Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop discoloration on desktop only

Options
  • 20-09-2018 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

Okay so the other day my laptop displayed a green tint all over the screen. I thought it was physical damage but cleared up after a reboot. Happened again today but with a gradiated purple tint. Connected to TV and all fine so not a GPU issue presumably. Really weird thing is if I open an other program there is no sign of the problem but if I go back to the desktop it's there again!

EDIT:
    As an update to this it's definitely a hardware issue but might be a loose connection maybe. If I gently press the bezel on the bottom it causes the screen to reset itself a bit. Could it be a loose connection or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

It could be the screen on the way out. An old laptop of mine started showing vertical lines every now and then at first, which would disappear when i moved it around a bit. Eventually that stopped working too so i just replaced the screen myself with a spare i bought on amazon.

If your not confident enough you could ask someone who is to remove the screen and clean the connector and reconnect it and see if that fixes it permanently. How old is the laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Wetbench4 wrote: »

If your not confident enough you could ask someone who is to remove the screen and clean the connector and reconnect it and see if that fixes it permanently. How old is the laptop?

Good idea about cleaning the connector. I'd have no issue tackling it myself. Videos suggest it's pretty easy to access the screen and replace if necessary. Laptop is only 2 1/2 years old and is well cared for.

Advertisement