Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading/New PC

Options
  • 21-09-2018 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭

Hi

I built my pc around 2010. No real reason to upgrade but just want to :D

1. What is your budget? Around €500

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Just general use, maybe some games but just like Football Manager and Civ, don't think there'll be anything too taxing.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Not yet.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? I could use the case and hard drives. Don't need a disc drive.

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? Have 2 x 22" 1080P monitors. Not going to upgrade now but might change to a bigger single monitor.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Not bothered.

8. How can you pay? Credit Card. Have a standing order throwing £10 a week into Amazon to spread out the cost. But don't have to buy everything there.

9. When are you purchasing? No rush.

My current set up is an i3. It's so old the model number is only 3 digits long so 1st generation core. :D

Was looking at a newer i3 or i5 but a friend recommended AMD. I don't mind which, AMD seem to more bang for your buck?

I'm hoping to use a small case and motherboard, mini-itx? Because of this I'd be looking at m.2 SSD and modular psu.

I also have a graphics card which I can use in the new build. Can't remember which one but basic enough. I bought it so I could use both HD monitors.

Comments

Advertisement