Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cork house to be demolished

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Thats insane.

Why does the government bend over backwards to indulge every whim of the traveling community.

They dont own the house so why in the world would they have any say in what happens to the house.

There are plenty of families in need of a good home and they are just going to knock down this one because "its their culture".

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

I'd say CorkCC are doing it because a controlled demolition is better than an uncontrolled fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

As said above, the council may as well go first and demolish it before it gets burned down.

shar01 wrote: »
    I'd say CorkCC are doing it because a controlled demolition is better than an uncontrolled fire.

They are bending to the whim of the traveler community or submitting to intimidation.

Tell the family to **** off and they should have bought and lived in their own caravan if they wanted to burn it afterwards.

If it magically catches fire then they know exactly where to look. A few high definition security cameras around this house and its streets would be a much better spend of tax payers money then knocking down and rebuilding of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Sorry, but I personally wouldn’t live in a house where somebody died by such violent means. I’ve no issues with somebody dying a normal death but being stabbed to death....no way!!!

• Advertisement

Sundew wrote: »
    Sorry, but I personally wouldn’t live in a house where somebody died by such violent means. I’ve no issues with somebody dying a normal death but being stabbed to death....no way!!!

What difference does it make?
    Unless you believe in ghosts then its not a rational reason not to live somewhere. And if you do believe in ghosts then you need your head examined.

The chances are they many people have died on the very spot where your current home is now, whether it be starvation, disease, war, murder or old age.

Id rather they waste 50 years of private security money watching the house to prevent burning rather than to bend to the families superstitions.

What difference does it make?
    Unless you believe in ghosts then its not a rational reason not to live somewhere. And if you do believe in ghosts then you need your head examined.

The chances are they many people have died on the very spot where your current home is now, whether it be starvation, disease, war, murder or old age.

Don’t believe in ghosts, but I’m just saying I think a lot of people would be very uncomfortable, even staying overnight in a room, where 3 people were bludgeoned to death. Maybe I’m more sensitive then you ;-)

I guess if you live in London chances are you ain’t too far from a building where somebody died a violent death! As for me well a few Bronze Age guys were probably the only fellas near my house that possibly died a violent death!

Don’t believe in ghosts, but I’m just saying I think a lot of people would be very uncomfortable, even staying overnight in a room, where 3 people were bludgeoned to death. Maybe I’m more sensitive then you ;-)

I guess if you live in London chances are you ain’t too far from a building where somebody died a violent death! As for me well a few Bronze Age guys were probably the only fellas near my house that possibly died a violent death!

What is it about the house that makes you uncomfortable?
    Its location? What if they moved the house exactly as is but a few miles away. Still an problem?
    The floor where they were killed on? If you replace the floor is it still an issue?
    If you replaced one bit of the house every day, how long before the house no longer makes you uncomfortable?

Anyway uncomfortable or not, the council shouldnt spend money knocking and rebuilding.

If the travelers burn it down then the house will be insured and let the insurance pay for the rebuild, not the tax payer. I fact thats probably the most desirable situation. Free house + possibility to put someone in jail who deserves to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

There’s a funeral home just down from the Crumlin children’s hospital, which has been converted in flats. And when I say converted, I mean internal walls put up and bathrooms installed. No other real changes. Imagine the amount of ghosts you’d see in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,549 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm just trying to think back to this case.
    From what I remember the boys mother is living in a caravan in the back garden.(She was in the past).
    Also from what I remember about the area they are several bungalow on the N20 some of them would be council houses and others may have being bought by them over the years. These house travellers.
    It would be very hard for them to house another traveller family in one of these houses due to them being so superstitious.(I wonder would this be in there minority status?)
    There option then would be to move the woman in question to another house and fill this one with a settled family but I believe they'd find it difficult to house somebody in this house for multiple reasons.

There’s a funeral home just down from the Crumlin children’s hospital, which has been converted in flats. And when I say converted, I mean internal walls put up and bathrooms installed. No other real changes. Imagine the amount of ghosts you’d see in there.

Have no issue with flats on the site of a funeral home/ morgue. Folks were only resting there. I already stated that I had no issue with living/ staying in a house where somebody died of natural causes ( my own Nan died in her own home). I think many folks even some boardsies,would not be comfortable sleeping/ riding/ whatever else ya do in the privacy of your own home without their chi being upset. If it doesn’t bother ya well good for you......ya might just get a good house at a knocked down price!

Wonder has this house been knocked down!
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/knock-down-joe-oreilly-murder-house-and-build-again-victim-rachels-dad-31106751.html

It was sold a few years ago.
    They spruced up the garden and done it up, put in new windows, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

This isn't a "little whim" in fairness - the case was beyond horrific. The guard on the scene was so traumatised she had to take leave. The boys were stabbed over and over and over. I could understand anyone not wanting to move in there, even if it's not rational. I can certainly understand the family no longer being able to live there.

As for the family wanting the property to be destroyed, I would cut them some slack. I have no reservations about being critical of the negative sides to traveller culture but this should be set aside considering what they have suffered. I remember that poor woman (whose little sons had just been stabbed to death by her other son, who then killed himself - I don't think people are fully grasping what happened) being interviewed and she seemed like a lovely, decent person.

This is superstition and trauma talking. While I wouldn't agree with the council just demolishing the house because they were asked to, I've no doubt it's a decision not taken lightly or made quickly. The decision has not even been made for definite in fairness.

