Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Belgian Blue

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Who2

Would the British type crossed with BF give the ideal suckler cow?

No you added bf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Some turnaround. A miserable looking calf in all honesty

Ya she was I agree with you. But I'd restrict the cows pre calving allot more then most lads. Starting about 2months out and go more severe in the last 3 to 6 weeks depending on the cow. They tend to take allot more of the mineral lick aswell with a bit of hunger on um.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Out of interest what bulls do you run with the simmentals, and are you breeding for beef or replacement market???

SIM bulls, breeding for replacement market. I've Heifers going to the ballymote and gort sale. They pay well but you take a hit on the bulls. I've bought a nice young Ch bull to use on everything next year. I think you get paid as much if not more on bulls and heifers as weanlings if done right by the Ch. My cows push my SIM bulls into 460/500 kg with 5 weeks of meal. I'm interested to see how I get on with the Ch. He is by a dovea bull that was by domino, name escapes me now but looks like a good muscle maker.

The way the year landed made me think about the whole farming and pushing numbers and becoming vounerable with weather and tight on silages. I got a bit stung last winter. I've dropped numbers and bought a handful of pedigree lims and IV a few pedigree sims. Going forward I think I will keep things simple and hopefully breed a smaller number of quality pedigree animals. I don't think that there is a huge difference in money when you add everything up like extra meal, straws, royalty frees, semen testing, holding longer etc but I'll have less calving and more dry stock. There's savage work with cows especially when working and family have to by done too. I really love suckler cows and breeding so I'll never get out of them but definitely not going to be looking for farmer of the year by pushing things to the max anymore. Sorry for going off topic 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Hedge your bets lads and go for as charolais outta a blue.

Her brother here seen last week. Belonging to a friend. Born naturally aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Took this fella for a walk today, as he was getting lazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUDNnBkGufY&list=PL56C4B64B4D98EFF6&index=3&t=0s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭TPF2012

He wouldn't survive long on my farm. Functionality not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭anthony500_1

Serious stock. I've not much more than bad cattle when you see pictures like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭valtra2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUDNnBkGufY&list=PL56C4B64B4D98EFF6&index=3&t=0s

Sweet mother of Jesus

Hes a smashing calf. Don't mind Patsy he's to fond of them auld narrow Angus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Ideal suckler cow imo is never going to have 50% friesian in it

Have to disagree with you there. If I had a choice between a 50%fr cow and a 50% CH cow I’d go for the Fr cow more often than not. For me the 50/50bluexfr is the best cow you can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Nice shed patsy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Great thread. Keep it going. Some super cattle. I am part time farming and I breed stores and the only option I can see is red lim. I would love to breed charolais but not possible in my situation. Nothing else will get you a fair price in the mart the west

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Great thread. Keep it going. Some super cattle. I am part time farming and I breed stores and the only option I can see is red lim. I would love to breed charolais but not possible in my situation. Nothing else will get you a fair price in the mart the west

Yellow charolais cow with lim bull will give you golden calf ,could register as ch then

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

BB bull calf went 3.88 per kg and a heifer 3.37 per kg in Ballina today. I got out at the wrong time!!

RobinBanks wrote: »
    BB bull calf went 3.88 per kg and a heifer 3.37 per kg in Ballina today. I got out at the wrong time!!

Weights? Great money

• Advertisement

Weights? Great money

Bull was 250 heifer 340. Nice CH bull 390kg made 1165. Just under €3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭Grueller

Grueller wrote: »
    Titanium, sorry about the slow reply. Was at a wedding yesterday and sure you know the rest.

First photo is a blue heifer off a lim x blue cow. Photo does nothing for her. She is possibly my best ever heifer even if she could do with a little more length.

2nd photo is a pair of blues off a pair of limo cows. The two dams are actually twins.

3rd photo is a 3/4 bred limo mother and a blue bull calf.

Heifer number 1 now sold.
    €3.81 per kilo.

Seen a BB bull 330kg make 1165€ in Ballina today. Just 2 blue bulls for sale.

I sold some lim bulls and part bulls. Best price was 2.85 for a lim bull. Worst was 2.4 for a part. Got very bad money for the part bulls but they were poor quality. Very bare, lanky and mental. They had muscle but not enough to paper over the obvious cracks.

The blues are still a good trade by the looks of things but Char is king around here. Today confirmed that for me. Some crazy prices for yellow char bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Seen a BB bull 330kg make 1165€ in Ballina today. Just 2 blue bulls for sale.

I sold some lim bulls and part bulls. Best price was 2.85 for a lim bull. Worst was 2.4 for a part. Got very bad money for the part bulls but they were poor quality. Very bare, lanky and mental. They had muscle but not enough to paper over the obvious cracks.

The blues are still a good trade by the looks of things but Char is king around here. Today confirmed that for me. Some crazy prices for yellow char bulls.

Hi robin ,
    What kind of prices did the yellows go?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Tyson Lannister

I'll have to try fly the flag for the parthenaise! 2 pedigree heifers I bought last year. They will be 2 years old in April

• Advertisement

sonnybill wrote: »
    Hi robin ,
    What kind of prices did the yellows go?

