Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back up to Cloud?

Options
  • 21-09-2018 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi

I set up a business 6 months ago and thankfully it's going well. We are in the healthcare sector, we take records of people on paper files and I also have them on my computer through a software package designed for the sector.

I haven't been doing external backups and I know I should be. Can someone tell me what I should be doing with regards to this? I know I could get an external hard drive and back up but I want something off site just in case. I'm reckoning backing to a Cloud service is what I need but I don't know what to go for or what service to use?

I'd appreciate any advice. We're not taking huge volumes of information, so far we have 230 records on file since we opened. All paper files are held in a locked fireproof cabinet at present.

Thanks for reading
    Larko

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DaveJoyce

larko wrote: »
    Hi

I set up a business 6 months ago and thankfully it's going well. We are in the healthcare sector, we take records of people on paper files and I also have them on my computer through a software package designed for the sector.

I haven't been doing external backups and I know I should be. Can someone tell me what I should be doing with regards to this? I know I could get an external hard drive and back up but I want something off site just in case. I'm reckoning backing to a Cloud service is what I need but I don't know what to go for or what service to use?

I'd appreciate any advice. We're not taking huge volumes of information, so far we have 230 records on file since we opened. All paper files are held in a locked fireproof cabinet at present.

Thanks for reading
    Larko

Hi Larko

Depending on the type of database your software is using you could go as simple as DropBox\Google Drive and have a batch file that runs after hours to copy the database to the Cloud Drive with is syncing over night.

If the software is designed for the industry they might already have an external cloud back up option

If you want to DM me with more details I might be able to help more

Regards
    Dave

Dave

Turbo Inventory ERP

Helping you sell more, more often

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As you are in the healthcare sector, ensuring that the personal data is protected and secured is of utmost importance (e.g as per the GDPR). You will need to ensure that your contract with any cloud provider contains clauses to ensure data privacy. Have you also completed a personal data inventory and other GDPR actions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 QQBy

Hi, I would suggest to signup for a Google Cloud account. You will receive 300 USD free credit for one year, which is more than enough.
    Depending on how often you will access the backup, there is Coldline(once per year) and Nearline(a few times per month) backup tiers.
    With just a few command lines that will be given to you after setting up your backup service within Google, you have a working backup in accordance with all the data protection laws out there.
    Even if the credit expires one day, backup is really cheap as we (customers) are facing a price war towards zero at the moment.

Advertisement