Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil boiler

• 19-09-2018 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Tried firing up oil boiler this eve and no joy. The cover on both sides blew off today. We replaced burner and serviced it a few months ago so don’t think it’s that. Had heating in few days ago and all was good.

There is a transformer type thing going into the circulation pump that is supposed to be lighting up (electrical) but it’s blank. If we jiggle it a bit it lights up with load of numbers and stuff and then we can just hear kind of a burning sound like wires crackling??? Which obviously is not good. But I don’t know what this thing is. I’ve taken a pic but can’t upload it for some reason.

FBC4847_B-_D5_D0-4353-9316-_E3_FBF0067_BD5.jpgpost a pic

It’s a Gerkros Cosyman boiler. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

It a tucson A rated pump.the black box is the control box for the pump.Did water get into the control box after the boiler covers blew off.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Toodles_27

agusta wrote: »
    It a tucson A rated pump.the black box is the control box for the pump.Did water get into the control box after the boiler covers blew off

Thanks very much. Yes, I’d say the rain got in. I don’t know how long it was off for - covers were on when I left but on ground when I got home from work.

Any idea cost wise to get new one? And is it a big job? Only moved into house in Feb and have already forked our for new burner for boiler!

I think a tucson a rated pump in pjmatthews are about 95 euro. The pump valves either side of the pump are notorious for leaking after closing and reopening.Having said that the pump valves dont look that old,so there is a good chance they wont leak.
    If the pump valve leaks or even a slight drip,its a drain down of the system,new gate type pump valves,new pump, refill system and bleed all rads etc
    I wouldnt be messing fiddling with the pump connection with power going through it.if water has got into the control box,my view its a new pump

Much appreciated, thank you. We’ll keep fingers crossed that they won’t leak, tho knowing the luck we’ve had with this boiler in a relatively short period..... it’ll have to be sorted in any case.

Thanks again

Ya, once I heard the burning crackling wire sound I turned off power to boiler. Next person to fiddle with it will be a plumber! Hopefully get it sorted in next few days.

• Advertisement

Toodles_27 wrote: »
    Much appreciated, thank you. We’ll keep fingers crossed that they won’t leak, tho knowing the luck we’ve had with this boiler in a relatively short period..... it’ll have to be sorted in any case.

Thanks again
    I dont think it quite down to luck,more down to percentages.There should really have been gate type valves fitted when the tucson A rated pump was fitted

Also,When power was turned on,the burner should have started or else the top of the boiler should be hot.If not the hi-limit stat may have tripped.The hi-limit stat may trip when pump fails to operate[ [safety device]

agusta wrote: »
    I dont think it quite down to luck,more down to percentages.There should really have been gate type valves fitted when the tucson A rated pump was fitted

Also,When power was turned on,the burner should have started or else the top of the boiler should be hot.If not the hi-limit stat may have tripped.

Ya, boiler was hot - very hot - just not firing. Didn’t realise it wasn’t working for about 30mins until I passed one of the rads and it was cold.

I’ll get pump in Matthews in the morning and attempt to locate a plumber.

Advertisement