Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday in hell tour- William fotheringham

Options
  • 20-09-2018 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw this on Twitter for anyone interested in cycling on stage in Waterford & Dublin areas

https://twitter.com/willfoth/status/1042842199396896770?s=19
    Sunday, 4th November 2018

Filed under:

Time: 7.30pm Tickets: €12

In 1976 a little-known Danish film maker, Jorgen Leth, embarked on an ambitious project to capture the spirit of cycling’s toughest and cruellest Classic, Paris-Roubaix, in a new and epic way. Leth tried to show every significant moment during the day, to portray its heroes – Roger de Vlaeminck, Eddy Merckx, Freddy Maertens – as mythical figures, and used radical techniques - the helicopter mounted Wescam, an experimental choral soundtrack - and the finest cameramen of the day. The result was probably the finest-ever depiction of a single-day cycle race, a film that has itself become a Classic.

Best selling writer William Fotheringham has written a widely praised “biography” of Leth’s meisterwerk – how it was conceived and made and what became of the men and the places in it – and will be on hand to answer questions about the film and its maker.

All proceeds from the event will go to Pieta House;  www.pieta.ie

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's one for the calendar, the axis is just up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Booked for Bray. See you in Duff's after.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'll go meself to ballymun I'd say. No good pub for after though :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the only pub i've been in near the house is the autobahn, and that was nearly six years ago while we were waiting for the keys for the house due to a delay partly caused by the estate agent's son having had a stroke.

i'm not sure how much more meta an event can be though.
    'a sunday in hell' is a film documentary about a cycle race.
    william fotheringham's book, is a book about a film about a cycle race.
    this will be a talk about a book about a film about a cycle race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

'a sunday in hell' is a film documentary about a cycle race.
    william fotheringham's book, is a book about a film about a cycle race.
    this will be a talk about a book about a film about a cycle race.
    Also seeing the film on a big screen though? I haven't read the book yet, but only watched the film on youtube.

Cillian/ Irish Peloton did a Velocast "Reading Room" with him a few months ago, and the books been on my list since. Must bump it up now since I booked my ticket for Bray last night.

But in keeping with the sentiment above, I didn't even attempt to sell the event to the missus or anyone else in the family, so I'll be the weird loner in a good seat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

I'm sure you'll end up knowing half the auditorium, and there'll probably be a fair few in Duffs either pre or post showing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Doc07

I think you have achieved peak meta!

Now we have an Internet forum thread.. about a talk..about a book..about a film.. about a cycle race.

....added for dramatic effect

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Can someone posy a link to the ticket page, I cannot find it because I am tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

CramCycle wrote: »
    Can someone posy a link to the ticket page, I cannot find it because I am tired.

http://www.axisballymun.ie/whatson/shows/a-sunday-in-hell

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »

Closer to home

https://www.mermaidartscentre.ie/whats-on/events/a-sunday-in-hell

daragh_ wrote: »
    Closer to home....
    I keep forgetting that some people exist south of the Liffey!

€12 in Ballymun, €8.50 in Bray....mmmmm...

daragh_ wrote: »
    Closer to home....
    I keep forgetting that some people exist south of the Liffey!
    We haven't gone away you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Here's the link for the Waterford event https://imagineartsfestival.com/index.php/whatson/film-events/sunday-hell €12 here as well

The film's great - I saw it on BBC I think last year sometime

JMcL wrote: »
    ...The film's great - I saw it on BBC I think last year sometime
    It has been on Youtube for many years also.

so who has confirmed to go to this in the axis?
    i didn't get tickets yet, was possibly going to be away with work, but should be going now.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

Was at the Waterford event. Well worth seeing this on a big screen. I'd seen it before and knew the outcome of the race, but still found it gripping!

rb

Red Belly wrote: »
    'd seen it before and knew the outcome of the race
    not sure if need a spoiler warning for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Am going to Axis myself! Something different anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

I'm halt way through the book. Being a huge Paris roubaix fan, and having read several of fotheringhams previous books, I'm finding it very slow to get into this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Bump in advance of Sunday and Monday's events - Mermaid event close to selling out with tickets still available for Axis on Sunday and all for a good cause

I've booked Ballymun. Hopefully I'll manage to get out of work early to attend.

Anyone know if there's much parking around the Axis? I know there used to be on street spaces but someone at work said they don't exist any longer.

Anyone know if there's much parking around the Axis? I know there used to be on street spaces but someone at work said they don't exist any longer.
    Just saw this:
    The car park beside SuperValu is free to use after 7pm and costs 60c per hour before 7pm. This car park has five accessible parking spaces available and there are traffic lights at the pedestrian exit to take you across the road to Axis

5 spaces??

Just saw this:

5 spaces??

You could probably park in Northwood at Lidl, it's about a 5-10 minute walk. Otherwise my apartments have visitor parking that you have to text for. It's also in Northwood, but slightly closer

There's on street parking around the Garda station. Stupidly in the bus lane.

Just saw this:

5 spaces??

And 5 accessible spaces would mean, 5 for people with special needs of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

No shortage directly across the road in front of old Shopping Centre

seems to be allocated seating, but since there seem to be tickets free in ballymun it could allow for swaps.
    anyone fancy going for a pint after? though i'm not sure if there are any decent pubs nearby...

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    And 5 accessible spaces would mean, 5 for people with special needs of some sort.
    Doh! Of course. Sounds obvious now!

Advertisement