Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent or non permanent hair dye

Options
  • 20-09-2018 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭

I am in my mid thirties and have been going grey for the past 7 or 8 years. I have always used permanent dye (moreso out of habit from when I used mad colours years ago). I have dark hair and due to regrowth around my temples, I have to dye my hair every 4 weeks or so. I am just wondering would it be better for my hair to use non permanent dye as I have to dye it so frequently. Would it make much of a difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I prefer and always use non-permanent, as it does not leave a regrowth.
    I also always pick shades lighter than my own, so the died greys look like highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

Ideally, you should do the regrow with permanent colour and the refresh the rest with a demi or semi-permanent colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

otnomart wrote: »
    I prefer and always use non-permanent, as it does not leave a regrowth.

I don't get what you mean by this? Surely the hair that grows out is always going to be a different colour, unless you allow the dye to fade completely between treatments?

I don't get what you mean by this? Surely the hair that grows out is always going to be a different colour, unless you allow the dye to fade completely between treatments?
    The dye I use only lasts a couple of shampoos

I do not see a regrowth at all,

the grey hairs just go back to grey if I do not use the dye again.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,620 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

otnomart wrote: »
    The dye I use only lasts a couple of shampoos
    I do not see a regrowth at all,
    the grey hairs just go back to grey if I do not use the dye again.

Do you use a retail product or salon only?

Clairol used to have a peroxide and ammonia free temporary dye in the nice and easy range that only lasted a few shampoos but it's been discontinued :(

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

I use: Superdrug Colour Effects (don't know if they sell it in Ireland).
    When I lived in Ireland, I used to get at Boots a Schwarzkopf semi-permanent that lasted 8 shampoos.

Advertisement