Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet cpu cooler

Options
  • 21-09-2018 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Its well past time for a new cpu cooler on my pc, im hoping to get a replacement that will be quieter this time around as this one was always pretty loud, was a coolermaster,
    figured id ask on here as no manufacter is goin to admit there fans are loud so lookin for users experience on wats the quietest cpu coolers

My cpu is intel 4770k and its not overclocked so cooler doesnt need to deal with that but obviously if it was capable too, wud be a plus

also may well get a couple of new case fans too

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Noctua coolers are generally super quiet but Price, also the ever popular Coolermaster 212 evo is quiet and cheap. Got one recently and its very silent. I find watercoolers can be a bit noisey the pump and the fans. Its all about getting a efficient cooler that allows you to run the fans at a low speed even under heavy load.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Noctua and Be-quiet offer great air coolers that both cool very well and are very quiet. Depending on your case size some of their bigger coolers may not fit so it's something you will need to check out as well. The only real downside to either of the above apart from cost, is how god damm ugly the Noctua stock fans are and how much of a pain in the ass the Be-quite coolers are to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Instead of buying a new cooler, just buy a Noctua PWM fan from their Redux range.

Clean the old tower of dust & apply new thermal paste.

Cheaper & more environmentally sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Venom wrote: »
    Noctua and Be-quiet offer great air coolers that both cool very well and are very quiet. Depending on your case size some of their bigger coolers may not fit so it's something you will need to check out as well. The only real downside to either of the above apart from cost, is how god damm ugly the Noctua stock fans are and how much of a pain in the ass the Be-quite coolers are to install.

I got the beQuiet Dark Rock 3 and i'm genuinely ready to swap it out and get something else. I'm not convinced I've it mounted correctly (it's a bit looser than I'd like..) but it's just so god damn awkward to tighten and filled me with rage.

It looks great though..just wish there was an easier mounting solution! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Shlippery wrote: »
    I got the beQuiet Dark Rock 3 and i'm genuinely ready to swap it out and get something else. I'm not convinced I've it mounted correctly (it's a bit looser than I'd like..) but it's just so god damn awkward to tighten and filled me with rage.

It looks great though..just wish there was an easier mounting solution! frown.png

Might be worth your while checking Youtube for how to vids and re-mounting it, as no air cooler should really be loose if ya know what I mean. The Dark Rock 4 is said to have a better mounting system over previous Be-quiet coolers but it's still nowhere close to the ease of using the Noctua brackets. Noctua have all black coolers with new fans coming out at the end of the year, so worth waiting to see how they pan out imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭MADFI5H

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Instead of buying a new cooler, just buy a Noctua PWM fan from their Redux range.

this does sound a great idea, are you sure it would line up right with a coolermaster tower?, could you link 1 on amazon u think would work?

the mounting of mine drove me mad too last time i cleaned one of its 2nd set of clips broke, so i just got some long bolts and rubber washers i had from my case and bolted it right through the mobo mounting plate, much better job

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

I did this a couple of weeks ago, replacing a dead fan. Didn't have to remove the heatsink part from the CPU, just unclipped the fan and put the new one in. Loads of videos on it. Only thing to watch for is fan size, the one I replaced is 120mm on a Hyper 212 evo. I've another PC with a Hyper TX32 evo which is a 92mm fan.

MADFI5H wrote: »
    this does sound a great idea, are you sure it would line up right with a coolermaster tower?, could you link 1 on amazon u think would work?

the mounting of mine drove me mad too last time i cleaned one of its 2nd set of clips broke, so i just got some long bolts and rubber washers i had from my case and bolted it right through the mobo mounting plate, much better job

Which model is the Cooler Master tower?

All computer fans come in standardised sizes (common ones include 80, 92, 120, 140mm)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Also keep in mind that with a PWM fan on your existing cooler once you fix its mounting, you can set a new fan profile if your Bios supports or use Speedfan if it doesnt.

On my Bed-Station mITX PC with an i5 4570S with Speedfan, i rendered its stock intel cooler silent while maintaining the same idle temperature and positioning the fan speed ramp up curve beyond the temp that normal activity like browsing or 1440p youtube videos will push it. ie. The fan doesnt annoyingly ramp up and down everytime I load a new media heavy webpage for example. All the while the curve will ramp up the fan if I do something really taxing. For example, I ran Intel Burn Test on High Stress and the CPU settled at 3.2ghz @ 100% load across all cores and passed the test with a maximum temp of 75degC and the fan wasnt even running 100%.

• Advertisement

thats the same size as the one i linked, perhaps u looked at the case fan?
    the one i linked seems to focus on quiteness more

MADFI5H wrote: »
    thats the same size as the one i linked, perhaps u looked at the case fan?
    the one i linked seems to focus on quiteness more

The one you linked is a different size altogether; 140mm.

i linked 2 different fans as i am also looking for a couple 140mm fans for my case

this is the 1 i linked for the cooler https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bearing-Premium-Quality-NF-A9-PWM/dp/B00RUZ059O/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1537971214&sr=1-1&keywords=Noctua+PWM+fan+92 if u scroll to product information it says dimensions: 9.2 x 2.5 x 9.2 cm

sorry for any confusion, i appreciate the help

Ah I see now.
    The one you linked has more airflow potential due to its higher max RPM. Up to you if that's worth an extra fiver :)

xNUABer.png

oh i didnt see noise lvl on the 1 you linked but there it looks significantly lower so il be going with your suggestion, thx dude

Advertisement