Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old Rolex - Fake or Real

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

wow this is an unreal story . love it . delighted for you man congrats :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

I’ll give you 6000 cash tomorrow. No tax. No auction house charge. Problem solved.

So when is the auction? Can we all go as supporters? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

I love this story. Good news for the poster. Christmas will be good for the seller.:-)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I just can't believe he didn't even reply to my very genuine offer of 20 quid. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Gorteen

New Home wrote: »
    I just can't believe he didn't even reply to my very genuine offer of 20 quid. :(

It was briefly in the running... but alas, it needs a k at the end to satisfy me and Paschal :eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Gah, you're soooo greedy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

aaakev wrote: »
    This was fun until revenue were brought up.... op sell the watch and enjoy the money and whatever ya do, dont call revenue......

This..

A mod should move the CGT discussion to a new thread. In the future anyone who reads this soon to be "thread of the year" will be in for a huge buzz kill near the end of reading :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Gorteen wrote: »
    It was briefly in the running... but alas, it needs a k at the end to satisfy me and Paschal :eek:

Still available OP?
    I'll give you €25ok ?

Just Kidding,
    Best luck.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

sparrowcar wrote: »
    This..

A mod should move the CGT discussion to a new thread. In tge future anyone who reads this soon to be "thread of the year" will be in for a huge buzz kill near the end of reading :)
    Yeah, buzz kill indeed. The posts have been moved to a new thread. No more on this one about revenue or any of that stuff.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Great story and best of luck!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Right, it seems my previous heads up went over a few heads. I've deleted 19 posts of nonsense. NO MORE of this back and forth guff about payment methods. Or silly "offers". It wasn't funny the first time. If someone feels the need to talk about that, there's a Tax thread you can post in to your hearts content.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I have not been round these parts in some time and am delighted for you OP. Great news!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Any update?

I would love to hear you got a fortune for it, and went on a holiday etc.. :)

Hope that happens.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    He only got it back the other day

Sorry, I didn't see that, and assumed deleted posts were why it was poping up on my updates.

I will look back over it now.

New Home wrote: »
    Am I the only one who can't see it? :(

No. I can't see it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Suckit wrote: »
    No. I can't see it either.

Post 102

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Gorteen wrote: »
    Pic quality not the best :(

464133.jpg

Post 102 doesn't show it, quoted it above for all to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Post 102 doesn't show it, quoted it above for all to see.

This is why I said #102:

Originally Posted by Suckit View Post
    Any update?

I would love to hear you got a fortune for it, and went on a holiday etc..

Hope that happens.

• Advertisement

Thanks, The picture didn't show for some reason, just a blank post but I see it in the quote.

I would be a bad antique hunter. That watch doesn't look like much to me (sorry). I don't get it. But wish OP all the best things :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Suckit wrote: »
    Thanks, The picture didn't show for some reason, just a blank post but I see it in the quote.

I would be a bad antique hunter. That watch doesn't look like much to me (sorry). I don't get it. But wish OP all the best things :).

Same, wouldn't like it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

god dam sorry I am late to the thread,

man you should have left the original crystal in place it was much more valuable with the original crystal where is the original? ask for that back asap.

this is a great find, pity you got the crystal changed, collectors go crazy for ones in that condition, all those scratches is called patina and if they could tell a story.

I hope you can retrieve the original crystal, you are probably looking at + a few grand just for that.

Excellent find and congratulations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Kuva wrote: »
    Same, wouldn't like it at all.

Its funny cause the Milgauss sold very poorly at the time, and even today they are not the most sought after of the sports stainless rolex. But for that very reason they are rare as hens teeth. Agree on the crystal, OP did you get advice on what the collectors want? Its a very specific collector will want that watch (I would love it myself) but they will have all sorts of unusual wishes regarding originality etc.

All origional and full set I have seen one of these fetch north of 50k in auction. That was a few years ago.

It is actually worth alot more in full original condition than having polishing,crystal changed etc. But as I said I hope you can get the original crystal back. At least the dial is still original. Do not send this back to RSC because they will whip out that dial and replace, as a rule of thumb never send vintage pieces back to RSC.

You said it was not working correct, my concern is the watch maker replaced some of the parts in the movement, this also effects value. You need to find out exactly what was done and changed and request all original parts be returned to you. Hope it's not too late.

In the condition it was in before repairs I would put estimate of North 20k close to 30.

In current condition low/mid 20k.

All the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

I assume it is the original crystal? These are plexi I think so assume it was only polished up?

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    I assume it is the original crystal? These are plexi I think so assume it was only polished up?

I'd say it was replaced, the original was cracked.

See https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108153308&postcount=41

Look more like scratches? Look pretty deep though so not sure if these would have polished out.

Looks like a crack to me on left. You can see the contours it resembles a crack. It's a real pity if it was changed. That crack added so much patina and character.

The watch maker should have advised you to leave it origional even polishing is a big no. Vintage pieces like these are so rare any decent watch maker would know to leave well alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

For the people with no idea about vintage watches (like me) this is hard to understand. A cracked original crystal is more desirable than a new one?
    In the photo it's not just one crack either. Around the 11 mark there's a few, probably a few more at the 12 and one at the 3.
    It looks like if you took it out the crystal would fall apart. Even in this condition is it considered desirable?

Yes absolutely correct. Origional battered is more desirable because it is called Patina.

Cienciano wrote: »
    For the people with no idea about vintage watches (like me) this is hard to understand. A cracked original crystal is more desirable than a new one?
    In the photo it's not just one crack either. Around the 11 mark there's a few, probably a few more at the 12 and one at the 3.
    It looks like if you took it out the crystal would fall apart. Even in this condition is it considered desirable?

