Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JCT Wellbeing Day

• 20-09-2018 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭

What an absolute waste of a day! I feel bad for the facilitators but it was hopeless....a rehash of all the jargon & mantras we've heard before. Could have been done in half an hour. And they've completely overdone the 'group work', I think I've developed an aversion to it after today!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Icsics wrote: »
    What an absolute waste of a day! I feel bad for the facilitators but it was hopeless....a rehash of all the jargon & mantras we've heard before. Could have been done in half an hour. And they've completely overdone the 'group work', I think I've developed an aversion to it after today!

Have ours next week ... really looking forward to it!!!! I already did it in another school and I would have preferred to sit with my worst enemy for the day!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PureClareGold

Icsics wrote: »

Actually we all found it very beneficial in my school. Opened up our thinking as to how we can support our own students. Really interesting day and we enjoyed the opportunity to share with each other and to get a good chunk of time with our subject department colleagues discussing teaching and learning as opposed to just what we will put on the end of term exam. We'll done JCT I say.

Actually we all found it very beneficial in my school. Opened up our thinking as to how we can support our own students. Really interesting day and we enjoyed the opportunity to share with each other and to get a good chunk of time with our subject department colleagues discussing teaching and learning as opposed to just what we will put on the end of term exam. We'll done JCT I say.

There's always one! Glad you enjoyed that tripe!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

Those of us involved in wellbeing were hoping to get some ideas about what to do or how to structure it in the school.

More than just the adding up of hours to show how many need to be done. Some examples of what other schools are doing.

It really is so difficult to know if what we're doing is 'right' or effective or worthwhile.

But this wasn't discussed at all really. Only for a few minutes. Even a whole class discussion about what people feel wellbeing should be/involve in our school would have been worthwhile.

Quite frustrating and disappointing really. A missed opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

It was such utter nonsense. I am usually open minded to things like this and will go in positively, but this took the biscuit.

• Advertisement

It was such utter nonsense. I am usually open minded to things like this and will go in positively, but this took the biscuit.

I hope you used loads of poost-its!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Is this a school wide day? Is there a date that they're all rolled out by?

I have this kind of thing on the top of my dread list. I can almost smell the flip charts and post its from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

Is this a school wide day? Is there a date that they're all rolled out by?

I have this kind of thing on the top of my dread list. I can almost smell the flip charts and post its from here.

Yes, whole school, whole day....btw there's now an App to save the info from the postits....we had a demo!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Pure jargon fest

Typical question: " and which welbeing category do you think this belongs to?"
    Typical answers
    "A"..
    "B"
    "C"
    "How about all categories!"
    "Ya I suppose you could say that"
    Cue next stage.

Best part is they get to add the cost of the 4 facilitators to the tally of all they've invested in the new JC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭acequion

Yikes :eek: I'll be the first to admit that I'm not open minded to this stuff so I'll probably have to be tied to the chair.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I teach administer SPHE as well and as genuinely valuable as the course could be for students, there is way, way, way too much information overload (to put it euphemistically) for a course with a single class per week. SPHE is in danger of becoming like CSPE: a valuable subject which due to being only once a week becomes a filler subject for principals & teachers alike.

I dread the SPHE communications in our school as they merely fire buckets of stuff at us in the expectation we will do in-depth analysis into everything. In a school environment of reams of bullshít meetings and following up on all sorts of paperwork box-ticking nonsense which has zero to do with inspiring young lives, this subject is not going to get the justice it deserves. It gets lost, and this is thoroughly understandable.

We are all being pulled at from too many directions and consequently far from creating inspiring idiosyncratic teaching material with thoughtful, tailored IEPs for kids who need extra help, our priority is to tick all the boxes in preparation for the next inspection. Teaching quality is unquestionably declining in reality while we tick all those boxes which purport to confirm that quality is getting higher than ever. It is so predictable that this is the consequence of all this bureaucratic bullshít we are being smothered by. 100% predictable. They say they want world-class teachers, but making us world-class administrators is never going to get us there. Except on paper, which of course is all that matters to a Department of Education whose idea of reform in 2018 is to emulate the English system from about 1987 (on one of our recent buzzword in-services an English-educated colleague quipped that he was doing the proposed suggestion as a student then. Serious cringe from the rest of us.).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I can almost smell the flip charts and post its from here.

