Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB outage affects local server

• 20-09-2018 7:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

I had a brief BB outage yesterday and found my local server @127.0.0.1 was inaccessible.
    I would have thought the internal network would have been unaffected by a lack of internet.
    Is this a setting I can adjust or is this how it works?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

localhost is a response server to a active networking connection, its part of the OS stack. If you lost power and had no active network connections, then the networking stack is no longer active so local host will no longer reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 theBOFH

localhost is a response server to a active networking connection, its part of the OS stack. If you lost power and had no active network connections, then the networking stack is no longer active so local host will no longer reply.

Not sure if that is true. The loopback interface is a special reserved address which gets special treatment and skips the data/physical layers i.e. does not use the physical hardware at all.

More info on page 42 here
    http://www.cs.newpaltz.edu/~pletcha/NET_PY/the-protocols-tcp-ip-illustrated-volume-1.9780201633467.24290.pdf

If just the broadband connection was out the interfaces should have remained up, wired or wireless as the connection to the router would be still good. ( assuming it was just broadband and wasn’t a power failure )

In terms of the original question, more info on what the server was running would be needed, I.e was the local server just serving up content being pulled directly from the internet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

theBOFH wrote: »
    Not sure if that is true. The loopback interface is a special reserved address which gets special treatment and skips the data/physical layers i.e. does not use the physical hardware at all.

More info on page 42 here
    http://www.cs.newpaltz.edu/~pletcha/NET_PY/the-protocols-tcp-ip-illustrated-volume-1.9780201633467.24290.pdf

If just the broadband connection was out the interfaces should have remained up, wired or wireless as the connection to the router would be still good. ( assuming it was just broadband and wasn’t a power failure )

In terms of the original question, more info on what the server was running would be needed, I.e was the local server just serving up content being pulled directly from the internet?

I specifically said, if power was lost, then the loopback address would drop on most laptops. No point in running a network stack with no network. Wastes battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

theBOFH wrote: »
    No power failure, just the BB outage.
    My server was running local data, not internet dependent. Even if it was I should have got something rendered to the browser, page text...?
    This is where I thought that 127.0.0.1 was only dependant on the internal network.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

You dont happen to be running Windows 10 and have installed the lastest updates 20/09 ?
    I help support a program which is having issues connecting to 127.0.0.1 since the updates. The dev also is troubleshooting this so far we confirmed our issue is directly connected to this update, we rolled back and reupdated to replicate serveral times (also other users comfirmed). It seems the firewall blocks our progam even when disabled :eek: .

I'm not a dev so my own knowledge is limited but it wont even open in browers it acts as if a proxy is set, however Charles working fine and off when we try.

I'll report back if find anything that may help for now we just rolled back, I cant see anything atm on reddit let us know if u rollback and your's works again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

I specifically said, if power was lost, then the loopback address would drop on most laptops. No point in running a network stack with no network. Wastes battery.

It doesn't drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Loopback will work even if there's no networking hardware installed in the machine, in any modern OS at least.

OP is there a log on the application you lost access to? Could it have crashed/shutdown and restarted later?

Are you sure broadband was down or maybe your entire networking stack was having a moment? Did you check on another machine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

TheChizler wrote: »
    Are you sure broadband was down or maybe your entire networking stack was having a moment? Did you check on another machine?

I am doing simple web development at the moment.
    Just using localhost to render out simple pages.
    My BB was down, my mobile connected to data instead of wifi. My router said no internet connection.
    I just need to know if I'm missing some setting that will allow me to continue to use localhost if the external connection to the router is down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

MargeS wrote: »
    I just need to know if I'm missing some setting that will allow me to continue to use localhost if the external connection to the router is down.
    There's nothing I can think of that would cause that behaviour. If you plug out your router's WAN connection can you repeat the problem? Is it just that it won't open in your browser? If it happens again can you ping localhost from a command line?

Are you using 3rd party plugins like Angular? They won't work offline without keeping a local copy.

Advertisement