Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Begging in the city

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

My girlfriends rent is 250 a month. City centre on-suite double room. She works part time

My own is 300 + bills, I work part time.

You are talking through your hole.

Is she sharing? Because if she is I think you and him aren't talking about the same thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Arrival wrote:
    Is she sharing? Because if she is I think you and him aren't talking about the same thing

Yes, I was talking about the cost of finding a home of one's own rather than a sharing arrangement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Why does it matter if you are sharing? So living on the streets is better than sharing a flat?? would you ever!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Mr.H wrote: »
    Why does it matter if you are sharing? So living on the streets is better than sharing a flat?? would you ever!!

??? Lmao at such a stupid, random ad hominem. Like I'm actually concerned that an adult could veer off into such a retarded conclusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Mr.H wrote:

If I am a homeless addict I will neither have the means or network of contacts to enable me to share a home with "regular" members of society. I will be dependant on housing agencies to provide me with what is known as sheltered housing where I will be living with others who have similar problems - not an ideal situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Most ordinary people do not have the experience or knowledge to know what matters when handing out money to complete strangers in the street when asked in an unexpected way.

For this reason planned giving to a society or charity staffed by qualified social workers and support staff is the best option.

As referenced here in this thread there are many groups who prey on the kindheartedness of many people but these people are not experienced and qualified social workers who can tell if the money received is going to be used in a wise and life enhancing way.

Many ethnic groupings take this form of begging as a career choice and make a good living out of it to the detriment for many people of being able to enjoy a relaxed carefree day in the city.

Dublin is losing out big time due to the presence of many aggressive and unsavoury characters looking for money on the streets. Cities like Galway also have their chancers.

Best to give money to the registered charities who are best placed to judge and allot funds in an organised and controlled way and be in a position to get rid of the chancers off our streets once and for all.

Worst are the chancers who lurk around the cash machines and ticket machines for the LUAS. These need to be got rid of as a matter of National urgency because when people are travelling in strange surroundings is when they are most vulnerable.

You get this happening all over the world at train stations and the like but the police presence in most sensible countries is much more prominent. It seems to be very low key or non-existent in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

claregal1 wrote: »
    I agree , there is one guy who sits beside Penney's with his dog and whilst he can get a bed in one of the homeless hostel by night , he doesn't want to leave his dog ....and how I know this is cos I've stopped to give him some food in the winter and chatted with him .. very sad situation to be in

So he took on the responsibility of dog ownership despite having no capacity to fulfill it, and moreover to the detriment of his own accommodation arrangement?

I can only imagine this all makes perfect sense inside your head and his head.

Call me a bollocks, but it doesn't in mine. Homelessness has become a meaningless media buzzword in this country. I have become desensitised to the very word, thanks to all the wolf-crying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Atrocious strawman argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

topper75 wrote: »
    So he took on the responsibility of dog ownership despite having no capacity to fulfill it, and moreover to the detriment of his own accommodation arrangement?

Call me a bollocks, but it doesn't in mine. Homelessness has become a meaningless media buzzword in this country. I have become desensitised to the very word, thanks to all the wolf-crying.

The dog is also a means to get a few more bob from easy targets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

In fairness to that guy, it was his friend's dog and he took on the dog after his friend died suddenly.
    I've never seen him ever actually ask or beg for anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Would it not be more honest for both parties if we bought them a can of beer or shoulder of whiskey and handed it to them. Let’s break the illusion that spare change given to the homeless is going on anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭MFPM

So it's all made up is it? Thousands in emergency accommodation for the laugh? Might I suggest that for one to be desensitised one has to have some sensitivity in the first place, there's little evidence that you were ever troubled buy that issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

KevinCavan wrote: »
    Would it not be more honest for both parties if we bought them a can of beer or shoulder of whiskey and handed it to them. Let’s break the illusion that spare change given to the homeless is going on anything else.

Heroin and other class A drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭MFPM

Well your faux outrage suggests that you seem to disagree with me. If you disagree with me it means something I said is incorrect.

I may seem to have over simplified how people can fix their issues but guess what, it actually is that easy. Some people dont want help and prefer to play the victim.

parasite
    noun
    plural noun: parasites
    an organism which lives in or on another organism (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the other's expense.

Yea I think the word is apt. Now, do I understand why you think its a bit mean? Yes I do. I will refrain from using it from here on in if that makes you feel a little less agro.

So what is your solution? keep giving them money? keep funding organised crime? keep encouraging the forcing of others to beg?

By the way it is nowhere near a small percentage. Look at Waterford and Cork as examples of organised begging being targeted by Gardai.

Again giving them money does not "save them"

When this gets worse it will be a beggar

Not just you. Thats nuts. Why would I hold you responsible for the vast amount of do gooders who encourage this behaviour? Your part of the issue but not teh issue.

I know of your presence because you seem to have absolutely no idea of how bad the issue is and it seems no idea that EVERYONE is entitled to 196 euro every single week!!!!! Nobody needs to beg and it should be illegal
    I may seem to have over simplified how people can fix their issues but guess what, it actually is that easy.

The evidence would suggest otherwise.
    Some people dont want help and prefer to play the victim.

That may indeed be true - I'm not sure upon what evidence your basing your analysis but frankly but so what - how does this help us deal with the very real problems of homelessness and the housing crisis?
    parasite
    noun
    plural noun: parasites
    an organism which lives in or on another organism (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the other's expense.

Yea I think the word is apt.

That probably tell us more about you than any of the people you're including in that category. Tell me when you're discussing those who avail of corporate welfare do you call them parasites too?
    So what is your solution? keep giving them money?

That's a personal choice - the issue in this thread is the disgusting generalised comments aimed at homeless people with no real or factual knowledge as to why many maybe in that situation. Is it a solution, no but who suggested it was?
    keep funding organised crime?

That's a dishonest straw man argument - organised crime is far more funded and dependent on people who live in houses and apartments the length and breadth of the country, perhaps start your moralising there.
    keep encouraging the forcing of others to beg?

Another straw-man, it's a different matter and needs to be tackled at source.
    Again giving them money does not "save them"

No one suggest it does - why do you keep making non arguments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

MFPM wrote: »
    So it's all made up is it? Thousands in emergency accommodation for the laugh? Might I suggest that for one to be desensitised one has to have some sensitivity in the first place, there's little evidence that you were ever troubled buy that issue.

So it is all bona fide is it?
    All the thousands are genuine cases? Beyond any scrutiny because click-hungry article writers and left wing cranks say so?

I'm not pleading anything here so there is no burden of proof on me.
    I'm the one questioning the claims.
    I'm entitled to ask am I not? After all - it is from me that they beg as I walk by.

Sensitivity should never extend to gullibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

In fairness to that guy, it was his friend's dog and he took on the dog after his friend died suddenly.
    I've never seen him ever actually ask or beg for anything.

It doesn’t matter how he came by the dog. But it’s not much of an existence for the mutt either out on the streets in all weathers.
    He wasn’t in a position to take on the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

splinter65 wrote: »
    It doesn’t matter how he came by the dog. But it’s not much of an existence for the mutt either out on the streets in all weathers.
    He wasn’t in a position to take on the dog.

He probably wasn't, but realistically the alternative was that the dog would probably have just been left there to die because nobody else would have taken it on.

Advertisement