Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRTB Rent Increase

Options
  • 19-09-2018 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question. Will a landlord be automatically be investigated by the PRTB if he raises the rent above the rent pressure zone limits by registering the tenacy again or does a complaint need to be made? Also, how would one find out that rent has been raised above the limits, are the PRTB allowed to give out this information? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

Just a quick question. Will a landlord be automatically be investigated by the PRTB if he raises the rent above the rent pressure zone limits by registering the tenacy again or does a complaint need to be made? Also, how would one find out that rent has been raised above the limits, are the PRTB allowed to give out this information? Thanks

RTB will not give that information at the moment, but the new legislation might make this information public soon.

Landlord should provide that information at the start of the tenancy, otherwise on request, see https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/beginning-a-tenancy/setting-rent/new-tenancies/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

There won't be an automatic investigation. The RTB only acts on complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Saints#33

Furthermore, the RTB will only investigate complaints by the new tenant. We moved out and they hiked the rent up €300(having just put it up €75 on us 6 months earlier). I reported letting agent to the RTB but they said it has to come from existing tenant to investigate.

It's a bit of a sham really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Really?
    Even as a landlord that sounds ridicolous...why would they not investigate from tenant who has just left, only them would know what the previous rent was....new tenants by law should be told what previous rent was but in reality are not!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Saints#33 wrote: »
    Furthermore, the RTB will only investigate complaints by the new tenant. We moved out and they hiked the rent up €300(having just put it up €75 on us 6 months earlier). I reported letting agent to the RTB but they said it has to come from existing tenant to investigate.

I know a landlord who was contacted after a previous tenant made a complaint the he had been moved out due to refurbishment and there was a new tenant in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The biggest sham is it’s the landlord who pays the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

Contact the new tenant and get them to dispute, maybe after the break clause (4 or 6 months), just to be safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

4ensic15 wrote: »
    I know a landlord who was contacted after a previous tenant made a complaint the he had been moved out due to refurbishment and there was a new tenant in place.

They'll investigate invalid Part 4 notice claims from previous tenants, because the old tenant was adversely affected by the landlord's actions and therefore has cause of action against the landlord for the invalid termination. An illegal rent increase between tenancies only affects the new tenant, however, so the old tenant has no cause of action in those cases; the new tenant would need to be the one to bring the complaint.

Advertisement