The more post-its you use the more the students learn. Figured that must be the case from our last inservice....

We've ours in a few weeks. I'll have the ipad loaded up with reading material for the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I finished off Pi

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I aint doing no group work. I will roll around and scream on the floor before you see me do it again.Its pathetic nonsense. Yes its fine for kids but insulting for adults

Yes my post is full of contradictions but one of the great advantages of not wanting promotion and being middle aged and not being afraid of my own shadow like many colleagues is that -I can safely tell the organisers of bull**** to fxxx off

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Studentblogger

We had our wellbeing day this week.

I won't call it CPD because it doesn't deserve to have the word 'professional' in the name. It was the greatest waste of time.

This attempt to forcibly mould wellbeing into every subject is flawed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Have ours next week ... really looking forward to it!!!! I already did it in another school and I would have preferred to sit with my worst enemy for the day!!!

We haven't had the pleasure yet. Please post a blow by blow account, with tongue firmly inserted in cheek, and dripping with irony :-)

judeboy101 wrote: »
    We haven't had the pleasure yet. Please post a blow by blow account, with tongue firmly inserted in cheek, and dripping with irony :-)

I'll write it on a post and stick it on the wall and you can look at it as it was a masterpiece :) and then discuss with your colleagues.

Send your school address via PM and I'll be very happy to forward it!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I'll write it on a post and stick it on the wall and you can look at it as it was a masterpiece :) and then discuss with your colleagues.

Send your school address via PM and I'll be very happy to forward it!!!
    Will you be providing a 'safe space' where we can blend our auras.

Had ours this week. So very boring. We had to put stickies on a flourishing tree to show how our students flourish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

dory wrote: »
    Had ours this week. So very boring. We had to put stickies on a flourishing tree to show how our students flourish.

Because our students just couldn't flourish under the old JC system
    What did we do in our classes before bloody post it stickies.
    I find it close to insulting the way they treat fully qualified teachers like 8 year olds at these JCycle days

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Imagine the cost in terms of untaught hours, missed days for the students and the (no doubt) colossal fees paid to the presenters.

If only there was a body, a council maybe, that 'acts in the interests of the public good while upholding and enhancing standards in the teaching profession'.

Maybe they could speak out about this nonsense or maybe they are part of the game. Have a sniff of the fresh flowers and a freshly brewed espresso there chums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭pandoraj09

We have our Wellbeing this Friday. I'm just dreading it. Will post my thoughts on Fri evening...

How much notice do schools get? It's like Chinese torture knowing it's coming.

How much notice do schools get? It's like Chinese torture knowing it's coming.

We had our date at beginning of term. It helps not to expect too much from it, in fact it'll prob confuse u more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Had ours during the week. I think if given a choice between having to sit through it again or be captured by Islamic State I would ask for some time to think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭acequion

Had ours during the week. I think if given a choice between having to sit through it again or be captured by Islamic State I would ask for some time to think about it.

lol :D:D

We gave ours a really hard time about how our camogie team had only one match this year - because of CBAs the round robin idea was gotten rid of and now if you lose once you're out for the year. So no more camogie until September 2019 for our camogie teams.....and we're here learning about how this new JC will improve the students' wellbeing....

The presenter got so flummoxed that she barked "Get up" at her colleague so that he could answer a few of the queries. She couldn't cope.

But sure all they care about is that it looks good on a CV and they'll be principals in no time.

dory wrote: »
    We gave ours a really hard time about how our camogie team had only one match this year - because of CBAs the round robin idea was gotten rid of and now if you lose once you're out for the year. So no more camogie until September 2019 for our camogie teams.....and we're here learning about how this new JC will improve the students' wellbeing....

The presenter got so flummoxed that she barked "Get up" at her colleague so that he could answer a few of the queries. She couldn't cope.

But sure all they care about is that it looks good on a CV and they'll be principals in no time.
    Wellbeing would actually squeeze the goodwill out of u! Having to account for these hours is nonsense, as if such activities didn't always happen in schools.
    The facilitators are drones, each one repeating the party lines as nauseum...& yes, all for cvs for management. God help us!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I see they haven't upped their game in JCT and are still as inept and fake as ever. I had my Wellbeing day over a year ago in September 2017. I will never forget what a load of absolute nonsense it was and how awful the facilitators were.

Advertisement