Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

temporary tyre repair - bluetack?

Options
  • 21-09-2018 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

Had a pucnture this morning, was in a rush so pumped it and cycled in to work. I had a meeting first thing, after the meeting the tyre was flat but it got me in ok.

I went to replace tube, on inspecting the tyre there is a hole penetrating right through to the inside, which is I assume the source of the puncture. I want to cycle home, I can scavenge a tyre off another bike there. For the trip home is a bit of blue tack on the inside of the tyre to stop the tube forcing itself into the split a good idea? I am also thinkning i will reuse the punctured tube on the way home in case I puncture a fresh one using this tyre, so planning to put a bit of blue tack on the puncture to delay deflation.

Would i be better off just using tyre and tube as is - will the blue tack help or hinder? It has no sharp edges so i think it should help but grateful for any views/experience to the contrary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Fian wrote: »
    Had a pucnture this morning, was in a rush so pumped it and cycled in to work. I had a meeting first thing, after the meeting the tyre was flat but it got me in ok.

I went to replace tube, on inspecting the tyre there is a hole penetrating right through to the inside, which is I assume the source of the puncture. I want to cycle home, I can scavenge a tyre off another bike there. For the trip home is a bit of blue tack on the inside of the tyre to stop the tube forcing itself into the split a good idea? I am also thinkning i will reuse the punctured tube on the way home in case I puncture a fresh one using this tyre, so planning to put a bit of blue tack on the puncture to delay deflation.

Would i be better off just using tyre and tube as is - will the blue tack help or hinder? It has no sharp edges so i think it should help but grateful for any views/experience to the contrary

You can use a gel wrapper for this purpose, or something similar, perhaps gaffer tape, rather than blutack. I have used a gel wrapper before and it got me 80km home no bother, gaffer tape is probably a bit better thought as you can apply it thinner.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've heard of people using folded up bank notes for this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Weepsie wrote: »

Bleedin Southsiders....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I have used business cards in the past. Bluetak would be as much use as an arse with no hole

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I have used business cards in the past. Bluetak would be as much use as an arse with no hole

OK thanks all for advice. I will grab some sellotape, because that will be easier to put in place than a business card, but will try and put a card over it.

<10km home so if worst comes to worst i will only need to stop and pump it up again i expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Think that's where the use plastic coated bank notes.

Doing the Dying Cow actually finally made me cut up an old tyre for a few boots for the saddle bag. And this story actually has me thinking I actually must bring a patch kit into work as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Cleaned up toothpast tubes cut up into various sizes too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Old tube sections or even tyre sections are useful too. Basically anything thin but resilient and without any butting/sharp edges would do...

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

A couple of layers of electrical tape might suffice to prevent the tube from being forced through the hole might work. As for the tyre ? Its curtains, once the integrity of the tyre wall has been breached there's no long term solution other than a replacement,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Would you consider picking up a puncture repair kit and patching the tube? You can also patch the inside of the tyre with the big patch that usually comes in such a kit. That's pretty much a permanent repair...

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Think that's where the use plastic coated bank notes.

Doing the Dying Cow actually finally made me cut up an old tyre for a few boots for the saddle bag. And this story actually has me thinking I actually must bring a patch kit into work as well.

Was that you I met with two punctures in about 1km?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Cleaned up toothpast tubes cut up into various sizes too.
    I thought I was the only one who did that! It has come to the rescue of club mates several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

13 replies, on a Friday, and no one has told the OP he needs a new bike.

Standards are slipping.

We all told him to get a new tyre though ;)
    Still recession mindsets ....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

cdaly_ wrote:
    Was that you I met with two punctures in about 1km?
    Not this time. I had 3 punctures before shankill in the Mick Byrne though! So I was prepared this time - extra tube, extra co2, Tyre boot. Already carried a park patch kit

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

50s are best in my experience, although 200s are not far behind.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I thought I was the only one who did that! It has come to the rescue of club mates several times.

My repair kit always has a tyre boot in it, and it's some cut-up clean toothpaste tube material.

Old deck-chair fabric is good too.

Boots are only temporary repairs though.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Old deck-chair fabric is good too.

Jaysus, is it still 1978......

RobFowl wrote: »
    Jaysus, is it still 1978......
    Paul Morningstar sent me a tyre boot made out of old deck-chair material packaged with the product I'd ordered. I think it was a little courtesy he frequently did. Maybe he had a stock of deck chairs out the back of the workshop.

Rather sad end he met. He was lovely in emails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Wow, the story in that link took a turn I wasn't expecting.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Wow, the story in that link took a turn I wasn't expecting.

I was genuinely saddened to read it. My wife and I had both had email correspondences with him and found him very engaging and charming.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I've a boot in the back tyre of my commuter for 6 months now *crosses fingers* :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,690 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm so impressed with you lot. You're like a cross between MacGyver and Walter White.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'm so impressed with you lot. You're like a cross between MacGyver and Walter White.

Well not me.

I got home easily enough and changed the tube/tyre. As I was putting it back on the bike I somehow managed to shear off the rear derailleur hanger. €30 to replace a tiny little piece of soft metal and worse again I have to wait for it to arrive from teh internet, so I am on my son's bike this week.

Lesson learned - go gently when putting the wheel back on. I did not expect to break it like that at all. Pretty annoyed with the design tbh. I know the hanger is meant to give to protect the frame/Derailleur a bit like a fuse, but at that price it costs as much as a replacement derailleur....

And of course it is specific to the frame so orbea can charge what they want for it. It feels a bit like the bike is an apple product tbh.

Well not me.

I got home easily enough and changed the tube/tyre. As I was putting it back on the bike I somehow managed to shear off the rear derailleur hanger. €30 to replace a tiny little piece of soft metal and worse again I have to wait for it to arrive from teh internet, so I am on my son's bike this week.

Lesson learned - go gently when putting the wheel back on. I did not expect to break it like that at all. Pretty annoyed with the design tbh. I know the hanger is meant to give to protect the frame/Derailleur a bit like a fuse, but at that price it costs as much as a replacement derailleur....

And of course it is specific to the frame so orbea can charge what they want for it. It feels a bit like the bike is an apple product tbh.
    Derailleur Hangers for almost any bike...

Advertisement