Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpleasant Odour from Shower Drain

• 21-09-2018 6:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. There is an unpleasant odour from the drain in my shower. It's never used, as I have a second bathroom and use that one. I poured a bottle of Mr. Muscle odour remover, and then some bathroom bleach, but it doesn't seem to help. Any ideas please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭flossy1

put a sink stopper in it for a cheap fix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

We get it too when we have high winds . We have discovered that if we pour a bucket of water down it seems to take rhe smell with it . Something to do with drying out of the pipe work
    I pour water then use a wet wipe over the outlet when the wind is high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

Run hot water for period. Might clear it, it maybe being dead mouse or someit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Latro

It smells because as you mention it is never used.
    There should be water in the trap that stops any odor from waste pipe system being pushed up. You don't use it so the water dries out eventually and let the smell into the bathroom. Pour some water into it occasionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Thanks for your comments. I'll try all those recommendations. I also am going to have a plumber over for another job that I just discovered that I needed done. Lots of housing constructions going on here at the moment - so I'm not sure if getting one will be as easy as it was a year or so ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Small drop of white vinegar once a week or whenever you smell it. As another poster said, run the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sami2015

Other posters have probably nailed it in saying that you can solve the problem by pouring water down it to fill the water trap.

As an aside the water can dry out... but it can also be "sucked" out of the trap if the shower is connected into the sewer pipe from the toilet.... essentially a negative pressure is created once the waste moves after flushing the toilet and this can cause a % of the water to be removed each time the toilet is flushed. This can accelerate the process of lack of water in the trap and thus the bad smell you experience.

I'm back again guys. I've tried everything; baking soda and vinegar; running water for 15 minutes; Mr. Muscle etc, but I think it's a more serious problem than I imagined, because the bad smell keeps coming back. Do ye think I should have a drain blockage company look at it? There is one in the area but I'm not sure if they do domestic problems or larger sewage stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sami2015

Hi Phater,
    is there water in the trap?
    => If not there should be (since the traps rely on having water in them to stop the gases coming back up from the public sewer).

=> If there is then there is either not enough (some traps have holes/slots which need to be covered, some have an bend which must be fully full to seal properly) or the smell is coming in somewhere else....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

It is just possible that a clump of decomposing hair/bodily scrapings has blocked the drain at some place:

have you tried the simple method of poking a wire (with the end bent into a hook) down the drain hole, and fishing around/tugging upwards? (I always use bent hairpins, opened paperclips, or florists wire)

Also, have you looked at gulleys and soil drains outside the house? (I mean, to make sure if this is the only blockage...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

More often than not when I hear of these problems I find that the inner sleeve is missing from the trap.
    This forms an integral part of the trap as it has an O ring to create a seal at the top as well as sitting below the water line to prevent gases escaping.
    Have you checked if the sleeve is in place and that the O ring is in good condition.
    Otherwise there may be a hairline fracture causing the problem.
    Btw, you are wasting your time and money with most of those products.

Thanks for all the great responses. My neighbour tells me that he has the same problem and so a drain company will be coming to look at the main drain where the problem seems to be originating. So hopefully that will solve it.

Advertisement