Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone's new "Gigabox" (Powerstation)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

sharkman wrote: »
    The guys installed the Vodafone Gigabox today . Plenty fast but not great distance .

Distance isn't great on 5Ghz but speed is good, Switch to the 2.4Ghz for greater distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭setanta1000

Mine not going as well - KN installing but no Gigabox modem in van - installer says it makes no difference

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Mine not going as well - KN installing but no Gigabox modem in van - installer says it makes no difference

KN ? If that VDSL then, you're getting ?

It's only the SIRO installers that carry them currently.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Forgewire

I’m getting about 480 mbps on ac wifi devices. I can’t understand why my ps3 shows only 68 mbps on wired LAN port with that Gigabox? It supposed to be 1000 mbps. I set full duplex 1000BASE-T on ps3. What’s wrong with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Forgewire wrote: »
    I’m getting about 480 mbps on ac wifi devices. I can’t understand why my ps3 shows only 68 mbps on wired LAN port with that Gigabox? It supposed to be 1000 mbps. I set full duplex 1000BASE-T on ps3. What’s wrong with it?

Wherever the PS3 is testing to can only supply 68Mb would be my guess.

• Advertisement

If you don't know, where the PS3 is testing to, then that test is not usable for anything.

You need to know, that the other side actually can deliver the speed, that you are requesting.

Hence, why when doing speedtest, most here will always refer you to 3 speedtest.net servers in Ireland: Carlow (Blacknight), Galway (Airwire) and Sligo (Northwest Broadband).

Those 3 are known to have 10 Gbit/s bandwidth or more. Most other servers have 1 Gbit/s or less themselves.

And always test to more than one server, so you don't get one on a bad day.

Fast.com (Netflix speedtest) doesn't even have enough bandwidth to give decent results.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lads its probably simpler than that, PS3 is oooold. 256MB ram, 90nm (stone age) arch... I suspect you'd hook it up in Sony HQ next to the server and it wouldnt have the grunt to pull more than 100Mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

ED E wrote: »
    Lads its probably simpler than that, PS3 is oooold. 256MB ram, 90nm (stone age) arch... I suspect you'd hook it up in Sony HQ next to the server and it wouldnt have the grunt to pull more than 100Mb.

I was surprised it even had a gigabit port tbh. I'm not a gamer!

I’m not a gamer either but ps3 is the only device I’ve got with Gigabit ethernet port. Also it’s not that easy to test broadband speed with its browser, it doesn’t support flash, java and other tech. Normally you check internet speed via play station system menu, very strange that it sucks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I’m not a gamer either but ps3 is the only device I’ve got with Gigabit ethernet port. Also it’s not that easy to test broadband speed with its browser, it doesn’t support flash, java and other tech. Normally you check internet speed via play station system menu, very strange that it sucks though.

I am a gamer and I was surprised the PS3 had a gigabit port but it does seemingly. Anytime I test the internet speed with my PS4 using its own speedtest the speeds fluctuate massively and this is using the LAN port and not wifi.

• Advertisement

It's not strange. It predates the first iPhone!

It's not strange. It predates the first iPhone!

May be, but as I said my ancient ps3 with gigabit ethernet is the only device I have to test claimed 1000mbps broadband speed. I also have 4th generation ATVs but they only have 10/100BASE-T Ethernet and as useless as 1st iPhone you mentioned.

At least you wont need a speed upgrade until 2035, far more than you'd ever utilise.

Marlow wrote: »
    KN ? If that VDSL then, you're getting ?

It's only the SIRO installers that carry them currently.

/M

Nope - it was Gigabit fiber (limited to 150 Mbps not full 1000 Mbps) - KN installer said he didn't have any but other lads did....they're also advertised on the Vodafone ad.

So, partly due to my own lack of knowledge and some less than clear language by Vodafone sales I ended up getting the Vodafone Gigabit Fiber 150 Package - I thought I was getting the full 1000 Mbps. I will be having separate conversation with Vodafone to see if I can get full speed at same price.

But overall install was very good, installer was very neat, put the router where I wanted it in the room and ran the cable from the fiber modem.

Tested the line and was getting downloads of 160 Mbps (despite being on the 150 deal).

Happy with speed but 5Mhz wifi coverage / distance is not great

Is this SIRO or OpenEIR ?

Because it's the first I'm hearing of KN doing a FTTH installation for Vodafone. What area ?

/M

Is this SIRO or OpenEIR ?

Because it's the first I'm hearing of KN doing a FTTH installation for Vodafone. What area ?

/M

SIRO - Greystones, Co.Wicklow

Installer has already done a good few in the past month(s) according to himself

Interesting. Bit bad, that they didn't supply them with the new routers so.

/M

Interesting. Bit bad, that they didn't supply them with the new routers so.

/M

Yeah....but as ED E stated above the Vodafone 659 is sufficient for 150 so I can see the logic.

...I just wanted a new toy to play with!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

KN don't do SIRO installations, Actavo do all the SIRO installs.

You should also get a Gigabox with Vodafone for any of their Gigabit packages (150 - 1000Mbps, Siro or Not).

v10 wrote: »
    KN don't do SIRO installations, Actavo do all the SIRO installs.

You should also get a Gigabox with Vodafone for any of their Gigabit packages (150 - 1000Mbps, Siro or Not).

So I assumed it was SIRO because SIRO did the JV with Vodafone - maybe I'm wrong but Vodafone is my provider.

It was a KN van with a KN installer who installed fiber from my house to the electricity "box" on the street (he drilled a new hole in the wall and showed me the fiber optic core) and I now have faster broadband but no Gigabit box.

I have raised with Vodafone through boards that I was expecting a Gigabit box.

• Advertisement

Double checked.

SIRO rollout in Bray does not cover Greystones.

What you have is definatly FTTH via OpenEIR so, hence the KN installer. So you're a very very early OpenEIR FTTH installation for them. That explains the KN installer and the lack of Gigabox.

Also, the fiber would have come from either a black distribution point on a telephone pole or OpenEIR/Eircom underground chamber.

Vodafone do deliver on some of OpenEIRs FTTH network now. But that's recent. That may also have been the reason, why you originally were down as 100 Mbit/s.

The FTTH systems for SIRO and OpenEIR are pretty much identical. Just that the ONT for SIRO actually has a green SIRO sticker on it. The ONT for OpenEIR is plain.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mochinda

hi
    please i need the login and password for configuration adsl
    Who is not in the back of the router, because it entitles me to enter only to user
    please help me name vodafone SHG3000

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Zombie thread alert!

Swapped a 659 with one of these yesterday, totally missed that they had an SFP+ port on the left edge. Noice. Didnt check if it could be used on the WAN side for some local 10G.

As an aside its antennas seem fairly solid, getting improved coverage in a non ideal building.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Maerlokw

If it was anything other than Google WiFi you would just use that, no Vodafone gear at all. Unfortunately GWifi is missing a crucial feature which gimps it for modern connections.

You could do what you're suggesting though. Upside: lower latency and more stable. Downside: 1tb cap.

Know it's been a while since that post but what is Google/Nest WiFi missing from being able to just replace the Gigabit box with it. I have the Gigabit box but find it unreliable, the WiFi often just decides to stop working for 10-30 seconds for unknown reasons and the coverage and quality aren't great. Is there anything else you could recommend I could replace the gigabit box with for reasonable price?

It cant handle the VLAN tags that are required to connect so you need an intermediate switch to strip them. Not worth the fuss.

Deco, eero etc are alternatives. You may or may not like the price.

Advertisement