Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reconnected rad won’t heat

• 20-09-2018 7:17pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just put a rad back that was disconnected for decorating (it was off for a good few months, if that makes any differences).

I’ve reconnected it on both sides, opened the valve and bled it and turned the thermostatic value up full but when I put the heat on there’s nothing getting to it (the pipe on the thermo side is getting hot but that’s it).

The heating is working fine elsewhere - any ideas as to what might be going wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭jimf

if you had the rad stored upside down which people usually do you may have a bit of debris stuck around the vent hole

remove vent screw and gently probe around internally this may solve your problem

something like a cotton bud with the tip removed should suffice

might be best to do this with heating off otherwise you could have very hot water to
    contend with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Also if above is not the issue,turn off all the other rads and just leave that rad on and see what you get at that rad

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

jimf wrote: »
    if you had the rad stored upside down which people usually do you may have a bit of debris stuck around the vent hole

remove vent screw and gently probe around internally this may solve your problem

something like a cotton bud with the tip removed should suffice

might be best to do this with heating off otherwise you could have very hot water to
    contend with

Thanks - it was on it’s side so that’s definitely the possible problem.

Do you mean the bleed valve or where the rad connects to the pipes?
    agusta wrote: »
    Also if above is not the issue,turn off all the other rads and just leave that rad on and see what you get at that rad

Al bar this and one rad in the house was off when I put the heat on first. Will try again with everything else off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭jimf

bleed valve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

If the rad still fails to heat.The pin in the thermostatic valve is probably stuck in the closed position.,ensure the return valve is in the full open position.To check pin in the thermostatic valve,see video attached,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phFW-IIsH54

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

agusta wrote: »
    If the rad still fails to heat.The pin in the thermostatic valve is probably stuck in the closed position.,ensure the return valve is in the full open position.To check pin in the thermostatic valve,see video attached,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phFW-IIsH54

Thanks for that.

I checked the pin yesterday and there was a bit of movement, which I presumed was enough... but when I checked a different rad today I realised it should have been moving a bit more.

Oddly enough, though, when I took the dial bit off this morning the pin had popped up by its own accord so I didn’t have to do anything. Sure enough, when I fired up the heater this morning it got hot in no time.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Advertisement