Around 3.20kg average.calves were anywhere from 350 to 420kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Around 3.20kg average.calves were anywhere from 350 to 420kg

The best of luck to the buyer to try and make a few bob on them.

Going to try this lad during the week. Expectations arent that high though...:confused:
    463728.jpg
    463727.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

Going to try this lad during the week. Expectations arent that high though...:confused:
    463728.jpg
    463727.jpg

Fine animal. What age and weight would you think he would be..?

Fine animal. What age and weight would you think he would be..?

8 months 400kg

463728.jpg
    463727.jpg

valtra2 wrote: »

Think your 150 off but what do i know

The calfs worth the bones of 12hundred alright. He's only 8months. If he doesn't make close to it I'd be hanging onto him. What's he off by the way

He is but going by this year you just never know.

The calfs worth the bones of 12hundred alright. He's only 8months. If he doesn't make close to it I'd be hanging onto him. What's he off by the way

Bbq x shapey limo 2nd calver

• Advertisement

463728.jpg
    463727.jpg

400kg 1100. As good as what was got i suppose

400kg 1100. As good as what was got i suppose

He was a cracking calf to be fair to you. 400kgs at 8 months. Good going by the cow. He still came into 2.75 a kilo.

He was a cracking calf to be fair to you. 400kgs at 8 months. Good going by the cow. He still came into 2.75 a kilo.

Plus I meant to say, he's gone now and not coming back so don't be tormenting yourself thinking you let him go to easy. You never know he could have turned his 4legs up to the sky on you in a months time.

Plus I meant to say, he's gone now and not coming back so don't be tormenting yourself thinking you let him go to easy. You never know he could have turned his 4legs up to the sky on you in a months time.

I dont really think about them in that regard tbh. 1100 is a good price for a calf in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Suckler farmer

I was thinking of buying a few Belgian blue dairy cross heifers and letting our Aubrac bull run with them in June. Is their pelvis smaller that other breeds or is this just a myth?

I was thinking of buying a few Belgian blue dairy cross heifers and letting our Aubrac bull run with them in June. Is their pelvis smaller that other breeds or is this just a myth?

I have blue cows here off limousin mothers. I then bull these to a blue from their 2nd calf on. No problem calving them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Is it worth using the small BB that the dairymen use on heifers? I've been putting the Saler AI to the heifers at the moment. Afaik hasn't the market for those BB disappeared when they stopped exporting to Italy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

The easy calving BB bulls that are used on dairy cows aren't suitable for suckler heifers imo, unless you want plenty of bother calving them.
    You could use an easy calving Lim on them if you want a change from the Salers.
    LM 2014 is the best Lim bull for heifers i think.

Is it worth using the small BB that the dairymen use on heifers? I've been putting the Saler AI to the heifers at the moment. Afaik hasn't the market for those BB disappeared when they stopped exporting to Italy?

Absolutely not. I got €1190 for 292 kgs last September. 350kgs for €1350 and they were twins.
    The blue is king of the ring at the weanling sales around here anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Farm365

tanko wrote: »
    The easy calving BB bulls that are used on dairy cows aren't suitable for suckler heifers imo, unless you want plenty of bother calving them.
    You could use an easy calving Lim on them if you want a change from the Salers.
    LM 2014 is the best Lim bull for heifers i think.

Why isn’t the easy calving BB suitable for suckler heifers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭jfh

I run a lim bull on bb dairy Cross heifers, no problem calving, don't think they have the longevity though

Farm365 wrote: »
    stanflt wrote: »
    Using bb here also- just had a lovely bull calf @58kgs- mother up licking in seconds- calf already sold and will go at day 14
    60kilo calfs out of springers would be fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Sadly in allot of cases easy calving bulls (no matter the breed) can have daughters narrow at the hips

When you put a BB bull on a dairy cow there's no muscle coming from the cow so the calf usually won't be too muscled when it's born.

If you put a BB bull on a suckler heifer you're going to have muscle coming from the heifer as well as the bull so could end up with a well muscled calf with a big end that the heifer won't be able to calve.

Sadly in allot of cases easy calving bulls (no matter the breed) can have daughters narrow at the hips

I think that's a bit of a myth.
    I've had cows off easy calving bulls like Highlander, Ionesco, On-Dit, Milbrook tanko, Ozeus, Pirate, Rio, Kilkelly Duke, Earp etc that have very good calving ability.

• Advertisement

I've had cows off easy calving bulls like Highlander, Ionesco, On-Dit, Milbrook tanko, Ozeus, Pirate, Rio, Kilkelly Duke, Earp etc that have very good calving ability.

U look at top 50 bulls for daughter calving ability, very few are fit for heifers. Ice cream, tvr, CWI ,adx ,tomschoice jet, mbp, joskins are all in it, no sign of eby ,Ivor or zag or fiston. Only one saler in top 50 , more than 20 charolais

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

From my own experience
    I’ve saw 2yo Charolais heifers calve to the Charolais bull without issue
    I helped with sections on AA heifers who couldn’t calve to the AA

When I am choosing a bull hopefully of a daughter I look at daughters calving figures not the bulls Calving difficulty

Advertisement