Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emirates to take over Etihad?

Options
  • 20-09-2018 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

According to Forbes and Bloomberg Emirates are in talks to take over Etihad. Forbes use the term "rescue".
    My sister has been at Ek for quite a while. While she hasn't heard anything about this current rumour, many there believe that a merger, and move to Dubai World Central (DWC) was inevitable.
    I find idea of a " takeover" hard to believe though. While Etihad have made some bad investments, Alitalia and Air Berlin being most notable, the owners have very very deep pockets, and pride to match. Plus they've bailed out the Dubai owners of Emirates.
    It would be a huge airline though. Can't see the EU or US being too happy ( though Trump has in the past surprising backed his ME friends over domestic airlines)
    Etimates anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭Rawr

If a merger did happen, it would be interesting to see what form it would take.

Both Ethiad and Emirates had styled themselves as flag carriers of the UAE (possibly a reflection of local rivallry between Dubai and Abu Dhabi...alas I'm no expert on the place :D ), so it would be interesting to see if both brands would still exist in a merger, or if Ethiad would just be absorbed into Emirates.

Also, would everything actually move to DWC? Or would they just continue to run both current locations with shuttles between? (which apparently exist already)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭john boye

Clearly the big issue here is what will happen to Etihad's extremely dubious sponsorship deal with Man. City?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭Rawr

john boye wrote: »
    Clearly the big issue here is what will happen to Etihad's extremely dubious sponsorship deal with Man. City?!

Maybe it will then become Emirates' extremely dubious sponsorship deal with Man. City

;D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

My main issue with flying with Etihad is that bloody airport.
    I know they have the new one open sometime next year but with delays that could be 2020.

They really waited too long and lost out on a lot of customers due to this.
    Doha and Dubai are streets ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Rumor is all flights become Emirates, with Maintenance staying under a separate Ethiad brand.

You will probably see both locations remaining as hubs, lots of asset crossover so the economies of scale will be huge, also their purchasing power will be colossal.

Probably not good news for Airbus as Boeing seems to dominate their order book, but on the other hand it could be a lifeline for the A380!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I gave up flying with them and switched to Emirates because of the airport and their constant eroding of perks for gold members. Not letting gold chose bulkhead seats that hand't been sold by airport check in was just one thing too far!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

BigMoose wrote: »
    I gave up flying with them and switched to Emirates because of the airport and their constant eroding of perks for gold members. Not letting gold chose bulkhead seats that hand't been sold by airport check in was just one thing too far!

Yep, only flown with them twice this year and when i asked in the lounge in AUH for bulkhead seats for the next leg was told it was $85, mentioned that Gold customers used to have preference and was told not anymore - it's a bit **** tbh. They used to come down on the flight and offer them to you. Anyone I saw moving to those seats on the flights they were straight over with the credit card machine.
    They've cut back the offering in the lounge in Dublin as well, a la carte menu is no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

The issue with not been able to choose a bulkhead seat is because they don’t let parents officially book those seats for the bassinets so they have to wait to see who needs when they turn up and if the baby is the right size for the bassinet.

It’s a very messy system they have and caused me problems when I last flew with them. I’d provisionally booked the bulkhead seats right up to 24 hours before but when I checked in my seats where changed and all the bulkhead seats ere taken up by Arab men.
    The air nanny onboard wasn’t very impressed and told me the situation had gotten out of control. I could see this wasn’t the first time this had happened to her. Thankfully she sorted us out with a row to ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

The issue with not been able to choose a bulkhead seat is because they don’t let parents officially book those seats for the bassinets so they have to wait to see who needs when they turn up and if the baby is the right size for the bassinet.

It's not. The ones with the exits don't have any bassinets and were pretty much all empty on the flights I took recently. They have a list of gold customers in economy and they come around at the start of the flight to welcome and take a food order. Previously, at this point they would say that there is a row free/exit row seats if you'd like to move to them - now they want to charge for the privilege.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

If such a merger came about I think Emirates has a better marketing slant for the 'airline of the UAE.'

fullstop wrote: »
    It's not. The ones with the exits don't have any bassinets and were pretty much all empty on the flights I took recently............"Tere is a row free/exit row seats if you'd like to move to them" - now they want to charge for the privilege.
    Thats pretty ****ty, I can understand charging before boarding ir not assigning till the last minute. But charging inflight is horrendous nickel and diming of customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I have no problem with them charging extra for those seats but once it's got to airport check in any unsold are hardly likely to be paid for. So if it's full, a randomer will get the seat. In that case it costs them nothing to offer it to a status flyer. If it's not full and folk bundle to get them after take off, again they dont lose out to giving them to a status flyer. Although I'm glad I switched if they've taken to coming round with a credit card machine after take off!! Emirates still give them to status flyers at airport check in, get one pretty much any flight I want, except when the layover in DXB us too short as they wont do it before airport check in.

Advertisement