Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Firearms liscence.

• 20-09-2018 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I’m trying to get a get a air rifle since the joule limit is 1joule and isn’t strong enough for hunting. The only place I can find air rifles are online but they need to be shipped. How do I get a liscence for firearm that needs imported?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Follow the sticky at the top of the main page for firearms application - source the firearm, secure the firearm with deposit and get the relevant info from the dealer - make model, calibre and serial number. Secure either land permission or range membership, be prepared to do a competency course, fill out the firearms application form, put in your application and wait for your licence to be issued.
    Apply to the DOJ for an import licence (free), once you have that arrange for the firearm to be shipped over, this may require the use of a firearms dealer here to receive it here.

I'm not up on air rifles but if your looking at something that can be bought cheaply in mainland Europe I think your putting yourself through a lot of bother and expense for very little returns when you factor in shipping costs and handling charges some RFD may charge. You get one here with less hassle..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Have you looked in gun dealers over here? Most of them will have an air rifle or 2 in stock.

Where are you based?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

6Shay wrote: »
    I’m trying to get a get a air rifle since the joule limit is 1joule and isn’t strong enough for hunting.

The 1 joule limit applies to airsoft toys. IOW it must be under 1 joule for it to be an airsoft, therefore a toy, and hence no license needed.

Every gun shop carries a supply of air rifles that are well in excess of this limit and hence firearms. They are more than capable of being used for hunting albeit with the same or a lower limit than a 22 lr.

Here are just a few links to gun shops with air rifles in stock
    Now if you actually want an airsoft to use for hunting then i'd suggest, don't. They fire 4.5mm or so plastic BBs. Some can be steel or other form of metal, but the rounded nature of the projectile means it's either ineffective or no where near as effective as a hunting round for the humane dispatch of quarry.

There is also the issue of ammo. I have never heard of an airsoft being licensed but if one were to be i'd imagine the Super or even Chief Super would have a few questions when you put the mag size down as being able to hold 100, 500, etc. Not to mention the full auto ability of some airsoft.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2 6Shay

Cass wrote: »
    The 1 joule limit applies to airsoft toys. IOW it must be under 1 joule for it to be an airsoft, therefore a toy, and hence no license needed.

Every gun shop carries a supply of air rifles that are well in excess of this limit and hence firearms. They are more than capable of being used for hunting albeit with the same or a lower limit than a 22 lr.

Now if you actually want an airsoft to use for hunting then i'd suggest, don't. They fire 4.5mm or so plastic BBs. Some can be steel or other form of metal, but the rounded nature of the projectile means it's either ineffective or no where near as effective as a hunting round for the humane dispatch of quarry.

There is also the issue of ammo. I have never heard of an airsoft being licensed but if one were to be i'd imagine the Super or even Chief Super would have a few questions when you put the mag size down as being able to hold 100, 500, etc. Not to mention the full auto ability of some airsoft.

Thanks for the replies

I found a gamo shadow 1000 on McBrides. Around 24joules.

Do you know how/where I can hunt vermin?

Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Before you rush out and part with money you need to get all your vermin (or so to speak) in a row.

Have you previous hunting / fire arms experince? Do you know someone who hunts etc?

You'll need permission in writing from a land owner giving you permission to hunt on their land, the only way to do this if your not all ready associated with hunters is to get out and knock on farmers doors.
    Lads here will tell you to join a game club, but this is not as simple as it seems, nor as quick.
    Otherwise there are no areas of wilderness that you can hunt in here in Ireland.

You will only be granted a firearm licence if you have a valid reason such as hunting or target shooting. Hunting requires land permission and target shooting requires membership of a suitable target range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I started off with an air rifle last year and I needed a gun safe and had to do a safety and competency course and pass the test too before I could get the licence.

I got the safe on ebay for 100 pounds delivered and the course cost 30 or 35 euro which was great value as we got fed and were brought clay pigeon shooting too. The course was run by NARGC.

I bought the BSA Meteor .22 from a member here and it is a great rifle which was looked after very well, I'll sell it to you handy if you are interested and throw in some pellets and a reset target to get you started off.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Advertisement