Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone's new "Gigabox" (Powerstation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pk10216

Are you on a 1Gb package?

Yeah on 1gb package

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

pk10216 wrote: »
    Yeah on 1gb package

Did the installer test the connection? If so what was the result?

Is the device you're getting 250Mb on actually capable of higher speeds? You might replace the router only to find you're getting similar speeds.

To test for gigabit capability you need two devices with gigabit cards and use something like LAN speed test or iPerf over the LAN.

https://totusoft.com/lanspeed

https://iperf.fr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Tried it on wired connection straight to router and can get 250 mbps. Will call Monday and give them cooling off period yada yada and request they give me new Gigabox router. Is it likely it could get closer to advertised speed if using this?

Specs of device you're resting with?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pk10216

Specs of device you're resting with?

It's a h96 pro+ android box and I've checked the specs and it seems it's capable

"Gigabit LAN provides a data rate of 1 billion bits per second"

It's a h96 pro+ android box and I've checked the specs and it seems it's capable

Not at all, get a decent laptop and test. Just because the interface is capable doesn't mean the device itself is up to gigabit speeds. You are doing quite well with that hardware

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ugh.

The retail ISPs need to stop selling the gig package without a 20Q test to confirm the user understands how to use it. Otherwise it will just generate thousands of "Slow speed" cases for their support teams to argue out with the user that their 2007 HP is too **** for the service they bought.

Like selling a bugatti to a learner driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

lawred2 wrote: »
    well we get 84Mb so I'd say we're close enough to the cab... At a guess I'd say it's 250m away

These are my stats and I'm 500m on the button....
    RX:81918/ TX:20478(Kbps)

You could have a longer cable run that 250.

Bio3uP7l.jpg
    GIMickey wrote: »
    Just to follow up on a post I posted a month ago on the speeds of the HG659. I couldn't get more than 150mb on 5Ghz WiFi.

I still have the HG659 but a friend received the gigabox from Vodafone. I took it home and connected it up. See the screenshot for the speeds.

With the gigabox I'm getting very consistent speed around the house and coverage is good too. I got on the phone to Vodafone again and hoping they call me back this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

ED E wrote: »
    Bio3uP7l.jpg

That's from a 4G mobile network?

degsie wrote: »
    That's from a 4G mobile network?

No, its not. He's on 4G taking the screenshot but the icon clearly indicates a wifi test 28 minutes earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 cgaie

Thinking of leaving Virginmedia 360 Mbps to get Vodafone 1000 Mbps

At the moment I have virginmedia modem WIFI disabled and Google WIFI connected to the modem for WIFI connection which is fantastic

Have anyone tried this configuration disabling the vodafone gigabox modem WIFI and using the Google WIFI or any other Mesh connection for the WIFI?

If it was anything other than Google WiFi you would just use that, no Vodafone gear at all. Unfortunately GWifi is missing a crucial feature which gimps it for modern connections.

You could do what you're suggesting though. Upside: lower latency and more stable. Downside: 1tb cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cgaie

What about the 1000 Mbps. Are you really getting that speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

I have Vodafone's Siro Braodband. Was using a Linksys AC1900 and recently replaced it with Vodafone's new Gigabox and find the wifi speeds to be marginally slower (i think the Gigabox is AC1300 vs the Linksys is AC1900) but I'm finding the wired connection much faster, maxing out the gigabit connection at times where the Linksys never did this.

7714901123.png

cgaie wrote: »
    What about the 1000 Mbps. Are you really getting that speed?

It's real 1000Mb(950Mb really) but only on devices that can handle it. Wired desktops with 1g cards that aren't ancient etc.

Assuming your Linksys is the older ac1900 then it's only capable of 630Mb wan to lan or thereabouts. The new one is gig capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

Assuming your Linksys is the older ac1900 then it's only capable of 630Mb wan to lan or thereabouts. The new one is gig capable.

Well that explains it, it was the 1st Gen. But at least it show the Gigabox is capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The FTTH connection delivered by SIRO and OpenEIR are capable of 1 Gbit/s ... no problems there.

It's down to the router, your provider and your own hardware, if you archieve it. But the GPON technology to deliver it is spot on.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭setanta1000

So guys - I have just ordered the upgrade to SIRO from Vodafone from my existing fibre broadband - Rep made no mention of new modem / router - should I insist on getting the Gigabox one?

Try. Interesting to see what they say.

Try. Interesting to see what they say.

I will but do I NEED it to get optimum speeds? What benefit would it give an average home user?

• Advertisement

658 isn't fit for FTTH at all
    659 is ok for the 150Mb package
    300+ and you really want one for the wireless performance if your devices are newish.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

Anyone have look with be the existing customer and try to get this new box ? i have 300 package with the google wifi but am curious with new box. Other than tell vf old one broek??

So checked my order and it looks like the Gigabox is included in "My Devices" so lets see how it goes

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I’m leaving Virginmedia 360 Mbps to get Vodafone 1000 Mbps

At the moment I have virginmedia modem WIFI disabled and BT WholeHome connected to the modem for WIFI connection which is fantastic and give great coverage.

Should I see any improvement?

sharkman wrote: »

At the moment I have virginmedia modem WIFI disabled and BT WholeHome connected to the modem for WIFI connection which is fantastic and give great coverage.

Not over wireless, your Virgin would have been already maxing that mesh system

If you have to ask its generally a waste of your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The Actavo installers don't have any of the older routers in the vans anymore (checked with one today). So the ones who order SIRO through Vodafone and where it's a physical installation will only get the Gigabox routers.

/M

If you have to ask its generally a waste of your money.

OK , so what would you recommend ??

OK , so what would you recommend ??

The 150Mb FTTH package. Lower latency, plenny o bandwidth.

• Advertisement

The 150Mb FTTH package. Lower latency, plenny o bandwidth.

The guys installed the Vodafone Gigabox today . Plenty fast but not great distance .

Advertisement