Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser eye surgery consultation has me worried, l got a stye!

Options
  • 21-09-2018 7:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭

My eyesight has been getting worse over the years and next stop is varifocals. I am now considering laser eye surgery so went for my free consultation this week.

The evening after my eye examination I could feel one eye lid getting a bit sore. I thought maybe it was from the drops so didn't think too much about it. Next day it is no better, that evening it was worse and now today I realise it is a stye.

I have had only 1 stye in my life, back in my teens so to have one develop just after an eye examination just says poor hygiene to me. Or am I wrong? Could it just be coincidence? Are gloves usually worn when such an eye test is being done? There was a fait bit of pulling down the lower lid. Should they at least be worn for administering the drops?

I am due back in a week or so to have contacts fitted to see if I am suitable for monovision surgery but I feel very reluctant now.

Has anyone else had the same thing happen? Is it relatively normal thing to happen or was I unlucky?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

By any chance was it Optilase or one of those clinics that offer laser surgery for 599 etc?
    Do yourself a favour..get it done in a proper hospital who have a resident eye doctor and proper after support. Its more expensive but we're talking about your vision here. I couldn't put a price on losing that.
    And any time I've gotten drops in at Specsavers the onsite optician always wore gloves so it smacks of extremely poor hygiene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Clean gloves are normal when touching someone's eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Blazer wrote: »
    By any chance was it Optilase or one of those clinics that offer laser surgery for 599 etc?
    Do yourself a favour..get it done in a proper hospital who have a resident eye doctor and proper after support. Its more expensive but we're talking about your vision here. I couldn't put a price on losing that.
    And any time I've gotten drops in at Specsavers the onsite optician always wore gloves so it smacks of extremely poor hygiene.

Thanks for the quick reply Blazer. Yes, it was Optilase. I went really as a first look at the whole thing of laser surgery. Anyway, at least one of the types of eye drops he used came in a single use mini bottle that he just tore off the top to open, like a sachet - no gloves! He was in and out of the room while I was waiting to go in and while I was in there but at no time did he wash his hands between touching all the door handles and examining my eyes.

I wasn't all that comfortable with the whole thing. He wasn't particularly friendly or caring, he offered very little info, but great news, he could tell me that my presbyopia had peaked and wouldn't get any worse! :rolleyes: (I'm 50 so that's unlikely)

I'm going to try and go to see him today with my dirty eye! :(
    I am not happy. :mad:

But I will definitely be checking out other options.

Advertisement