Dont knock it down.
    Sell it to me at a massive discount. Ill take it no problem.

Dont knock it down.
    Sell it to me at a massive discount. Ill take it no problem.

To the best of knowledge they are several traveller houses in a row here.
    I know people and they'd feel uncomfortable about this.
    They might also be a stigma against you for buying a cursed house.

To the best of knowledge they are several traveller houses in a row here.
    I know people and they'd feel uncomfortable about this.
    They might also be a stigma against you for buying a cursed house.

For a big discount id be ok with stigma and neighbors.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

they'd come in leaving weird Mary statues on the doorstep and laying flowers and other crap to intimidate you out.

also the potential for a 'random' fire and every valuable metal stripped.

the reality of it is that house isn't staying up and liveable one way or another.

But yes, giving into this lot is a damn nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Sundew wrote:

You don't have to live there. But in the midst of a housing crisis there are purple who would be glad of a house and aren't superstitious, or just don't let themselves get affected by the history u of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Have no issue with flats on the site of a funeral home/ morgue. Folks were only resting there. I already stated that I had no issue with living/ staying in a house where somebody died of natural causes ( my own Nan died in her own home). I think many folks even some boardsies,would not be comfortable sleeping/ riding/ whatever else ya do in the privacy of your own home without their chi being upset. If it doesn’t bother ya well good for you......ya might just get a good house at a knocked down price!

Wonder has this house been knocked down!
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/knock-down-joe-oreilly-murder-house-and-build-again-victim-rachels-dad-31106751.html

No it hasn't. I was unwittingly interested in it. The estate agent mentioned there had been an incident there and he was obliged to tell me. Scratching my head wondering what it could be it dawned on me and I asked was someone murdered there. We were outside the place at the time when the For Sale sign was up. Googled it and my partner lost all interest in it. I wouldn't have minded living there but she was a stone cold no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Stigma = Curse

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

FFS. Given what freshpopcorn is saying knocking the house really does sound like the best option the council have but it's ****ing sickening to have to waste state money due to ignorant superstition.

I'd have no problem living in a "murder house", in fact, I'd be delighted to get the opportunity to buy something for such a steep discount. Although, judging from the property price register, there must have been a bidding war for it if the asking was 125k and it ended up going for 206k. Still 206k for .7 of an acre in North County Dublin? Nice deal.

https://propertypriceregisterireland.com/details/lambay_view_baldar_naul_co_dublin_ireland-162407/

they'd come in leaving weird Mary statues on the doorstep and laying flowers and other crap to intimidate you out.

also the potential for a 'random' fire and every valuable metal stripped.

the reality of it is that house isn't staying up and liveable one way or another.

But yes, giving into this lot is a damn nightmare.

It's not "this lot", it's the family of two young children stabbed to death only four years ago.

The lack of ****s given about what happened is quite remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's not "this lot", it's the family of two young children stabbed to death only four years ago.

The lack of ****s given about what happened is quite remarkable.

it's the family of two young children stabbed to death by one of their other children

Act like and raise animals and don't be surprised when people don't have sympathy for you.

Sleepy wrote: »
    it's the family of two young children stabbed to death by one of their other children

Act like and raise animals and don't be surprised when people don't have sympathy for you.

I think this is really disgusting. Whilst I’m not a big fan of the shenanigans of certain travellers these two young boys were stabbed by somebody who was severely mentally ill ( traveller or not!) . Anyhow this is going off topic but I will say I know of two cases where ordinary Joes were tragically killed by family members in similar cases to this. Both houses locked up and not lived in again! * They were not members of the traveling community.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If the travelers burn it down then the house will be insured and let the insurance pay for the rebuild, not the tax payer.

If this was privately owned, the insurance company would likely have cancelled their cover the day after the incident.

However I'm pretty sure that councils self-insure, so it would still be the taxpayer picking up the bill.

Travellers aren't the only culture with traditions like this.

:confused:

It's the family of two young children who were stabbed to death. How the hell does it matter who killed them?

He killed them because of mental illness and then he killed himself.

You don't know that this isn't a decent traveller family - by all accounts they are.

Absolutely sick post.

Travellers aren't the only culture with traditions like this.

I have no problems with the tradition. Its the fact that they dont own the house that they would like to destroy.

If they want to burn their own houses or caravans then ive no problems with that. But there is a big difference between burning a ****ty caravan only worth a few grand that they own and destroying a house worth a lot more that they dont own.

How about if it wasnt council owned. How about if it was a privately rented property. Its the fact that its council owned and its "government money" that makes you think its ok.

Its a horrible thing to happen to any family. But doesnt excuse this insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'd have no problem living in a "murder house", in fact, I'd be delighted to get the opportunity to buy something for such a steep discount. Although, judging from the property price register, there must have been a bidding war for it if the asking was 125k and it ended up going for 206k. Still 20k for .7 of an acre in North County Dublin? Nice deal.

https://propertypriceregisterireland.com/details/lambay_view_baldar_naul_co_dublin_ireland-162407/

I think they hadn't expected interest to be as high as it was. It initially appeared at €125,000 but after a lot of interest the price was put up. It was too cheap at its initial price as despite its history it's in a fantastic location with views of Dublin Bay in the distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Many that are commenting on this wouldn't dream in living in a house outside of Dublin. The house should be knocked. Ian Huntley house was also knocked and it was owned by the town.

Advertisement