Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Jacket Suggestions

Options
  • 21-09-2018 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Afternoon Folks,

Looking to get a running jacket that will keep me reasonably dry ( i dont mind running in the rain) but more importantly i would like not be in a puddle of sweat afterwards.

have bought a few cheap ones over the years and have always regretted buying them

time to get a decent one now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

In my experience none of them work! Better to take the soaking and dry naturally, I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I picked up a higherstate trail running jacket last year and it’s been great. Tested it out on many hill runs including up Djouce in heavy rain. After an hour you do get sweat building up on the inside, but unless you want to pay a lot more for the likes of OMM it’s grand

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/hst1221/higher-state-trail-waterproof-lite-jacket/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OMM-Kamleika-Race-Jacket-Running/dp/B07CK3GRZ6?th=1&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The Columbia outdry stuff is pretty decent, more breathable than anything else I've tried. I have the heavier version for cycling, they also have a light weight version which looks more suitable for running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I have the ASICS Accelerate since last year. Hadn’t worn it all Summer but was pouring Saturday so took it out again. It’s not as breathable as I’d like so I just wore a singlet underneath and off I went. I was quite comfortable as it was under 10 degrees but had to abandon my run after 4 miles and walk back to the car in the pouring rain and I felt damp then. My top was actually dry though when I got back to the car and took the jacket off.

The upshot is I find it great when the temperature is under approx 10 degrees. During the winter I wore it loads on very cold days with long sleeves underneath and the sweat never bothered me. Once or twice the sun came out and I’d need to take the jacket off but found it very light tied around my waist.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 geezerbutler

Hi folks - I am relatively new to running - was wondering if the cycling gear for sale in Aldi next Sunday would be suitable for running - they have, among other things, merino wool base layers (short and long sleeve) and cycling rain jackets - apologies I cannot post link as have not clocked up enough posts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The Merino wool stuff should be good. The cycling jacket might be a bit uncomfortable fitting for running. They tend to be longer at the back than the front and also heavier so overheating could be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Murph_D wrote: »
    In my experience none of them work! Better to take the soaking and dry naturally, I find.

Brooks do a real good one, about 70 euro. But it won't keep you completey dry but will stop most of it and the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 18 geezerbutler

Stark wrote: »
    The Merino wool stuff should be good. The cycling jacket might be a bit uncomfortable fitting for running. They tend to be longer at the back than the front and also heavier so overheating could be an issue.
    Thanks Stark. I will buy some of those Merino wool base layers in Aldi tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,893 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Any good sleeveless rain jackets out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Any good sleeveless rain jackets out there?

I got one in Decathlon but in heavy rain it doesn’t keep me dry as comes in by my shoulders / arms anyway. It is good for light drizzle though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement