Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying flights in pounds

Options
  • 20-09-2018 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here every buy flights in pounds. I have a flight for EUR 345,87. If I convert it to pounds and back to euros nearly a 100 euro in the difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Where are you getting the FX (EUR <-> GBP) rates? If you used interbank, the Euro number will be the same because there will be only one rate but if you're using retail bank or bureaux du change buy & sell rates, there will be a difference when you convert one way and then back again because they make their profit on the gap between interbank and the FX rates they use for consumer transactions.

To answer your question, you will need a sterling credit card to pay in sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

coylemj wrote: »
    Where are you getting the FX (EUR <-> GBP) rates? If you used interbank, the Euro number will be the same because there will be only one rate but if you're using retail bank or bureaux du change buy & sell rates, there will be a difference when you convert one way and then back again because they make their profit on the gap between interbank and the FX rates they use for consumer transactions.

To answer your question, you will need a sterling credit card to pay in sterling.
    there is a choice of paying in a different currency. Was using xe currency converter

cena wrote: »
    there is a choice of paying in a different currency. Was using xe currency converter

I put EUR 345.67 into XE and it says that is the equivalent of GBP 307.00 If I manually input 307 into the GBP box, it converts it to EUR 345.67

After converting to sterling, what did you do next which caused you to lose EUR 100?

I put EUR 345.67 into XE and it says that is the equivalent of GBP 307.00 If I manually input 307 into the GBP box, it converts it to EUR 345.67

After converting to sterling, what did you do next which caused you to lose EUR 100?

If I selected pounds on the airline site it was cheaper

Hi xe change and convert to euro

• Advertisement

Use xe currencies converter and convert to euro

Use xe currencies converter and convert to euro

If I selected pounds on the airline site it was cheaper

OK, I get you. In your first post, you said that you 'converted' it to pounds, what you actually did was that you priced the same flight(s) in pounds. And then converted to euros. And the sterling price (converted to euros) was EUR 100 less.

There's nothing unusual about that. Airfares at a given time of the year are based on multiple factors...... principally competition on the route, the availability of practical alternatives (different routes to the same destination) and how much the locals are prepared to pay. Everything costs more here so it's not a surprise that the euro fare is higher.

OK, I get you. In your first post, you said that you 'converted' it to pounds, what you actually did was that you priced the same flight(s) in pounds. And then converted to euros. And the sterling price (converted to euros) was EUR 100 less.

There's nothing unusual about that. Airfares at a given time of the year are based on multiple factors...... principally competition on the route, the availability of practical alternatives (different routes to the same destination) and how much the locals are prepared to pay. Everything costs more here so it's not a surprise that the euro fare is higher.

Would it be a great idea to pay this way

Would it be a great idea to pay this way

Yes but they will be able to tell which bank issued your credit card based on the first 6 digits and they may refuse payment in sterling from an Irish credit card.

Otherwise I'd say go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

Can you pay with PayPal ?

Advertisement