• Advertisement

It's very frustrating to see what the watch maker did to this lovely Milgause. It baffles me why he would do this. He should have advised the OP. It is the job of watch maker to advise especially on vintage Rolex. It's adds a huge amount of value to retain origional.

I will stop posting because it makes me sad to see a rare piece like this stripped of its story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

A+-Guru wrote: »
    It's very frustrating to see what the watch maker did to this lovely Milgause. It baffles me why he would do this. He should have advised the OP. It is the job of watch maker to advise especially on vintage Rolex. It's adds a huge amount of value to retain origional.

At the risk of being seen as a devils advocate maybe the watch repair service did as it's customer asked. If you are in the business of providing watch repairs and servicing it isn't going to be very profitable to be refusing customer instructions and declining to carry out the requested repair.

I guess it depends whether the OP merely sent the watch to the repair service and asked them to provide a quote to get the watch repaired and back into full working order or whether he asked them for their opinion on what needed or should be done to maximise it's resale value.

If the former occurred then the repair service could easily and justifiably have taken the instruction to mean the OP wanted to get the watch back to being worn on a regular basis hence the need to replace the crystal etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

A+-Guru wrote: »
    Yes absolutely correct. Origional battered is more desirable because it is called Patina.

And what is the buyer gonna do with a patinaed up watch?

Come on, it had to be repaired!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Sell it for maximum price.

Yes if the OP wanted it to be a functioning wearable watch which would be totally justifiable if it was a family heir loom or somehow highly sentimental but not if he wanted to maximise it's resale value apparently.

Sorry you do not understand vintage collectable Rolex. It's just the way it is. Origional beaten up commands high price in collector world. Originality is the most sought after regardless of condition. Have you ever heard of the Dirty Dozen? A collection of watches made and used during the world war. Some of them are barely recognisable dials and still command huge prices in auctions.

Who would like to devalue there watch by 5 or 10k because they want to wear it and make it look nice. For that money one could buy another new Rolex.

What we have here is a very different beast than a normal Rolex. It's a very very rare piece. And will keep going up in value in the years ahead.

He bought it at a car boot sale 10 years ago. If you take time to read all thread.

I am confident he wants to maximize resale value.

Sell it for maximum price.

Yes if the OP wanted it to be a functioning wearable watch which would be totally justifiable if it was a family heir loom or somehow highly sentimental but not if he wanted to maximise it's resale value apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

Could the owner not just scratch up the new glass and re break the bracelet and then it will be worth 10 grand more?
    Or can the experts tell a fake break from a real break?
    Or how about if I kick my nicely restored GMT up and down the yard a few times, will it be worth more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Seems to be a notion here that a collector with 20-50k to drop on a old watch doesnt know what they want or why they want it. They are not stupid, likely have a bank deposit box of similar expensive watches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

hi5 wrote: »
    Could the owner not just scratch up the new glass and re break the bracelet and then it will be worth 10 grand more?
    Or can the experts tell a fake break from a real break?
    Or how about if I kick my nicely restored GMT up and down the yard a few times, will it be worth more?

Definitely, go do that, post the before and after pics and wait until the dollar bills come rolling in....!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I dont recall all these experts telling him not to restore it before he did it? Might have been nice to warn him like...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Thargor wrote: »
    I dont recall all these experts telling him not to restore it before he did it? Might have been nice to warn him like...

Post #60.... Just saying......

Post 23, 29, 42, 50, 55, 58, 60, 61, 62,

Might be nice to read the thread.

Was definitely mentioned. I learned a lot from this thread, and I remember reading that it is best to keep cracked screen, broken bracelet etc.. For a collector.

Post 23, 29, 42, 50, 55, 58, 60, 61, 62,

Might be nice to read the thread.
    It was more "be careful with the restoration" type posts, no real warnings. I did read the thread by the way, are those just numbers you made up for the sake of being snarky? None of them are actually warning him he was about to do 10k worth of damage to it, a lot of the ones you list contain nothing of substance at all, Post 29 for example:
    KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    In the first two photos the seconds hand is in different positions... So not completely stopped?
    Might be nice to have a read of your own posts before you hit submit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I've no idea why you've quoted me there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

Don't touch it... Sell it as is!!
    carefully, it can be restored to maintain a certain amount of original patina. Take it to an expert and they will advise what the market expects, the 1019's on chrono24 are all in very good condition so some restoration must have been done.

These posts are quite clear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

You wanna playbwerewolf ?

He was using post #29 (the one I quoted) as an example of the OP being warned not to do what he did, I dont understand it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Jack Moore wrote: »
    You wanna playbwerewolf ?

Sorry, I'm not single

>.>

• Advertisement

It was more "be careful with the restoration" type posts, no real warnings. I did read the thread by the way, are those just numbers you made up for the sake of being snarky? None of them are actually warning him he was about to do 10k worth of damage to it, a lot of the ones you list contain nothing of substance at all, Post 29 for example:

Might be nice to have a read of your own posts before you hit submit?

Was 28. Not 29. My point stands and yours was a full of straw trying to be smart and create angst.

All the posts I referred to talk to the importance of keeping the watch original.
    If real then a service and request to keep the watch as original!

Wibbs wrote: »
    Depends on the cost of the work required G. You need proper expert advice on this as Rolex themselves will often devalue a piece by replacing visible parts that collectors want with age and originality.
    Rolex have a tendency to just refinish cases, replace parts etc without talking to the owner . This may have change but just be careful. If legit and you decide to sell, most of not all possible buyers / collectors want originality.

Henryhill2 wrote: »
    Ok but how do you fix the bracelet and glass without devalueing it?
    Don't touch it... Sell it as is!!

Advertisement