Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday in hell tour- William fotheringham

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Can you pay at the door for this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

according to their site, tbe box office is open for 90 minutes before events.
    i'd be surprised if they'd not sell you a ticket (assuming it's not sold out), but have no idea if that actually is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

They take telephone bookings if that any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

They take telephone bookings if that any use.

Ah I'll just rock out on the bike. It's only 20 minutes away from me. Worst comes to worst I'll have got out of the house and gotten a bit of exercise

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'll be the chap in the bright yellow hoodie, lest anyone fancy walking up to a complete stranger and asking 'excuse me, are you magicbastarder?'

• Advertisement

ben kingsley is much bigger than i expected him to be.

ben kingsley is much bigger than i expected him to be.
    ....and he looks much older than he is!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

How late did this run last night? I'm heading to Bray tonight (show starts 30mins later) and anxious to get home to my bed at a reasonable hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Very enjoyable event last night. Really loved the unfiltered access they were able to get in the doc; to the riders and teams and also to life amigos the fans.
    The scene with all the cars and bikes coming though the bends in the village towards the end, all attempting to overtake each other, had a whiff of mad max about it!

buffalo wrote: »
    How late did this run last night? I'm heading to Bray tonight (show starts 30mins later) and anxious to get home to my bed at a reasonable hour.
    i was home by half ten i think.

• Advertisement

I left around 10.20pm as the questions were begining to ease off. Good turnout and plenty of familiar faces including some of the 'hardmen' of cycling.

I didn't realise that they were going to show the whole film - I thought it would be just a talk and Q & A afterwards. Saw and heard a lot more things on the big screen that I didn't notice before on YT but I missed David Saunders' excellent narration.

magicbastarder - spotted you in your distinctive attire in the foyer but was in conversation with another boardsie and didn't get the chance to say hello. I was subsequently sitting in the row in front of you.

am i right in thinking that there were subtitles last night on some of the conversations caught on camera that are not in the version on youtube?

(for anyone who hasn't gone, the version shown last night is in the original danish voiceover, and subtitled. the version on youtube, the one i've seen anyway, has english narration - but IIRC some of the conversations caught on camera are not subtitled in that english version)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I was home just after 10.30 myself, but I live within 5 minutes of the Axis.

Was planning on buying the book there, but as is habit, didn't bring much cash.

The best scenes were nearly the ones in the Café. Really was a different era.

Weepsie wrote: »
    ...Was planning on buying the book there, but as is habit, didn't bring much cash....
    Same here. Forgot to get cash and only had a tenner in my wallet. Would have liked to get a signed copy.

Weepsie wrote: »
    I was home just after 10.30 myself, but I live within 5 minutes of the Axis.

Was planning on buying the book there, but as is habit, didn't bring much cash.

The best scenes were nearly the ones in the Café. Really was a different era.
    ah, i'd have spotted you the cash! i had enough for three books as it turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Thanks to all who came out last night to support the event and great to hear the positive feedback on this thread.

In relation to a few of the points raised above:

The version used is the Danish Film Insitute's remastered version as it's better quality and is a fuller cut than the other versions available which leave out quite a lot of the film - the link to the movie is here http://shop.dfi.dk/shop/joergen-leth-collection-226p.html. The sacrifice is the English narration but for anyone who attended Ballymun last night, the sound and picture quality more than makes up for that.

The running time of the movie is 111 mins so the full movie will run until 9.45pm tonight with approximately 45 mins for Q&A. William will be there from 7.00pm (or maybe before) so a great opportunity to drop by early, buy a book and have a chat with him.

For anyone yet to buy a ticket for tonight, there are only around twenty tickets remaining (from a 220+ capacity) with a large walk up audience in the Mermaid so would strongly urge you to buy now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

How much was the book?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

18 I think. Twas the hardback.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Really enjoyed last night, some era! The madness of the bikes/motorbikes/guys on car roofs amongst the spare bikes was crazy!

The sister assumpta thing was lost on me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

I can’t make it to tonight’s show , 4 tickets available free of charge if anyone wants them .

fondriest wrote: »
    I can’t make it to tonight’s show , 4 tickets available free of charge if anyone wants them .

Ill take one if your sure.

WF mentioned before the film started that you'd earn his admiration if you managed to spot bernard hainault in the documentary.

i will sell you the answer for a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭paul a newman

The sister assumpta thing was lost on me too.
    Check Sister Assumpta out in Father Ted, she was the nun sent to help with addictions

That was great. Far better version than the English YouTube version. By half way through I may as well have never seen it.

I believe pints in Duff's were in order with William after the showing but it's a school night. Hosted by Mr. Audax himself Paul, well worth attending if it comes up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yes, really enjoyed it. To the degree I'd go again, if it does come back (hopefully later in the week/ weekend in Bray!) and probably buy that version of the dvd, if its available.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Fair play to all involved in organising the screenings, I was at Bray last night and it was absolutely brilliant. I’ve watched it three or four times on YouTube but the screening really brought it to another level.

fotheringham mentioned that at the screening in ballymun, it was the biggest screen he'd seen the movie on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

fotheringham mentioned that at the screening in ballymun, it was the biggest screen he'd seen the movie on.
    And he reckoned last night was the biggest audience of the tour (and the best quality projector).

He was talking about potentially coming back for a tour. Although it wasn't only cyclists, hopefully the news of the take up will spread to a few other cycling shows, like The Cycling Podcast and Ned Boulting, both of whom limit their live shows to Britain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Films on YouTube if anyone wants to re watch it

Advertisement