Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apprentice UK 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Poor Jasmine is starting to get burned out. You can tell by looking at her. She comes across well, but being surrounded by these numpties for weeks on end is taking its toll!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭4Ad

Shocked..Thought Sabrina was a goner !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Pogba's lack of business knowledge is showing more each week.

Right call imo, good talker/seller but he's limited and lacks basic business sense.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

We're seven weeks in now and nobody's really emerged as a strong contestant. The only one who's jumped out even a little imo has been Sabrina, she has come across as quite smart to me, although she was understandably out of her depth tonight. Impossible to tell who'll be there to the end, seems like a total toss up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

We're seven weeks in now and nobody's really emerged as a strong contestant. The only one who's jumped out even a little imo has been Sabrina, she has come across as quite smart to me, although she was understandably out of her depth tonight. Impossible to tell who'll be there to the end, seems like a total toss up?

Jasmine and Jackie would also be strong candidates imo Tom a close 4th.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,992 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The "prizes" are getting worse each week.

Crazy golf?? Ffs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

everlast75 wrote: »

Crazy golf?? Ffs

Yeah. Remember when they were flown to Iceland?!

Yeah. Remember when they were flown to Iceland?!

More likely that they'll get a bus to Iceland for a frozen lasagne now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,299 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am glad Kayode gets to spend some time with his cat lol. I thought he was a bit unlucky to go he had a bad week, but if Tom can't win this task as PM.... Not a good sign.
    Surely the weakest link is that lady with the eye piercing, I don't remember her doing anything any week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Right call imo, good talker/seller but he's limited and lacks basic business sense.

Not even a good talker. For a "professional" speaker his use of language and his grammar was terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

In really annoyed at tonight's decision. Tom is useless. As was mentioned he has been PM twice + lost twice. If he can't even win on task he works at then forget about it. Sabrina is too weak. Very few good candidates this year. I did like Jackie until last week. That airhostess outfit was a disgrace. They all need to up their game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

A great career awaits Kayode in daytime TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Kyode was surely due to go soon but the logic of this weeks firing was so off.

Tom totally lost control and at the end of the day, blew £1600 by being minimalist and then escaping from the corporate client. And then he blew more money off the boat sale by late starting.

Sure, Kyode lost £80 on poor pricing but he wasn't the reason they failed this task at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,299 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Crazy golf?? Ffs
    You can just imagine the BBC intern being told
    'just buy any oul crap that's on groupon, It will do them! '

I know Daniel won the task, but to be fair to him, that lady was wowed when she saw the rooftop garden. They completely exaggerated the two minor issues (artificial grass on the counter and bark on the ground) which could have been rectified in 5 minutes. To dock 1000stg as a result was nonsense imho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

I know Daniel won the task, but to be fair to him, that lady was wowed when she saw the rooftop garden. They completely exaggerated the two minor issues (artificial grass on the counter and bark on the ground) which could have been rectified in 5 minutes. To dock 1000stg as a result was nonsense imho

I don’t think she was ever going to pay 2500, the most I think they would have gotten from her would be 1800-2000 pounds, she was looking for any excuse to drop the price.

Fully agree with the poster above concerning Tom, he must have a pretty good business plan which is really what it’s becoming more & more about, not the brightest fish in the pond & whatever about Koyode, I think with some training he could actually be quite good. I expect to see more decisions like last night though as the ones with the best business plan are kept on instead of better candidates

I don’t think she was ever going to pay 2500, the most I think they would have gotten from her would be 1800-2000 pounds, she was looking for any excuse to drop the price.

Perhaps it was poorly edited, but she said she would pay 2500 if she was "wow'd" and she literally said "wow". She then noted the artificial grass on the counter and the chippings on the floor. How that goes from 2500 to 1500 is beyond me. Even when Karen had her say, all she could complain about were the same two, easily rectifiable issues. Could be done in 5 mins with no extra material.

Think of how you would feel if you were touting for business and the customer shafted you like that. I know its only TV, but I just think 2000 would have been fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Kyode was surely due to go soon but the logic of this weeks firing was so off.

Tom totally lost control and at the end of the day, blew £1600 by being minimalist and then escaping from the corporate client. And then he blew more money off the boat sale by late starting.

Sure, Kyode lost £80 on poor pricing but he wasn't the reason they failed this task at all.

Ah his lack of business acumen shone through this week with his simply awful grasp of the figures.

He did a shocking job of the power washing.He coasted throughout the task and wouldn't take on board his PM's instructions.

He was very poor last week at the presentation.Great out front of shop with the public but struggles greatly in a corporate setting as Karen rightly mentioned.

Bad call by Tom to switch over to the other team and rein in the budget on the corporate client but I think it would have been hard to fire him.

Hilarious to watch the two warring factions make a hames of their initial job.

I'd have fired the two of them if they'd lost the task especially our argumentive friend.

Ridiculously harsh underpayment for a few minor issues,it was a really decent job.

