Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving job without being paid ?

Options
  • 19-09-2018 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi last weekend I started my job as a kitchen assistant I worked over 16 h in 2 days and then the chef fired me. And he said that he would pay my payment today but he didn’t it yet and also I call him didn’t answer and text a message about this issue he read it but ignored it. What should I do I I haven’t been paid ? Btw I didn’t have an opportunity to give my pps number because he just demand me work immediately?

Thank you
    Edit: today I went to the restaurant and talk to chef he was really stressed when he saw me. I didn’t say any bad word just said how many hour I worked there he calculated it and paid it finally. I thinking if I didn’t go to collect it he would probably postpone it again

Thanks for all of the comments

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Walk back into the kitchen and confront this chef.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

It should be the manager or owner that pays you. A chef is an employee just like you.

Talk to the manager.

Chef could also be manager lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Hi last weekend I started my job as a kitchen assistant I worked over 16 h in 2 days and then the chef fired me. And he said that he would pay my payment today but he didn’t it yet and also I call him didn’t answer and text a message about this issue he read it but ignored it. What should I do I I haven’t been paid ? Btw I didn’t have an opportunity to give my pps number because he just demand me work immediately?

Thank you
    He might not be ignoring you. He might just be very busy right now or dealing with an emergency. Did you work hard for the 16 hours? Did you break anything? Were you messing? If yes, to any of the above, maybe he thinks you do not deserve to be paid. Legally of course, you are entitled to your pay but the fact that he fired you suggests he was not happy with your work.

What do you think yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ironcarbonom

He might not be ignoring you. He might just be very busy right now or dealing with an emergency. Did you work hard for the 16 hours? Did you break anything? Were you messing? If yes, to any of the above, maybe he thinks you do not deserve to be paid. Legally of course, you are entitled to your pay but the fact that he fired you suggests he was not happy with your work.

What do you think yourself?

I worked hard without any break time for about 8 hours and I didn’t do any wrong things :) I don’t exaggerate it. When we talked last time before fired me. he just said the manager don’t want to employ any staff he just apologized me that’s it. Btw the problem is he didn’t say anything and I can’t prove anything if he decide not to pay it .

• Advertisement

A youth today working hard for eight hours, leave it off. Eight minutes more like before you went on your phone, smoke break or stand around with arms folded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

why should he leave it off?
    whats to stop chef getting in another person for another 2 days and not paying them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Just drop into the restaurant and ask them what's happening with your wages.

I used to do credit control, and showing up at someone's office looking for a cheque is super effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Jimmy. wrote: »
    A youth today working hard for eight hours, leave it off. Eight minutes more like before you went on your phone, smoke break or stand around with arms folded.
    That's very unpleasant and has no basis in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

I worked hard without any break time for about 8 hours and I didn’t do any wrong things :) I don’t exaggerate it. When we talked last time before fired me. he just said the manager don’t want to employ any staff he just apologized me that’s it. Btw the problem is he didn’t say anything and I can’t prove anything if he decide not to pay it .

I would not worry about proof at this stage. Even if you were not supposed to be working in Ireland, don`t worry because if you did the work, you should be entitled to your pay. It is possible that he is employing people without work papers for short periods and then refusing to pay them. These guys might be able to advise you: https://www.mrci.ie/our-work/information-advice/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Diziet wrote: »
    That's very unpleasant and has no basis in fact.

Think he was making a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Book a table for two at the restaurant, order the most expensive meal on the menu,
    Have a nice bottle of bubbly,
    When bill arrives, tell them to deduct it from your wages!
    Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

Jimmy. wrote: »

Some assumptions, and you were there to witness this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ironcarbonom

Book a table for two at the restaurant, order the most expensive meal on the menu,
    Have a nice bottle of bubbly,
    When bill arrives, tell them to deduct it from your wages!
    Sorted.

LMAO Thanks for your advise

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Same thing happened to me after being Pr!cked around for a month didnt near get fully paid chef said basically the same line(he was most definitely not the manager) , i shoulda known better after telling people about it turns out its happened to a few others too. I just sucked it up was a learning experience:pac:

Advertisement