Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1% pay increase

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

You might even get work with no teacher training if you have an in demand degree. The opportunity is there for the taking in Dublin if you really feel the terms and conditions are so superior. My former school has someone with a degree in History but no teacher training covering an Irish maternity leave - no applicants for the job (though they got one for a RPT contract) and this is just someone known to have good conversational Irish. There's only one qualified Maths teacher in the school. No success in getting any Maths teachers for RPT positions this summer. I was offered two permanent Maths positions this summer on leaving the school but decided to stick with the plan to leave entirely and not just change schools. But the neighbouring school's only Maths teacher is on maternity leave so I have agreed to do evening HL Maths classes for them until January. They're paying over the odds for my time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Average private sector pay rise in Ireland for 2018 is somewhere around 2.5% according to a quick google.
    The public sector are getting 1% now, 1.5% next year and 2% in 2020.

The thing about the private sector is that a lot (not all) are individually negotiated, and you have to justify your pay increase whereas with the PS both under and over performing get rewarded regardless of ability.

Awaits censorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Every teacher on the same scale, same access to allowances and has access to the same pension

In third level the TUI in 1998 negotiated an assistant lecturer grade which managed to introduce a new lower grade and significantly lowered the conditions of new entrants.

It was ironic to see many who would have voted in favour of these proposals at the time now protesting against the current two tier system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

All guff. Teacher bashers all back out from under their respective stones. Must mean the next crash is around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Another pay increase, it’s some job!
    Average private sector pay rise in Ireland for 2018 is somewhere around 2.5% according to a quick google.

It would make you bleedin' sick. All them bleedin' teachers getting 1% increases per annum and the poor landlords of Dublin struggling to get a 20% increase per annum for their rents before they ramp up the rent again next year, not to mention the poor banks charging the highest interest rates in the EU for those bleedin' snobs who can get a mortgage. And the poor creches rocketing up their fees to well over €1000 per child per month to take the government's ECCE grant which was ostensibly for parents but as usual ended up being a handout to businesses (à la the reduction in stamp duty which led builders to increase their prices).

Jaysas, them teachers and their massive 1% pay rise, upon which they pay c. 56% to the state, for doing a whole slew of extra bureaucratic rubbish are clearly the ruination of this society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Your comparing average salaries increases with guarantee salary increases.
    that's apples and oranges.

In the private sector a poor worker won't get the increases, and will in fact get pulled up and could get the sack.

In the public sector, a poor worker is guaranteed these pay increases. there is little no risk of the sack - in fact between 2007 and 2017 only 25 people got the sack.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

stop this public vs private debate please, we always know where it leads....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

How many job were lost in the private sectors since the cuts?

How many teachers were let go during it?

(sorry Driver didn't see your post)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

gaiscioch wrote: »
    The thing about the private sector is that a lot (not all) are fiddling their taxes... [This stupidity could go on and on]

[\QUOTE]

Ah cute, you think you have an argument, clever even... :rolleyes:

The vast majority of those in the private sector are PAYE workers, with the same limited tax dodging facilities as private sector workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

I don't want to get drawn into a public v private debate but teaching isn't the cushy job some people make it out to be.A teacher can spend years going from school to school and moving from location to location with no certainty of their own hours or a cid.This could take from time of graduating to ten or fifteen years later in some cases.Yes this is hard to believe but is the reality for some.Then a cid could be eight hours or ten or something less than full hours.The full salary figures are misleading if not on full hours and not everyone is. Regarding performance there are school and subject inspections so there is monitoring of both the school and subject teaching. The Pisa results for Ireland are also good. If we want a good education system we need good people to teach. If we don't value education we will end up like the UK or Scotland.They can't get teachers.

• Advertisement

Blaizes wrote: »
    I don't want to get drawn into a public v private debate but teaching isn't the cushy job some people make it out to be.A teacher can spend years going from school to school and moving from location to location with no certainty of their own hours or a cid.This could take from time of graduating to ten or fifteen years later in some cases.Yes this is hard to believe but is the reality for some.Then a cid could be eight hours or ten or something less than full hours.The full salary figures are misleading if not on full hours and not everyone is. Regarding performance there are school and subject inspections so there is monitoring of both the school and subject teaching. The Pisa results for Ireland are also good. If we want a good education system we need good people to teach. If we don't value education we will end up like the UK or Scotland.They can't get teachers.

I would agree with a lot of that, but the main problem arises when imo uneducated teachers start demanding xyz when they don't understand the costs to it - the pension being the main one. While the single scheme pension isn't as good as the FS scheme, it's still very valuable when you compared to the private sector.

Stating that striking when exams is the way to do it cause it causes the most pain is what turns the public against the teachers, and why a lot of people would say it's cushy. Of course there is a huge responsibility for the teachers and we want a good education, however given that there is a cost element involved, and not an endless pot of money, an overhaul of the "benefits" are needed which imo would solve some of the issues you mention.

For example, the idea of a career break, while you job is guaranteed, should really be done away with. Getting rid of this benefit would give more people on contracts full time jobs for instance. Like is it fair that someone can just go off traveling the world for a few years and come back and get their job back while someone covers them on a contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,496 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The earlier 2018 pay restoration is absent for your list.

5.1. Unwinding of FEMPI
    5.1.1. As part of the progressive ongoing reduction of the impact on the remuneration and other terms and conditions of all public servants through the Financial Emergency Measures in the Public Interest Acts, the Parties have reached agreement to provide for a fiscally sustainable programme of public service pay measures as follows:

• 1 January 2018 annualised salaries to increase by 1%;
    • 1 October 2018 annualised salaries to increase by 1%.

• 1 January 2019 annualised salaries up to €30,000 to increase by 1%;
    • 1 September annualised salaries to increase by 1.75%.

• 1 January 2020 annualised salaries up to €32,000 to increase by 0.5%;
    • 1 October 2020 annualised salaries to increase by 2%.

There are also changes to the PRD.

2017 PRD exemption = 28,750

2018 PRD exemption = 28,750

2019 ASC exemption = 32,000 for pre 2013 pension members

2020 ASC exemption = 34,500

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Thankfully the anti-teacher brigade are also keen to mention that all teachers pay an extra 10% plus tax over and above the usual PAYE, PRSI, USC etc for that very same pension on all of their income above €28,750. Try googling the emergency legislation PRD which we've been paying since March 2009, or as it will be known from January 2019 when that extra 10% plus tax becomes a permanent fixture on our salaries, the ASC.

Oh wait, they haven't. Quelle surprise.

Yes, the general public are not aware of the scale of the PRD.

Although the exemption limit has and is being increased, as you say from 01.01.2019 it will be a locked-in, permanent extra 10% pension cont, on top of the normal 6.5%.

It's like a 10% extra marginal tax rate on all income over 32,000.

So PS face not a 49% approx MTR, but about 60%.

And yet the media keep talking about a gold-plated pension!!

Another pay increase, it’s some job!

No, it's restoration of part of two previous large cuts.

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes, the general public are not aware of the scale of the PRD.

Although the exemption limit has and is being increased, as you say from 01.01.2019 it will be a locked-in, permanent extra 10% pension cont, on top of the normal 6.5%.

It's like a 10% extra marginal tax rate on all income over 32,000.

So PS face not a 49% approx MTR, but about 60%.

And yet the media keep talking about a gold-plated pension!!

While the general public probably aren't aware of the PRD, it's still a better pension than the average joe will get in the private sector, hence the media and co call them gold plated pensions. They are guaranteed by the state, unlike all the other DB schemes that have wound up.

I don't want this to be seen as a private v public post/debate but if posters continually talk about pension related issues then they have to be educated and understand just how valuable that benefit is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Ace2007 wrote: »
    While the general public probably aren't aware of the PRD, it's still a better pension than the average joe will get in the private sector, hence the media and co call them gold plated pensions. They are guaranteed by the state, unlike all the other DB schemes that have wound up.

I don't want this to be seen as a private v public post/debate but if posters continually talk about pension related issues then they have to be educated and understand just how valuable that benefit is.

How valuable is it really if it is used as a reason for earnings to remain lower and therefore reduces chances of securing a mortgage? Would many private sector workers take a 15k pay cut (within a similar pay bracket) for our pension? This is the very thing that has driven me back to the private sector. I cannot house myself on the promise of a pension and it means zilch in a mortgage application. 15k now, as an initial pay rise having been out of the loop for a decade, immediately increases my mortgage offers by 50k+. If I stayed in teaching then I face ending up with no secure accommodation in my 60s and still struggling to pay rent and having spent my good years forced to house share.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'm closing this down as it's becoming a matter for pensions forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement