Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Repair

Options
  • 20-09-2018 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Where would i find a reputable and cheap place to get my gaming PC fixed?

When i'm starting it up, the fan whirs a bit and it just cuts out.

Based in Firhouse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Always worth checking if it just needs a good clean-out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

degsie wrote: »
    Always worth checking if it just needs a good clean-out.

Yeah, think that's the problem. Not a hundred percent sure how to do it. Basically just blast it with air?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Yeah, think that's the problem. Not a hundred percent sure how to do it. Basically just blast it with air?

Yeah, just take it outside and use a leaf blower or something equivalent. I wouldn't recommend a vacuum cleaner as you are more likely to knock off parts etc. Take the covers off and pay particular attention to fans and filters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Vacuum cleaners generate static as well, which can damage parts. If you dont have a leaf blower, get a can of compressed air and blow it through the fan blades, see if that makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Sounds like it could be a PSU problem, have you any friends who are good with PCs and you might be able to swap PSUs to see if yours works in his PC or vice versa.

The PSU is the black metal box at the bottom of the PC, where you plug the power cable.

• Advertisement

Sounds like it could be a PSU problem, have you any friends who are good with PCs and you might be able to swap PSUs to see if yours works in his PC or vice versa.

The PSU is the black metal box at the bottom of the PC, where you plug the power cable.

No, i'm afraid not. I might have a look at it and give it an auld jiggle. Might get it going. :eek:

Do you have any other issues bar the fan cutting out?

Any issues with the display cutting out or anything? Or is it purely one of your fans that's the issue?

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Do you have any other issues bar the fan cutting out?

Any issues with the display cutting out or anything? Or is it purely one of your fans that's the issue?

No, it was just that. I got it sorted myself. I opened it up, made sure all the connections were right inside and blasted it with air (like i saw a lad on youtube doing it). I literally had to blow cobwebs out from inside it. :eek::eek::eek:

It starts up fine now.

Good job. Glad to hear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Always worth asking in here before paying someone. Most of the time they just reinstall Windows anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement