Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cork house to be demolished

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sundew wrote: »
    Sorry, but I personally wouldn’t live in a house where somebody died by such violent means. I’ve no issues with somebody dying a normal death but being stabbed to death....no way!!!
    A cheap house is a cheap house. Although the only reason why I wouldn't buy a house that a traveller died in it is because their backwards culture demands that they burn it, and I'd be down a house.

How about they pay for it, and then they can burn it down, as the filth think they can go around burning stuff that they do not own.

Actually, can I claim my spirits are in their caravans, and torch them?
    As for the family wanting the property to be destroyed, I would cut them some slack.
    They want it demolished, and the same house built on top of it. The ghosts will still be there; it'll just be a newer house.

Or how about the house gets levelled, and boulders put around it so that no caravans can be parked there to mark where they died.
    It's not "this lot", it's the family of two young children stabbed to death only four years ago.

The lack of ****s given about what happened is quite remarkable.
    They're demanding that a new house gets built. They don't give two fcuks about the children; they just want another house. Any other apartment/house that I've seen them burn (often rented from a private landlord), they go away, and don't live there again. Here, they want to burn it, and they also want it replaced so that they can live there.

We have a fcukload of people homeless, and they want a house rebuilt for them.
    The lack of ****s given about what happened is quite remarkable.
    The lack of sh|t given is because they don't seem to burn their own houses. They burn houses owned by private landlords, claim it was their culture, and leave it for the landlord to pick up the tab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Where does it say they want a new house built on the site for them and where does it say anything about burning?

There's a lot of "they" talk - this is one family, not all the criminal elements of traveller culture. You're taking some leap by saying they don't give a **** about the boys. You're the one who doesn't give a **** about the boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

the_syco wrote: »
    A cheap house is a cheap house.

Syco: Here are a few houses you could have picked up for a song but I’d say it would be a brave boy who would have made an offer to buy one of these notorious houses!
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4037870/The-houses-horrors-sinister-properties-notorious-serial-killers-including-Yorkshire-Ripper-Fred-Rose-West-unleashed-heinous-crimes.html

This story has nothing to do with it being travellers involved! It is to do with the tragic circumstances surrounding the deaths!

Even the World Trade Centre was not rebuilt on the footprint of the original buildings after an outcry from family members and the general public!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Syco: Here are a few houses you could have picked up for a song but I’d say it would be a brave boy who would have made an offer to buy one of these notorious houses!
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4037870/The-houses-horrors-sinister-properties-notorious-serial-killers-including-Yorkshire-Ripper-Fred-Rose-West-unleashed-heinous-crimes.html

This story has nothing to do with it being travellers involved! It is to do with the tragic circumstances surrounding the deaths!

Even the World Trade Centre was not rebuilt on the footprint of the original buildings after an outcry from family members and the general public!

What a waste. Really is strange that people don't want to live in properties where bad things happen. The property has no relation to the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

If this was privately owned, the insurance company would likely have cancelled their cover the day after the incident.

However I'm pretty sure that councils self-insure, so it would still be the taxpayer picking up the bill.

Travellers aren't the only culture with traditions like this.
    It was tradition to have six year old kids clean chimneys in Victorian times and tradition to send unmarried mothers into Magdalenn laundries. So what? Times change and traditions are remembered but not maintained. If the travellers want to maintain the tradition of burning property where a death occurs let them provide their own accommodation instead of leeching off the taxpayer
    There are plenty of people who pay no heed to this superstitious old ****e who will take the house if offered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Looked through the list. Houses were either torn down, and left torn down, or the existing houses were renovated.

The travellers seem to want the house torn down, and rebuilt in the same place.

It'll be humorous if the travellers do decide to burn the house themselves, and a few of the other traveller houses go up in flames as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Edgware wrote: »
    There are plenty of people who pay no heed to this superstitious old ****e who will take the house if offered

Have you been to Charleville lately? Is there much of a housing list there, do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,549 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Have you been to Charleville lately? Is there much of a housing list there, do you know?

My take on the situation on North Cork is that it's no where near as bad as Dublin/etc.
    Most people find somewhere fast enough Lots of people in private housing esatses in rented houses waiting to be housed in council houses.

They are caravans parked outside houses in the odd place. One that was in the news in Fermoy from earlier in the Summer. When they tried to land a mobile home into a green area in an esate but the residents kicked up a fuss.
    They had a big sob story about being homeless and being evicted but it turned out they had a lot of issues in their previous rented houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

This isn't a "little whim" in fairness - the case was beyond horrific. The guard on the scene was so traumatised she had to take leave. The boys were stabbed over and over and over. I could understand anyone not wanting to move in there, even if it's not rational. I can certainly understand the family no longer being able to live there.

As for the family wanting the property to be destroyed, I would cut them some slack. I have no reservations about being critical of the negative sides to traveller culture but this should be set aside considering what they have suffered. I remember that poor woman (whose little sons had just been stabbed to death by her other son, who then killed himself - I don't think people are fully grasping what happened) being interviewed and she seemed like a lovely, decent person.

This is superstition and trauma talking. While I wouldn't agree with the council just demolishing the house because they were asked to, I've no doubt it's a decision not taken lightly or made quickly. The decision has not even been made for definite in fairness.

The tradition is to burn/destroy the home where the person died, not just because they were murdered. They'd be looking for the same thing if they'd had heart attacks.

Not a president that should be set.

As has been said, feel free to burn down a house you own ( assuming you don't then try to claim insurance ) But if you're renting then your tradition doesn't get preference.

What happens of its a terraced house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Let the family buy the house and knock it if that is their cultural / emotional need, but in the current housing shortage it should be replaced with those funds, in the same area by an equal house for a family without these superstitions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

I don't agree with the house being knocked down but I increasingly have to check if I'm in after hours for most threads.
    If I posted half the things said about travellers about any other group I can think of , I would be banned.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

folks, there are several posts in this thread that fall way below the standard expected in A & P. Raise the bar or don't post.

Advertisement