Standout candidates IMO are Sabrina, Jackie in spite of this week and Jasmine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

For people with no gardening experience I thought they did a superb job. Laying out all that astroturf and cutting it to size around nooks and crannies was a big task and I thought they would cock it up but they actually produced a professional looking job. Compared with what the other team did on the corporate job it was miles ahead. Tom really lost them the task there, he is in horticulture and should have stayed on the corporate task to do it well and ensure they got the full £2,500. Instead he scrimped and saved at the garden centre and then did a runner over to the other team who were only making small money. I thought he should have been fired for that decision alone.

Just an observation on the series in general- I dont think I have ever watched a program with so many puns in it- between the voice over and Sugar more or less every second sentence contains a pun about the task, its unreal !

I'd love to see outtakes from the show; they must have such a laugh behind the scenes, probably just drinking all the time in the big house! I'd view it as a holiday in London if I was ever a contestant :pac: It would never work though: I could never address Alan as Lord Sugar, plus if he fired me, I'd tell him his Amstrad computers were ****, and I'd tell Karen she's got too many teeth, and they are bursting out of her mouth (I like Claude though: a gentleman).

I'd also love to know the rules and regulations that contestants have to abide by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Muahahaha wrote: »
    F
    Just an observation on the series in general- I dont think I have ever watched a program with so many puns in it- between the voice over and Sugar more or less every second sentence contains a pun about the task, its unreal !
    Sugar comes across distinctly uncomfortable with the obviously scripted puns, like he's just dying to fire the researcher that came up with this weak nonsense.

I'd love to see outtakes from the show; they must have such a laugh behind the scenes, probably just drinking all the time in the big house! I'd view it as a holiday in London if I was ever a contestant :pac: It would never work though: I could never address Alan as Lord Sugar, plus if he fired me, I'd tell him his Amstrad computers were ****, and I'd tell Karen she's got too many teeth, and they are bursting out of her mouth (I like Claude though: a gentleman).

I'd also love to know the rules and regulations that contestants have to abide by.

There are a few behind the scenes articles online and apparently they are filming six days a week for around about two months start to finish. A days filing can be up to fifteen hours. Filming each task takes from two days up to five and the boardroom filming takes an entire day which is then whittled down to the 10-12 minutes we see on TV.

Candidates are stripped of their mobile phones and only allowed one 10 minute phone call to family per week. They are also not allowed to talk about the tasks when in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Muahahaha wrote: »
    There are a few behind the scenes articles online and apparently they are filming six days a week for around about two months start to finish. A days filing can be up to fifteen hours. Filming each task takes from two days up to five and the boardroom filming takes an entire day which is then whittled down to the 10-12 minutes we see on TV.

Candidates are stripped of their mobile phones and only allowed one 10 minute phone call to family per week. They are also not allowed to talk about the tasks when in the house.

Yeah its anything but a "holiday" it'd be my idea of hell to be honest. They have to get up at 4/5 in the morning a lot of the time and as you say film for up to 15 hours, there is zero chance I'd stick that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

jr86 wrote: »
    Yeah its anything but a "holiday" it'd be my idea of hell to be honest. They have to get up at 4/5 in the morning a lot of the time and as you say film for up to 15 hours, there is zero chance I'd stick that

Surely if that’s true, it’s not really a good way to judge a business partner or apprentice, running them into the ground so that they more than likely won’t be able to think clearly or rationally. I don’t know many people who could work 6, 15 hour days on average every week without it having a major effect on their productivity even after a week.

I find it hard to believe they would work them that much. They all usually seem fairly fresh & well put together when on camera even though Jackie had a bit of a meltdown last week:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

It is 100% true. The whole series is knocked out in 8 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Surely if that’s true, it’s not really a good way to judge a business partner or apprentice, running them into the ground so that they more than likely won’t be able to think clearly or rationally. I don’t know many people who could work 6, 15 hour days on average every week without it having a major effect on their productivity even after a week.

I find it hard to believe they would work them that much. They all usually seem fairly fresh & well put together when on camera even though Jackie had a bit of a meltdown last week:)

Its true.

They have feck all sleep, get crap (and little) food - contestants have often cited that a lot of their mistakes are due to fatigue or whatever

The Boardroom alone takes hours in reality

They have to fit the whole show into only a couple of weeks, as contestants still have real lives that they have to put on hold, hence why the long hours

Its far from a holiday. It is a chance to get famous for a while, promote your business and actually get a life-changing investment so if you're after any of the above its no doubt worth going through but if I actually wanted to "have a laugh" and "drink all the time" I'd book an actual holiday

I think the reason for the long hours is just the sheer cost of filming, it is not a cheap undertaking. Its the same in the movie business, 15 hour filming days are the norm as the production company want to get it done as quickly as possible to keep costs down.

Can't wait for my weekly dose of Jackie Fast! I hope she makes it to the final; I'll be devastated if she gets sacked. She's definitely the most entertaining contestant left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Oh Jackie don't lose it this week, both trams have good leaders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Sabrina could be trouble if her team loses tonight.

Advertisement