Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewing Irish Passport Online from Canada

Options
  • 20-09-2018 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭

Hi

I couldn't find any recent info on this. Has anyone here applied for a new irish Passport online while they were resident of Canada? It says on the website you need a digital photo and a photo code, provided by a list of approved photo suppliers (all listed in Ireland). Can I just take the photo myself of do I need to get a pharmacy to take a proper digital photo? What do I do about the "photo code"? Or do I simply need to go to the embassy of one of the big cities (4 hour drive) and do it all manually?

I've sent an email to the irish passport office but I was hoping someone here might have been through the process recently.

Any help would be great, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

As long as you're renewing you can do it all yourself.

Well, nearly all yourself - you need someone to take the photo of you on your mobile! I did this recently and I had to submit four different pics before it accepted one. You need a plain white background and good light. Unfortunately it doesn't tell you what was wrong with it, and I was sure the last one would be too dark, but no it was fine.

Oh God, I've just realised it was a passport card, not an actual passport I applied for..... but as far as I know the process is exactly the same and what you've described above sounds the same as for the card.

ETA I've just looked at the site, and yes, it's the same - use the third option "photo taken at home", you just submit it online in the next stage and it'll either accept it or reject it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

As above, I think I got someone to take my photo but I may have also taken a selfie. Be aware that the passport was printed in a couple of days but it took 4 weeks for it to arrive. Canada Post are very slow and registered international mail is not tracked once it gets to Canada.

Advertisement