Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sherlock - A game of Werewolf! FEEDBACK THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Thats no disrespect to the mods or you Necro. A decision was made and its not wrong! Just a matter of subjective definitions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Pter wrote: »
    But its not really mind control if its an empty NRV account in fairness. Its having 2 accounts.

:( I didn't make the role, I was only explaining how it worked.

Very efficiently is the answer :pac:

Necrominus wrote: »
    :( I didn't make the role, I was only explaining how it worked.

Very efficiently is the answer :pac:

Ah i know. Look dont mind me im just bitter i got played so effectively.

Regardless of Winnie, I think the wolves would have won this anyways.

Night 2 was the closest the village got to having a wolf on the chopping block, and three players had more votes.

Village cohesion just didn't happen like it did in a few games recently.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

There was actually no hidden roles though. All roles were mentioned in the OP, even if all the powers each role had weren't. Janine Hawkins was a complete fabrication.

We've had baddies peek as good before, but I liked the trade off of having that player no backroom access while in that status.

SK, in some respects got an easier ride than other games too. The first introduction of an SK involved only a kill every second day. That has evolved over the last few games to daily kills. Being able to chose the time of a kill, and plan confusion with writing of their own flavour was a lot more than early SKs ever got. It was just hard luck that they got killed really. If we'd peeked him when we'd first wanted to (before we changed to Holly) we might well have kept him around a bit longer as he'd have helped cull some villagers for us.

It's been said before, but play the same game in a thousand different universes, and you'll probably get a thousand different results based on tiny variations.

• Advertisement

quickbeam wrote: »
    There was actually no hidden roles though. All roles were mentioned in the OP, even if all the powers each role had weren't. Janine Hawkins was a complete fabrication.

We've had baddies peek as good before, but I liked the trade off of having that player no backroom access while in that status.

SK, in some respects got an easier ride than other games too. The first introduction of an SK involved only a kill every second day. That has evolved over the last few games to daily kills. Being able to chose the time of a kill, and plan confusion with writing of their own flavour was a lot more than early SKs ever got. It was just hard luck that they got killed really. If we'd peeked him when we'd first wanted to (before we changed to Holly) we might well have kept him around a bit longer as he'd have helped cull some villagers for us.

It's been said before, but play the same game in a thousand different universes, and you'll probably get a thousand different results based on tiny variations.

As i say, its a matter of definitions, but if someone is described as essentially a wolf seer in the OP but then has an additional power that is hidden, its effectively a hidden second role.

We have also, iirc, never had a compromised seer AND priest however. We effectively couldnt trust all the info both roles would have provided (academic since our seer died anyway).

So i would respectfully disagree.

Again, disregard this as bitter ramblings on my part :pac:

As much as personally i dont like losing, objectively i can see it is a great setup and game. The full roles are fantastic and the wolves didnt put a foot wrong. Quite the opposite. Havent read the BR yet but it seems from the outside you guys were amazingly organised and coordinated!

As much as personally i dont like losing, objectively i can see it is a great setup and game. The full roles are fantastic and the wolves didnt put a foot wrong. Quite the opposite. Havent read the BR yet but it seems from the outside you guys were amazingly organised and coordinated!

Yeah I felt we all pitched in, as you'll probably read in keeping each other on an even keel.

QB actually came up with the idea for the messages, then pushed on Winnie being the one to reveal so as not to push us into the open.

I took the brunt as Eurus, as it was the only way I felt Winnie could clear up not voting for Orla after Desmond got shot.

Think it was Guffy who spotted Babs first, and we twigged the BG pretty early but the jailer effectively was a second BG so it made it difficult to figure who to target.

Drumpot played that role to a tee imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

My problem with it is that the village, at no point, would have ever been given the extra info about the Moriarty role. So they could, realistically, never have worked out what was going on with the Wini/Janine thing. They were fighting a losing battle.

And that is not taking away at all from how Necro played Wini. 2 Accounts is an insane amount of work and to make them both so diverse and with different personalities is a real achievement. He made the best of the 2 roles and was fantastic for the wolf team.

But there was hidden stuff on both sides. The seer was clearing three villagers a night (except Abi, but he wasn't to know that), and if he'd survived that would have been a MASSIVE blow to the wolves.

The Vig and BG sharing a room was massive (don't think that has happened before) and an extra bullet for each successful protect would have done double damage to the wolves (a failed munch and a chance of being shot). The BG inheriting any unused bullets too. It all could have been very different in a different universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Well Winnie was a mind controlled NRV, that was the power. Counted as parity for the village as well.

Handy to shove off down the line but two accounts was carnage to play. Really exhausting.

Had Orla been killed, Winnie died alongside her but not the other way around

Fair play for being able to juggle the two. I never want a role like that , I struggle to keep my head with one plain old nrv account :(

But I’m with pter on this. Winnie wasn’t good and didn’t help the village catch wolves. I’m not sure why she peaked good... Winnie’s death reveal by the priest (nrv) didn’t make any sense. Since Winnie was passing notes there really was no way of working out what was going on and which power was in play.

As much as I go down rabbit holes I spent a lot of time trying to figure out which baddy Winnie was but sure I was never going to get it as she’s technically good. Part of the greater confusion was tied into the wolf that gets sent away. Only they peak good right? No it’s also a second wolf role nobody knows of which effectively makes seer and priest picks irrelevant to that role..

Listen I’m not a good player and I’m only good at gathering info but not putting it together. I don’t want this to come across as anyway negative it’s just personal feedback. Wolves were superb this game and used their powers to the best they could. The lesson I’m learning is that there isn’t much point in sticking too much or OP (like Molly mentioned) and don’t get hung up on baddy powers....

• Advertisement

Yeah I felt we all pitched in, as you'll probably read in keeping each other on an even keel.

QB actually came up with the idea for the messages, then pushed on Winnie being the one to reveal so as not to push us into the open.

I took the brunt as Eurus, as it was the only way I felt Winnie could clear up not voting for Orla after Desmond got shot.

Think it was Guffy who spotted Babs first, and we twigged the BG pretty early but the jailer effectively was a second BG so it made it difficult to figure who to target.

Drumpot played that role to a tee imo.

Looking cluelesss is my strength .... :pac:

But there was hidden stuff on both sides. The seer was clearing three villagers a night (except Abi, but he wasn't to know that), and if he'd survived that would have been a MASSIVE blow to the wolves.

The Vig and BG sharing a room was massive (don't think that has happened before) and an extra bullet for each successful protect would have done double damage to the wolves (a failed munch and a chance of being shot). The BG inheriting any unused bullets too. It all could have been very different in a different universe.

Ah but seer info wasnt 100% accurate either way. None of the wolf powers were under doubt at any stage. Wasnt like 1 in 3 of Moriartys messages wouldnt send, or would go to the wrong person.

Bg successfully protecting would have been a boon, but successful protects are fairly rare, i think? He had a 1 in 3.5 chance at best to get one i think? Vs 1 in 2 chance for Jeff to kill.....

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    And that is not taking away at all from how Necro played Wini. 2 Accounts is an insane amount of work and to make them both so diverse and with different personalities is a real achievement. He made the best of the 2 roles and was fantastic for the wolf team.

Thanks, people are probably concerned I have some form of split personality disorder now :pac:

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    My problem with it is that the village, at no point, would have ever been given the extra info about the Moriarty role. So they could, realistically, never have worked out what was going on with the Wini/Janine thing. They were fighting a losing battle.

Sherlock would have gotten the Moriarty info if he peeked that player and didnt do the 3 alignment thing, i think?

Sherlock would have gotten the Moriarty info if he peeked that player and didnt do the 3 alignment thing, i think?

Yeah. As did Priest.

I was thinking perhaps the priest reveal would have shown Winnie as the minion actually.

But obviously it was tied to my own character, so phew!

Had I been killed, it would have cleared a lot up for the village tbh.

Yeah. As did Priest.

Oh! Didnt know that!

Oh! Didnt know that!

Yeah, when Conor revealed he had all the info.

Thats a fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭andy125

There was a downside also to the Jeff kills that if he missed it would effectively clear that person from being a wolf

Priest got all hidden roles as did sherlock

The blackmail gun could have been used on anyone and not just the people mentioned in Charles note.

The village had 2 bgs effectively also

• Advertisement

I presume the effect of Moriarty's notes wasn't something the mods has expected in the planning either.

andy125 wrote: »
    There was a downside also to the Jeff kills that if he missed it would effectively clear that person from being a wolf

The blackmail gun could have been used on anyone and not just the people mentioned in Charles note.

