Galway Bay pubs are nice like the black sheep, another one near Whelan who’s name escapes me.

Against the Grain? Can get very cramped I find.
    TheShow wrote: »
    Ruin bar on corner of tara and fleet st. Used to be mac turcaills. Or camden exchange on camden st.

Was in Ruin Bar during the Champions League final for a mates Leaving Party - they have a decent spot up the back, easily seat around 20-30 and it's cordoned off essentially. It was rammed that day for the Final so not sure what it's like normally.

I gave Camden Exchange a mention 3 weeks ago on here in a thread, we had our Engagement Party there (60+ people) and it was excellent. Mixed crowd, but our older family members really enjoyed the place and commented on how nice it was (along with great, but a bit steep finger food). They'll happy reserve a section for you - we had the section just in the door (I requested so people wouldn't get lost down the back :) ) They added in more tables and some beer barrells for us too.

http://lestrangedesigns.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/CE_LED_2.jpg (Image to big to do an img tag on)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Bleedin' Horse on Camden St would be another (if it was a Friday), Saturdays it gets dead fairly early on. Or Cassidys on Camden St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Would be great if only the staff weren't the worst I've ever encountered.

• Advertisement

Nah, i get on great with the staff. Great bunch of lads and lasses.

Advertisement