Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testing a HDMI cable

Options
  • 20-09-2018 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

We got a company to run a HDMI cable under the desks and up to the wall where the TV is. Now we are finding that we are having issue with the signal dropping.

A representative from the company came out to site a few times, and every time he tries it, it works. But it has been causing trouble for everybody else. Is there anywhere in Dublin West that I could get a HDMI tester. I need the full proper tester, not just the LED continuity tester.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

How long is the run? HDMI is designed for short distances.

Some outputs may be better suited to drive the unusual cable. Try it with another source if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

What's the feed to the TV? If it's a laptop running a PPT pressie, try running it off the mains and see if it improves the signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Another company has run a cable underground in the board room so that the people just connect to the TV from the floor box. We think that it is an issue with this underground. So I need to test this cable before we can call the guy back out to redo it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What standard are you testing to? That cable is very very unlikely to be certified. It may claim to be but over 40ft chances are it just isnt.

If you want to pass the HDMI 1.2 spec and the run is more than 12m then you need to split it half way and put an amp in. Forget testing as anything other than an blinking light one you mention is going to be more expensive than the job of installing a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I agree, sounds just like it's too long and that's why you're getting interruptions. You can get a self powered joiner for fairly small money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement