Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netatmo v Nest

• 21-09-2018 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭

Currently an energia customer but co tract ends next week. Looking at getting a smart controlled thermostat. Have looked up both the nest and netatmo but cant really decide which one is best? Can anyone chime in?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 FOTW

I did allot of research into this when we purchased our house last year. I had to replace all the radiators and valves, due to the old ones having rotted through. Also the retail shop I work for sells Nest, Hive and Energenie systems.

After having read and viewed loads of reviews on all the brands, Netatmo included In the end I decided that the simple timer system worked best for us. However if I was to go for a system I would have been the Netatmo thermostat in conjunction with their smart radiator valves or the Tado system. With both these systems you can control the exact temperature of each room, this way it will only call for heat for the one room that may need the heat.

While the nest tends to call for heat for the entire house. From our customers experience using the nest the majority of customers saw their heating bills increase as the nest tended to call for heat much more often then their old timer systems.

For example one customer used to have their heating come on 30 minutes before they arrived home from work, with the nest system they had the temp set to 20 degrees and the heating system came on just over an hour before they got home so that the hall way were the thermostat was located was 20 degrees, even though the rest of the rooms were warm enough.

At least with the Netatmo you can set the temperature per room with each of the valves, does cost more though.

Plenty of reviews online youtube etc for these systems. Look for the reviews living Netatmo/Nest 6 or 12 months on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

FOTW wrote: »
    I did allot of research into this when we purchased our house last year. I had to replace all the radiators and valves, due to the old ones having rotted through. Also the retail shop I work for sells Nest, Hive and Energenie systems.

After having read and viewed loads of reviews on all the brands, Netatmo included In the end I decided that the simple timer system worked best for us. However if I was to go for a system I would have been the Netatmo thermostat in conjunction with their smart radiator valves or the Tado system. With both these systems you can control the exact temperature of each room, this way it will only call for heat for the one room that may need the heat.

While the nest tends to call for heat for the entire house. From our customers experience using the nest the majority of customers saw their heating bills increase as the nest tended to call for heat much more often then their old timer systems.

For example one customer used to have their heating come on 30 minutes before they arrived home from work, with the nest system they had the temp set to 20 degrees and the heating system came on just over an hour before they got home so that the hall way were the thermostat was located was 20 degrees, even though the rest of the rooms were warm enough.

At least with the Netatmo you can set the temperature per room with each of the valves, does cost more though.

Plenty of reviews online youtube etc for these systems. Look for the reviews living Netatmo/Nest 6 or 12 months on.

Cheers for the review! Those radiator valves certainly aint cheap, about 87euro for one! Ill make enqs with energia as i think theres a free netatmo offer going!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

Hi,

I'm completely ignorant to how these things work and the energia/nest sites are not great for explaining.

I live in an apartment. I am only concerned with being able to remotely control two electric heaters (Lucht) which I had installed 4-5 years ago.

All I want to be able to do is switch one or both on 30 mins before I come home.

I am with Energia. Am I suitable for Netatmo?

Thanks in advance.

Energia told me my setup wouldnt qualify for netatmo (something to do with being abke to heat water separately to the boiler) so im back to the drawing board, its between nest and hive now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Energia told me my setup wouldnt qualify for netatmo (something to do with being abke to heat water separately to the boiler) so im back to the drawing board, its between nest and hive now!

They told me something similar. So I had a mate look at it and he said it shouldn't be a problem.

Gave Energia a call back and asked them to send someone out to look at it and hey presto, I have a Netatmo.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think the netatmo only works for one zone? Energia said there was no point giving us one too because we have three zones (hot water/upstairs/downstairs)

What way have you it set up Slattsy?

Slattsy wrote: »
    They told me something similar. So I had a mate look at it and he said it shouldn't be a problem.

Gave Energia a call back and asked them to send someone out to look at it and hey presto, I have a Netatmo.

I was speaking with another woman today beforw i saw this and she had echoed the same point. Im out of contract now so will likely switch towards electric ireland and nest

This is the boiler I have if any plumbing expert can assist?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think the netatmo only works for one zone? Energia said there was no point giving us one too because we have three zones (hot water/upstairs/downstairs)

What way have you it set up Slattsy?

This sounds a bit mad but I phoned Energia today, explained all I wanted to do was to be able to control electric radiator in my living room and bedroom with an app and nothing else, no water etc.

They said that Netatmo is not suitable but then the guy on the line mentioned another multizone product which initially has a cost of €1,400 or so but then he mentioned 2 different grants and the price somehow drops to €249, the exact same as Netatmo.

I was pretty shocked and asked him to confirm the price and that it includes installation etc. He said he did and a technician is booked to come out on Monday morning to meet me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 FOTW

Cotts72 wrote: »
    I was speaking with another woman today beforw i saw this and she had echoed the same point. Im out of contract now so will likely switch towards electric ireland and nest

I would be dubious installing the nest system for European central heating systems, they are more designed for American central heating were you set the temperature for the entire house.

The verge explain why towards the end of this article.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/2/17927274/nest-thermostat-e-uk-price-release-date-installation-heating

• Advertisement

FOTW wrote: »
    I would be dubious installing the nest system for European central heating systems, they are more designed for American central heating were you set the temperature for the entire house.

The verge explain why towards the end of this article.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/2/17927274/nest-thermostat-e-uk-price-release-date-installation-heating

interesting read,most nest reviews Ive come across seem positive! I had looked at the hive aswell which looks great but it doesn't have the adaptive features of the nest.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    This sounds a bit mad but I phoned Energia today, explained all I wanted to do was to be able to control electric radiator in my living room and bedroom with an app and nothing else, no water etc.

They said that Netatmo is not suitable but then the guy on the line mentioned another multizone product which initially has a cost of €1,400 or so but then he mentioned 2 different grants and the price somehow drops to €249, the exact same as Netatmo.

I was pretty shocked and asked him to confirm the price and that it includes installation etc. He said he did and a technician is booked to come out on Monday morning to meet me!

How did you get on with the technician visit out of interest?

How did you get on with the technician visit out of interest?

Booked for 10:30am this Monday. Will keep you posted.

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    Booked for 10:30am this Monday. Will keep you posted.

Ah cheers, thought it was the Monday gone.

I ended up going with bord gais and the hive! Although the nest appealed its self learning wouldnt have suited my shift work patterns! The whole hive smart hub and products look impressive

Ah cheers, thought it was the Monday gone.

I had two guys call out to Energia. Turns out that system does not work on electric heaters so complete waste of mine and their time. I specifically told the guy on the phone they were electric heaters.

I phoned Smart Electric who i bought the Lucht electric heaters off. He said they can change the controllers on each heater for 100e each plus 160e for the controller/unit whatever it's called to enable me to control temperatures with an app.

Still trying to figure out if it would be cost effective. If I save 20e a month over the 5-6 months I have heating on it would take 3 years to pay off. Will I even be living in my apt in 3 years?

The idea of coming back to a warm apartment in the depths of winter is very appealing all the same!

Cheers for the update! We've a standard oil burner set up so i might chance giving them a ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Ah rats. I've 3 zones also. So Netatmo no good.

Advertisement