Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Shucking WD MyBooks, this is for you

Options
  • 19-09-2018 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭

Been monitoring WD MyBook 8TB's on Amazon.de with the intention of purchasing a few and shucking them for their 8TB WD Red equivalents inside. ie. Taking the drive out of the enclosure and putting it into our own Media servers etc.

They are on sale for €149.99 at the moment which is nearly €100 less than a barebones WD Red 8TB would cost.

Amazon dot de Linky

I ordered 3 saving me about €300 compared to buying 3x 8TB WD Reds.

The drives in the MyBooks are mostly relabeled WD Reds with a white label to prevent us selling them on as WD Reds at WD red prices.

Its luck of the draw if you get a 128MB or 256MB cache version but for a media server the 128MB cache version is fine anyway. Some versions need a 3v mod depending on your PC PSU but thats as simple of masking off a pin on the Sata power connector with a little piece of insulation tape. On rare occasions you'll find a HGST Helium drive who are a subsidiary of WD.

see r/datahoarder on reddit for more info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8BLjB3odryynx_0MfZ0vGdh6YgZO_fbjIFe6Ar7IRa8saEuuicw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I don't need these. I don't need these. I have 7TB free still. I don't need these.

Can someone tell me why I need these?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Serephucus wrote: »
    I don't need these. I don't need these. I have 7TB free still. I don't need these.

Can someone tell me why I need these?

To store cute puppy dog photo's? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Calibos wrote: »
    They are on sale for €149.99 at the moment

Back up to €200 now I think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Dying to know what ya storing on them :)

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    Dying to know what ya storing on them :)

;);)

L wrote: »
    Back up to €200 now I think.

If you're interested you should download the CamelCamel app and browser extension and set it to monitor this item on Amazon. The deal has been On and Off several times a day over the last couple of days. The link has reverted to a 3rd party sellers but you want to get it at the sale price and 'Dispatched and Sold by Amazon' (Verkauf und Versand durch Amazon) I also set up a CamelCamel notification for Amazon.co.uk. The lowest price it dropped to there was about €175. Actually that reminds me. The €149.99 is the German price with 19% VAT. At the checkout that price gets replaced with the Irish Vat rate of 23% bringing the price to €155 per drive. Remember, the odds are very very good that you are getting a relabled one of these that normally cost €249.99 for €100 less

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Or just have their bot tweet you ;)

ED E wrote: »
    Or just have their bot tweet you ;)

I'm not on Twitter :o

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

the dual drive version is €299 as far as i can see.

• Advertisement
Advertisement