Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deering

• 21-09-2018 7:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

I see pat deering couldn't keep his big gob shut, now putting carlow's possible hosting of the ploughing championship next year in danger.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

hadepsx wrote: »
    I see pat deering couldn't keep his big gob shut, now putting carlow's possible hosting of the ploughing championship next year in danger.

If this fails his re-election chances are shot. Major embarrassment for him and very naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

What was he saying?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    What was he saying?

He just welcomed everyone to next years Ploughing in Carlow...before the NPA had officially announced it. They'd want to get over themselves, it's been an open secret for over a month now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

Acording to Virgin News, Anna Marie McHugh is saying "There is a real possibility now that the statement (from Pat Deering) has put that announcement (of the 2019 venue) in jeopardy"

The announcement was supposed to have been made yesterday, but nothing yet.

I'll be having words with Pat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

By reacting to it they've made it newsworthy, I can't imagine much heed would have been paid to what the gombeen Deering said otherwise. I think it's a bit rich to act like it's a big secret ...I'm not from an agricultural background so if I knew ages ago it must have been common knowledge!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It was actually wasn't a done deal at all, the NPA had written to various places in the recent past with a view to using . He'd better hope that Carlow is successful now!

The rumours swirling around...Laois, kildare, Kilkenny all mentioned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

If Carlow were to get this. It would have been for two years and one of them years is the world's. The revenue it would have generated would have been massive. I remember the last time the world's was held here the town was jammed every bed in the county was full. Pat could have killed off his dream of reelection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

I'm not a fan of Pat Deering by any stretch of the imagination and yes he should have kept stum on the venue until it was officially announced but why wasn't the front page headline/article of this weeks Nationalist commented on by the NPA in the same manner?
    I also wouldn't go blaming Deering if the event doesn't come to Carlow, my opinion is that the NPA response to his comments is a way to back out of a venue that was all but officially confirmed because of an issue getting enough land to host the event.
    Up until last weekend I was like a lot of people and believed that it was going to be held in Carlow next year but since then I'm not so sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

iano.p wrote: »
    If Carlow were to get this. It would have been for two years and one of them years is the world's. The revenue it would have generated would have been massive. I remember the last time the world's was held here the town was jammed every bed in the county was full. Pat could have killed off his dream of reelection

He struggled to get in the last time, the two women are very contrary after the week may be a few nights sleep might change the tempo things didn't go as planned will there bonus be down this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭fits

Even I knew about it being in Carlow next year. Maybe not a done deal though. It’s hardly fair to blame Deering if it doesn’t happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

He's definitely screwed the pooch on this one alright. I've little to no interest in the ploughing but the organisers strike me as a my way or the highway kind of bunch so I'd imagine out of spite it'll be held elsewhere.

Nice work Pat :rolleyes:

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/ploughing-championships/major-row-breaks-out-over-td-letting-slip-2019-ploughing-championships-venue-37339524.html

He’s a poor enough TD, certainly not the most polished or accomplished communicator. Seems to be a large enough dislike for him in Carlow especially in the town- always been a big town-rural divide there anyhow.
    He got elected on FG no 2s from Kilkenny really the last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’ve met him a couple of times. Sat beside him for a couple of hours and I liked him in person. He’s pretty sharp. Moreso than he comes across in the media.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Had a run in with him over medication I was involved in campaigning for. Didn't even have the courtesy to return an email or call, but once we managed to get it funded, he was straight on to claim credit.

Advertisement