Wolves missed a trick there. They could have claimed to be pilled on Jeffs off days to clear themselves. May have backfired, but we werent sure on the wording of Jeff missing his kill chance, so may have come off! I know Wini tried it but it was too little too late at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭andy125

I presume the effect of Moriarty's notes wasn't something the mods has expected in the planning either.

Was given to cast doubt and paranoia, so yes it was expected :)

Wolves missed a trick there. They could have claimed to be pilled on Jeffs off days to clear themselves. May have backfired, but we werent sure on the wording of Jeff missing his kill chance, so may have come off! I know Wini tried it but it was too little too late at that stage.

Ah we didn't need it, we had the village dancing to our merry tune anyways :P

It could have been attempted on Tuesday with Wendy dying I guess, but Clodagh (if she lived) and then Brendan would have figured out the liar a day or two later. By that point the Winnie scheme had things looking comfy for us tbh.

Too much risk for a reward that may not have paid off.

andy125 wrote: »

Only if the village don't go down rabbit holes like I always do . . :(

I knew there was at least one or two extra accounts in the game but wasnt sure in what capacity.

I semi doubted Wendy saying the pill thing until she was killed twice. I actually thought that at one stage that maybe her role was to confuse villagers (wolves go after twice) to leave this pill thing in the ether to confuse people (seems like the Winni role was the one I was after). .

Teagans random death by gunshot made me think that maybe Jeff had done that kill and could in effect sort of post a message like the SK (death by pill - gunshot etc). That made me doubt Clodagh and Brendan and Conor . :o

Also it didn't feel right jailing goodies, it was just weird.

I actually thought at one stage the baddies had revealed on thread as good (Clodagh, Brendan, Conor) and that they were effectively nullifying my power cause they were orchestrating who I give the power to and would know other villagers are exposed . .

I have been on wolf teams and I don't think we were as organised as this group in this game. The baddies played us like you would expect master criminals to toy with goodies . . Really well played . .

Two games in under a month is prob a bit too much for me. I really enjoy the game but I get way too intense and neglect way too many RL things . .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Guffy

kitten_k wrote: »
    What gave it away I was roled?

It was when you told us you were in hospital but said nothing changed in backroom or something like that

Ectoplasm wrote: »
    I was demented at the end. I knew there was at least one wolf in the pile of note getters. I should have pursued my Wini wasn't Adler theory harder but we'd never have won anyway and I swear I'll be fired if I don't do some actual work soon. :pac:

There was... Riona

Ecto, you're far better at the game than you give yourself credit for. Your backroom was a revelation. Eg, you noticed something I don't think anyone else noticed (including the two wolves you mention): "Why did Orla FFA Nigel if it's true she suspected him of sending her the note?" If you have more confidence in your thoughts you'll be a seriously scary M-F to play against!

Drumpot wrote: »
    Only if the village don't go down rabbit holes like I always do . . :(

I knew there was at least one or two extra accounts in the game but wasnt sure in what capacity.

I semi doubted Wendy saying the pill thing until she was killed twice. I actually thought that at one stage that maybe her role was to confuse villagers (wolves go after twice) to leave this pill thing in the ether to confuse people (seems like the Winni role was the one I was after). .

Teagans random death by gunshot made me think that maybe Jeff had done that kill and could in effect sort of post a message like the SK (death by pill - gunshot etc). That made me doubt Clodagh and Brendan and Conor . :o

Also it didn't feel right jailing goodies, it was just weird.

I actually thought at one stage the baddies had revealed on thread as good (Clodagh, Brendan, Conor) and that they were effectively nullifying my power cause they were orchestrating who I give the power to and would know other villagers are exposed . .

I have been on wolf teams and I don't think we were as organised as this group in this game. The baddies played us like you would expect master criminals to toy with goodies . . Really well played . .

Two games in under a month is prob a bit too much for me. I really enjoy the game but I get way too intense and neglect way too many RL things . .

Sure give the vanilla game a miss and rest up for four weeks for Sopranos :p

• Advertisement

Honestly did not think the Winnie play would work. Fair play neccro for pulling it off.

Advertisement