Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corsair One Pro M.2 Alternative

Options
  • 20-09-2018 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭

Been trying to buy a Corsair one for a few weeks now and it appears despite sites showing its in stock there is a 2 to 3 month delay on shipping and I need something in the next couple of weeks. Are there any similar pre assembled high end PC's out there? I looked at MSI but theirs are a little over board in the styling. I may consider building my own again, budget is between €2k / €2.5k for just a PC, I have monitors etc

Use case:
    I need a multi monitor setup to run multiple apps and games, its needs to be quiet, very responsive and looks fairly business like as I do host clients in my home office:
    1 - 4k Gsync monitor that mainly runs games in windowed mode. Games are World of Tanks, war Thunder and the odd farm sim & football manager.
    2- 1080p monitor that runs mostly day trading stock management software
    3- 1080p monitor that runs additional windows for day trading or netflix/ prime video when not working

My current system is a corsair 250d mini itx that has served well with a upgraded GPU that I built with the help of here but now showing signs of CPU and RAM bottlenecks now I am running at 4k. I was considering a building a PC with SLI 1070's to make use of my card.
    i5 3340
    Asrock H77m
    8gb DDR3
    GTX 1070 sc2 EVGA
    500gb Samsung 860evo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor (£289.99 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U12S SE-AM4 CPU Cooler (£53.31 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard (£119.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£130.80 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC2 Gaming iCX Video Card (Purchased For £0.00)
    Case: be quiet! - Pure Base 600 (Black/Silver) ATX Mid Tower Case (£69.59 @ Aria PC)
    Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£92.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Total: £756.14
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-20 14:56 BST+0100

If you want quiet & business-like, go big IMHO

SLI 1070 won't work in your games, and you should be seeing 4K 60fps with a single GTX 1070 anyway (in War Thunder/World of Tanks).

If you really want more GPU grunt, avail of EVGA's bundles and get a 1070 Ti / 1080 + PSU, and sell the current GTX 1070.

*edit* Since you've the budget, consider upgrading to 2x16Gb RAM, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Thanks for the list! Never thought to look at Ryzen, looks good value. Just one issue with the MB is that there is no USB C and I have some kit for the MacBook so that would be useful. Do you know a similar board with that onboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

krissovo wrote: »
    Thanks for the list! Never thought to look at Ryzen, looks good value. Just one issue with the MB is that there is no USB C and I have some kit for the MacBook so that would be useful. Do you know a similar board with that onboard?

Step up to MSI X470 GAMING PRO CARBON ; meant to add that to start but it wasn't showing up on PCpartpicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You could also just up the CPU to a 2nd hand i7-3770 (still a great CPU) and bump up to 16GB for fairly small money and get a GTX1080Ti.

But to be honest at 4k60, I don't think even that i5 would be a bottleneck in those games at all, nor would DDR3, though the i5 would hurt in few of the latest AAA multiplayer/open world titles.

Of course if you want a new PC that's understandable with all the new features/options/etc, but I wouldn't realistically be expecting any real improvements in those games you've listed at all - unless that monitor is 144hz, obviously then instead of 80-100 you should be able to get 144fps. (I don't know World of Tanks very well, so not sure at what settings a GTX1070 can hit 4K 144fps).

If that monitor is 4k 144hz, I'd consider selling that PC as a whole unit and using your budget to build an all new machien built around something like an 8700K and a GTX1080Ti.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Appreciate the feedback.

Individually (and surprisingly to me) I can run the games fine even battlefield 1 at a decent FPS, my challenge is when I have the 3 monitors up and my trading application open plus quite a lot of chrome tabs open while watching netflix. For example in WOT I start the game on average 10 seconds later than other players as the loading takes an age to complete with everything open that I need.

The i7 3770 could be plan, even if to give to my daughter :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement